how many of you think a zombie Apocalypse will never happen

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

iggybeans

Re: how many of you think a zombie Apocalypse will never hap

Post by iggybeans » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Absolutely can not happen.
No metabolism, no movement.
Muscles don't contract because of electrical activity, that's just a signal.
ATP is required for all activity.

Dead things just don't get up and start walking around.
They are no longer entities, they are just decaying tissue.

kittykatlover

Post by kittykatlover » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:28 pm

I believe that it could happen. Theoretically, the virus could simulate brain function for a while, and maybe produce some chemical/hormone that slows down the decomposition process. Even so, the zombies would degrade, and the zombie apocalypse would probably only last around a year at most. After all, they are dead bodies and they are decomposing.
You could also say that the zombies aren't "dead" but the zombie virus is controlling the people, and when the host actually dies it only manages to hold on for a little while.

I don't believe the whole revival thing, unless it's been only a little while since the thing died and body functions are still operating.

Of course, the chances of it happening are relatively low and it will most probably be human created, or a long time off from now, with a super evolved virus. With the natural approach, we would almost certainly get warning signs, though if we'll pay attention to them is a different matter.

zombieguide

Post by zombieguide » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 am

I do believe it will happen, maybe not the dead coming back, but a virus should be possible and probably will happen :) There are a lot of studies indicating this can happen and several outbreaks have occurred :O

silverwish

Post by silverwish » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 am

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7- ... ickly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i really hope it does happen though, i already have a bandana, knife and chainsaw, as well as a sexy female and a heroic black man ready to help me out if it does happen :D im still on the lookout for a retarded/wheelchair bound person, a pregnant woman and an old but really smart man (possibly a retired doctor) to complete my crack team of heroes.

ZuluZK

Post by ZuluZK » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Real zombies as portrayed in Hollywood B movies? Complete nonsense.

Global conflict resulting in the destruction of civilization as we know it? Low likelihood, but not impossible.

Global pandemic resulting in widespread loss of life and the collapse of civilization? Unfortunately, much more likely.

Catastrophic global climate or cosmic event, again resulting in widespread loss of life and the collapse of civilization? Scarily, this is both likely and almost completely unpredictable. If you doubt it, just ask folks in Russia about their near-miss on February 15, 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Omh7_I8vI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's my take on the very real possibility of a post apocalyptic world of any kind - walking dead people aren't the main danger.

Walking live people filled with fear, desperation, greed, prejudices, and all the other lovely things that societal norms keep somewhat contained are the real problem at that point.

How do you rebuild society when there are only isolated pockets of people left, each afraid of the other, and all armed to the teeth?

That's a scarier proposition than any zombie.
Last edited by ZuluZK on Wed May 01, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The house of the loud talker leaks.

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 pm

A horrible medical condition that is both highly infectious and untreatable but not quickly fatal or oblivious causing wide spread panic, fear and isolationist tendencies... maybe...
Might even cause widespread breakdown of public services.
Zombies... or a actual apocalypse
only because some unimaginative person ends up labeling some poor group as zombies or starts screaming apocalypse now.

written in your mud with my stick
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Tue May 21, 2013 9:42 pm

The chances of a zombapocolypse? 100% Quantum theory teaches us that anything that can happen will happen,,, and has already happened,,, and is happening now.
Dawn of the dead? well in a parallel dimension that is actually a documentary.
The walking dead? it's reality tv.
Why do I mention all this? well I mention it because I want you to to think about this, Murphys law and quantum theory teach us that somewhere in the universe you are the ruler of the world... it might be here... some time in the near future... be ready for it!
Damn science - you scary!
Now as weird as all that sounds,,, it IS all true. Trust me "knowledge is power",,, nope "knowledge makes you unable to sleep at night because you know that your deepest nightmare can come true"
On the plus side though there is the other side of the coin; You are a world leader because you bring world peace, you are best friends with god because you helped him design heaven, you build a machine that grants wishes and you are omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and omnivorous.

