Zombie Rats

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CannonDC
Favorite Zombie Movies: George A Romero - Dawn of the dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 days later among others... I prefer to read rather than watch

Zombie Rats

Post by CannonDC » Fri May 18, 2012 1:03 am

I searched and couldnt find a similar thread so I am sorry if this is a duplicate.

Last night I finished reading Safari Man (mountain man series) by Keith C. Blackmore, if you havent read it basically all the zombies this dude kills are disapearing and he doesnt know why until hes trapped in a house at night and millions of rats pour out of the sewers to consume the freshly killed undead, clothes, bones and all. As you would guess the effect their new dietary suplement has on them is an infectious one.

Ok so Im wondering how many different types of animals would become zombie mutts. Dogs, cats, rats, mice(maybe), crows, bears possibly, pigs, any kind of meat eating animal that had starved to the point where it would consume the dead. Fearless and unable to feel pain. How could you defend against them
Why are there 5 syllables in the word "Monosyllabic"?

Projo
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend

Re: Zombie Rats

Post by Projo » Fri May 18, 2012 6:40 am

Here is one on 48 million year old zombie ants.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80bea ... years-ago/

CannonDC
Favorite Zombie Movies: George A Romero - Dawn of the dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 days later among others... I prefer to read rather than watch

Post by CannonDC » Wed May 23, 2012 2:25 am

The zombie ant thing is interesting but I was thinking more along the line of zombie animals that would attack humans and themselves alike

KeithCB

Post by KeithCB » Wed May 23, 2012 5:55 am

Well, assuming that the animals can be infected by the virus, defending against zombie animals would depend on where and how you would encounter them, I think. Cats and Dogs for example, in a big city , might be confined to their owner's apartments and getting out of it would be challenge number one (unless the owner is in there and breaks down the door for them all--but then, if the owner is in there, there's a chance that the person might have consumed the pet to begin with--eating just enough to rob the animal of mobility). Unless they're strays, which might be too few to band together to actually be a threat, other than passing it on to a living person.

I think in regards to most other domesticated animals--they'd have to escape their pens at first. Zoo animals could potentially be contained.

It would be something to see--a bunch of zombiefied chickens for example. Or cows. Crows could be a serious threat, as there are enough of them flying free to gather up and actually attack something. Trouble is, being dead, I doubt that they'd be able to stay airborne for too long--if at all. I think they'd be too stiff and would be grounded (all my opinion only).

Now, wild animals would be something--if they were animals that took to roving in packs. I actually have a zombiefied grizzy in "The Missing Boatman."

Defending against them would be the same as regular undead, if a person had to--but I don't think the threat would be there unless they could somehow mass together--which is the zombie's main weapon. Singularly, sure they are a problem, but in a large group, they are a force to be avoided at all costs.

All just opinion.

TWhite260
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead, 28 days later

Post by TWhite260 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:46 am

But, for the most part, aren't most infections non transferable between species?

There is always a posibility of a mass infection in cats or dogs that just kills them and doesn't effect any other species. Even zombified, if they were locked in a house, or a single room, they could be easily shot, or just waited out until they starved.
Now offering wholesale sarcasm to the masses!

CannonDC

Post by CannonDC » Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Most infections are not transferable between species, that is until the virus or bacteria evolves. For example the avian bird flu evolved to where it would infect pigs which in turn evolved to infect humans hence being named swine flu.

In reality if a virus existed that turned humans into cannabilistic mindless death bringers it was more than likely created in a lab and test on lab animals like monkeys and rats which have something like 95% similar brain anatomy, which leads me to believe that it would infect regular rats as well.

And Keith, I havent read the missing boatman yet, Ill have to dl it next time Im home, I dont have wifi here at work.