Do i think the zombapocalypse will happen. yes. I really need to stop reading books and theorising.
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:59 pm

freenarative wrote:The chances of a zombapocolypse? 100% Quantum theory teaches us that anything that can happen will happen,,, and has already happened,,, and is happening now.
Dawn of the dead? well in a parallel dimension that is actually a documentary.
The walking dead? it's reality tv.
Why do I mention all this? well I mention it because I want you to to think about this, Murphys law and quantum theory teach us that somewhere in the universe you are the ruler of the world... it might be here... some time in the near future... be ready for it!
Damn science - you scary!
Now as weird as all that sounds,,, it IS all true. Trust me "knowledge is power",,, nope "knowledge makes you unable to sleep at night because you know that your deepest nightmare can come true"
On the plus side though there is the other side of the coin; You are a world leader because you bring world peace, you are best friends with god because you helped him design heaven, you build a machine that grants wishes and you are omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and omnivorous.

Do i think the zombapocalypse will happen. yes. I really need to stop reading books and theorising.

Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

royalflush

Post by royalflush » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I think that there is a possibility of a highly contagious and highly morbid (not mortal) viral or bacterial agent to become such a threat that you can't go outside/to the store/ talk with people --> looting, crime, no presence of local government/police in SOME places and/or the gov/national guard/fema/who not being able to contain and maintain the situation. (remember police and military are people too, and if there is no vaccine, they are at risk and can become just as sick)
leading to people who have defending against people who have not
also leading to people who a incubating the disease trying to get food/help and people who are cautious killing those people to protect themselves.
I can see how that is possible- spainish flu was pretty serious and if something like that happened my ass aint socializing with anyone and many unprepared people would go nuts causing chaos. small pox, ebola, etc... all of those would be bad if contagious enough.

don't see any CNS virus giving zombie symptoms. wwz used rabies as their example b/c its shed in saliva, but they symptoms were way off. most CNS pathologies cause the opposite effect- ataxia (incoordination), stupor, seizures, coma etc... It would have to be an agent that only effected the frontal cortex (personality) and caused long term memory loss--> initiated some primal survival drive etc... never say never, but I'd say that kind of agent is unlikely.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:45 am

I think zombies will come in the form of people whose drug and/or food supply is cut off. They will do anything to get
them from those who still have them

ZombieFinder

Post by ZombieFinder » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 pm

As far as the theatrical "zombies" portrayed in movies like Night Of The Living Dead and the Walking Dead, no. However, I do believe we should be prepared for any end-of- the-world/apocalyptic type event. Whether it be a super volcano explosion, hurricane, biological warfare, or some sort of irreversible sickness we should start preparing ourselves for the worst NOW.
http://www.ZombieFind.com - A zombie apparel, clothing, collectables, and oddities site. Find the coolest zombie products and gear here and find the best deals.

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:00 pm

Oh, c'mon - zombies will definitely happen! Only the prepared will survive ... just you wait!

:D

In the meantime, I'm glad the zombie prep supplies also helped you go through that winter blizzard, saved you a bit of money with food and energy costs, provided a fun, hands on hobby ... etc.

zombie certified
Favorite Zombie Movies: White Zombie (1932)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
28 Days Later (2002)
Zombieland (2009)

Post by zombie certified » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Zombies could exist like the ones we see eating flesh and being overly primal in their aggression for "food" or hunting. It is hard to say what type of zombie we would end up dealing with since right now we only have theories. From what we have gathered so far, the most likely scenario is that the zombies will be more like the infected i.e. not reanimated corpses, but infected humans (28 Days Later (2002), Quarantine (2008) for some examples). Some will say, "then those aren't zombies, because the modern zombie must be dead and then reanimate with no vital signs!" and we would say "you're correct, when only looking at the modern zombie." But something has died with the infected - the person that the infected used to be (personality, emotions). There are a few neurology theories that indicate that certain parts of the brain could malfunction that usually control certain actions like aggression or adrenaline which could be onset by an outside force that got inside (bacteria, parasites, or a virus). Virology shows that if a flu virus combined with the rabies virus it could be close to some of the infectious diseases portrayed in many zombie flicks since it would be a quick-spreading, air-borne virus that would make us rabid and aggressive over a short period of time. Aside from these, most of the main stream media will tell you that a certain drug will create "zombies", but since a drug must be induced by the user, we find that this won't have the epidemic effect that you see in zombie apocalypse movies. Just because the zombies aren't here yet, doesn't mean we should rule out their possibility. They may already exist in another dimension