KeithCB

Post by KeithCB » Thu May 24, 2012 4:13 am

And Keith, I havent read the missing boatman yet
Oh that's okay. Only mentioned it as an example. I

CannonDC

Post by CannonDC » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:26 am

I had a nightmare about zombie pigeons... damn it

gustovski
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, zomblies, i am legend, the biohazard, the dead alive,

Post by gustovski » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:49 am

there were zombie dogs in i am legend, and zombie monkeys and pigs and dogs in cod, and sheep in black sheep!
and i believe that any animal could be infected, rats pigeons, cats, dogs, humans, cows, sheep, primates(chimps monkeys humans etc.), snakes, chickens, mice, bears, fish, alligators, kangaroos just to name a few! i could list thousands :words: of possibly infectable
the closer related to humans the more likely they could be pasted to and from humans
imagine a herd of zombie red kangaroos! they would be able to stop a tank!
I love The Smell Of Burnin Zombie In The Mornin...

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 am

One constant in zombie movies isthat the human zombies want to eat human flesh. Would zombie rats want to eat rat flesh instead?

gustovski
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, zomblies, i am legend, the biohazard, the dead alive,

Post by gustovski » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:30 pm

cv66er wrote:One constant in zombie movies isthat the human zombies want to eat human flesh. Would zombie rats want to eat rat flesh instead?
good point i would say they prefer rat but will eat any meat

djblocker88

Post by djblocker88 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 pm

gustovski wrote:there were zombie dogs in i am legend, and zombie monkeys and pigs and dogs in cod, and sheep in black sheep!
and i believe that any animal could be infected, rats pigeons, cats, dogs, humans, cows, sheep, primates(chimps monkeys humans etc.), snakes, chickens, mice, bears, fish, alligators, kangaroos just to name a few! i could list thousands :words: of possibly infectable
the closer related to humans the more likely they could be pasted to and from humans
imagine a herd of zombie red kangaroos! they would be able to stop a tank!
Snakes, fish, alligators, might not get infected. What if it was solely mammalian? Pigeons maybe, tons of birds for mutations to occur. But how many reptiles are there.

gustovski

Post by gustovski » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:15 pm

djblocker88 wrote:. But how many reptiles are there.
lots
goannas snakes lizzards dinosaurs :mrgreen: and much more
it could be only able to infect mammals butthat we dont know

Lord Lav

Post by Lord Lav » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:15 pm

This whole thing would be terrifying. Not only have you gotta dodge human zombies, you gotta dodge every other living thing too??
Lord Lav is a rapper and creator of Zombie Apocalypse Rap Album Lord of the Dead Check out FREE LORD OF THE DEAD PREVIEW

gustovski

Post by gustovski » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Lord Lav wrote:This whole thing would be terrifying. Not only have you gotta dodge human zombies, you gotta dodge every other living thing too??
yup pretty much!
zombies = you are screwed unless you have a bulldozer and more ammo than the queens army

CannonDC

Post by CannonDC » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:12 am

I do have a bulldozer and lots and lots and lots and lots of ammo but idk a reason what really got to me was there are BAJILLIONS (not a real number, i know) of rats and field mice around where I live (farm townish suburb) so if they did feast on the undead and in turn became infected I feel like human population on this planet would be screwed, of course only if they horded together, which if zombie stories have taught us anything they will. No matter how much ammo one has, a thousand tiney little rodents make pretty tough targets.

At least with larger animals you can mostly block their routes of attack

djblocker88

Post by djblocker88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 am

CannonDC wrote:I do have a bulldozer and lots and lots and lots and lots of ammo but idk a reason what really got to me was there are BAJILLIONS (not a real number, i know) of rats and field mice around where I live (farm townish suburb) so if they did feast on the undead and in turn became infected I feel like human population on this planet would be screwed, of course only if they horded together, which if zombie stories have taught us anything they will. No matter how much ammo one has, a thousand tiney little rodents make pretty tough targets.

At least with larger animals you can mostly block their routes of attack
This makes me want to have a Flame Thrower/Liquid Nitrogen sprayer.. with an infinite ammo cheat.