Sources:
The Truth behind Zombies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5YpWlEFws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zombie Ants (brain example):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Combined viruses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mainstream Media's take on real zombies:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 00787.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dimensions (zombies could exist else where), 2 parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBaYMESb8o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-David (Co-CEO) from Zombie Certified-
If you love zombies, like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/zombiecertified!
We have the largest database of zombie content at http://www.zombiecertified.com.

mavbor

Post by mavbor » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:51 pm

My first post but here is what I think:

1: Zombies like in movies will never happen.

2: We are headed towards a global event, though it may be soon or a very long way off. With global travels an epidemic with a high mortality rate can spread and infect billions before it is even discovered. People are working on these types of viruses and all it would take is one to escape a lab. It could also mutate on its own.

The epidemic would only be the beginning of the chaos.

Lets say it is similar to the Spanish Flu with the an expected fatality rate of 20%. With global travels it is possible that it could be spread globally before the authorities knew it even existed. When it is first reported those who live in the cities will flee if able, thus spreading it even further. After a very short amount of time most of the global population will be infected. (lets say 5 billion are infected out of 7+billion people).

Out of that 5 billion people 20% die. So only 1 billion people are now dead. That doesn't seem like much but its just beginning. With a billion dead there would not be enough resources to properly dispose of the corpses and smaller epidemics may occur killing even more people.

Food shortages would occur relatively fast. Within days grocer stores would be bare, and gas stations dry. Do not expect restocking or fuel trucks anytime soon because most are staying home and not going to work. They have just lost loved ones or are trying to overcome the virus themselves. If they were lucky and didn't catch it they would not want to risk going out.

Power/water outages may occur with no one to fix them. If its summer the corpses will rot and spread disease and if its the winter people will freeze. Crime will skyrocket as people are desperate and will use the chaos to raid and loot. Militia law will likely be enforced and there will be clashes with the military and government. Global economies would be in ruins.

Overall I would expect in the above over 2 billion people dying and that is if its only a 20% mortality rate.

Lets say instead of 20% it had a 50% mortality. The above will be greatly enhanced.

The above is a extreme case but there have been epidemics in the past with near 20% mortality rates and even with the medical advancements that has been made, it if spreads fast enough it wont help. I do think the world is headed towards a global disaster and this is just one possibility. I would say I sound like a nut but this is a zombie survival forums. lol. Asteroid, Caldera (super volcano), Global Warming super storms, War, etc. I also believe if it is to happen it could be a mix of the above. A small asteroid hits and causes tremors and earthquakes that triggers a Super Volcano that triggers yet more stuff. lol. Hopefully not in my lifetime but with 7+ billion people the world needs some way to wipe out a big chunk of that.

Urdnot_Grunt

Post by Urdnot_Grunt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:49 am

Hi all! It's great to be here :) Now to answer the question. Those opinions have been stated before but I'll take a liberty to write that again from my point of view this time since it's my opinion. Okay that sentence was long and messed up. Anyhow:

I don't think zombie apocalypse will happen if we speak about reanimated corpses. Meaning someone drops dead and after few minutes comes back to life and goes bananas. Like someone few pages back said: no metabolism no movement.

However I find it (unfortunately) highly possible for scientists to create a virus that would drive people crazy. A little like in World War Z (movie) where people behaved like rabid animals. A virus that would delete your clear thinking, ethics, morality and sharpen primal instincts. Turning you from emphatic and emotional human into adrenaline pumped mindless predator with a huge craving for meat. Human flesh included. With virus being highly contagious it would spread quickly. Is such scenario possible?

Return to “Zombie Biology”