TN-Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Zombie Rats

Post by TN-Shooter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 am

Hollywood zombies are after one thing and one thing only. Braaaiiinnnss!!!

I doubt they would waste their time going after a peanut sized brain in dogs, cats, and rats.
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

djblocker88

Post by djblocker88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:45 pm

TN-Shooter wrote:Hollywood zombies are after one thing and one thing only. Braaaiiinnnss!!!

I doubt they would waste their time going after a peanut sized brain in dogs, cats, and rats.
Now whales would be in trouble. Zombie Whales...

Pooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
ZombieLand

Post by Pooter » Wed May 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Depends on the digestive enzymes from animal to animal.
Asians for example lack the neccessary enzymes to digest Alcohol fully,
and as a result suffer an allergic reaction to called the Asian flush,
where their faces turn red and either a heat or itching feeling is accompanied.

Certain animals can eat other poisonous animals and not be affected,
whereas if another eats it, it will die.

I think you would have to study animal endocrinology to understand it better.
If you can't afford it, make it.
Why buy food, when you can grow it, or hunt it?
Best way to keep meat fresh, don't kill it yet.
Guns are nice, but I like my Cold Steel Assegai Spear.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:52 pm

CannonDC wrote:Last night I finished reading Safari Man (mountain man series) by Keith C. Blackmore, if you havent read it basically all the zombies this dude kills are disapearing and he doesnt know why until hes trapped in a house at night and millions of rats pour out of the sewers to consume the freshly killed undead, clothes, bones and all. As you would guess the effect their new dietary suplement has on them is an infectious one.

Ok so Im wondering how many different types of animals would become zombie mutts. ... any kind of meat eating animal that had starved to the point where it would consume the dead. Fearless and unable to feel pain. How could you defend against them
I think a similar situation don't allowing any realistic prospect of survival is simply avoid from the filmaker.
And anyway if something like that happen I do not think that could be triggered by a lack of food but instead from simple opportunism, which in nature is to make the least effort to obtain the best results, then involve all omnivorous animals/birds/insects or those that feed on carrion.

apocalypsepal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by apocalypsepal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:21 pm

CannonDC wrote:I searched and couldnt find a similar thread so I am sorry if this is a duplicate.

Last night I finished reading Safari Man (mountain man series) by Keith C. Blackmore, if you havent read it basically all the zombies this dude kills are disapearing and he doesnt know why until hes trapped in a house at night and millions of rats pour out of the sewers to consume the freshly killed undead, clothes, bones and all. As you would guess the effect their new dietary suplement has on them is an infectious one.

Ok so Im wondering how many different types of animals would become zombie mutts. Dogs, cats, rats, mice(maybe), crows, bears possibly, pigs, any kind of meat eating animal that had starved to the point where it would consume the dead. Fearless and unable to feel pain. How could you defend against them
Read the book, "Apocalypse Cow"
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal

ZomBiomics
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28d

Post by ZomBiomics » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:07 pm

TWhite260 wrote:But, for the most part, aren't most infections non transferable between species?
Actually, two off the top of my head:
rabies: virus, can infect most warm-blooded animals. A bite always leads to infection. Has very impressive zombie-like potential.
toxoplasmosis: cellular parasite, can infect most mammals. Ingestion virtually always leads to infection. Also has very impressive zombie-like potential, like rabies, it can also manipulate host behavior.

apocalypsepal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by apocalypsepal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm

ZomBiomics wrote:
TWhite260 wrote:But, for the most part, aren't most infections non transferable between species?
Actually, two off the top of my head:
rabies: virus, can infect most warm-blooded animals. A bite always leads to infection. Has very impressive zombie-like potential.
toxoplasmosis: cellular parasite, can infect most mammals. Ingestion virtually always leads to infection. Also has very impressive zombie-like potential, like rabies, it can also manipulate host behavior.
It's possible that rabies could evolve and mutate to cause something very much like this.
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal

Return to “Zombie Biology”