Types of the living dead

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sam

Types of the living dead

Post by Sam » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:16 am

Kyle hinted towards this, so here is my list of the different types of zombies from film, please try to add to it.

Dream Zombies - A Virgin among the Living Dead
Monk Zombies - Tombs of the Blind Dead
African Slave Zombies - Sugar Hill
Remote control Zombies - Shanks
Techno-Zombie - Shock Waves
"Classic" Romero Zombie - Night of the Living Dead
Spoof Zombie - Michael Jackson’s Thriller
Zombie Animals - Return of the Living Dead Part II
Brain Eating Zombies - Return
Superhuman Zombie - The Beyond
Toxic Zombie - Toxic Zombies
Irradiated Humanoid Mutated Fish Beast Zombies - The Horror of Party Beach
Fast Zombie - Dawn 2004
Smart Zombie – Zombies of the Stratosphere
Haitian Zombie – I walked with a Zombie
Occult Zombie/Ghoul - Hellsing
Last edited by Sam on Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jeff » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:30 pm

Haitian zombies are nothing, don't you remember that movie we watched? Snake...something. Just people whos souls have been taken and have little will of their own. They aren't infective or dangerous in any sense unless you pick a fight with their controller. They'll go down like a normal man.
Even the purest of zen can be interupted by blunt force trauma.
-Jonas

You guys are so unamerican it's killing my dog. -Cyr

mike

Post by mike » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:09 pm

Viral/Bacterial- Easily spread but may have a cure.

Chemical/Radiation- Not likely curable but may be limited to certain contaminated zones.

Biblical/Occult- Would eventually claim everyone but you probably wouldn't have to worry about turning because you got bit.

What did I miss?

Jeff
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:05 am

I'd definately have to add also, the "Ghoul" zombie, the ones typically found guarding and aiding a higher demonic entity (i.e. vampire).
-Jonas

Sam

Post by Sam » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:12 pm

Jeff, ghouls were rolled up with the Romero zombie. Truthfully they aren’t zombies either, they just behave like them. It's a whole other story.

Haitian zombies were never meant to be a threat, in all the movies its not the physical threat presented by them, but the fear of becoming one. Although being at the source for zombie movies(white zombie), they really are the farthest from what we consider zombies.

Edit:

Viral/Bacterial- Easily spread but may have a cure.
Romero

Chemical/Radiation- Not likely curable but may be limited to certain contaminated zones.
Romero/Radiation

Biblical/Occult
These really qualify more as ghouls or some other creature. Odd that there really have never been any Occult zombie movies though. There are no biblical zombies.

mike

Post by mike » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:54 pm

Sam wrote: Biblical/Occult
These really qualify more as ghouls or some other creature. Odd that there really have never been any Occult zombie movies though. There are no biblical zombies.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the book The Dead by Mark E. Rogers is about the apocalypse with a religious outloook.

Sam

Post by Sam » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:18 pm

I think we have different views of the word biblical, personally I feel it denotes something directly pertaining to the bible. I have just started reading The Dead, and yes it does deal with a more spiritual creation.

Jeff
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:48 am

If techno-zombies and "spoof" zombies count, then Hellsing-esque ghouls will make the list.
-Jonas

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:28 am

Fair enough, though you neglected to mention the irradiated humanoid mutated fish beast zombies. They have feelings too you know.

Jeff
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:19 am

Feels like chickin' tonight. I wonder if radioactive zombies taste very good.
-Jonas

Unkle Spunky

Post by Unkle Spunky » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:18 am

as far as biblical zombies....
there is one such film the deals with what you could consider as these...although the film hasn't been released yet...it soon will....

research on certain demons shows that when one particular demon from the hierchy of hell is raised or summoned he shall infect the earth and all dead will be living...and all living will die. :shock:
"Lets put these undead M*!&#r F^@$#rs back in their grave."

mitxmaraude

Post by mitxmaraude » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:43 pm

Does ZS have an official stand as to the cause of zombiism? I'm still somewhat uncomfortable with the "virus" explanation (particularly that of the Solanum virus proposed by Max Brooks - his explanation falls flat of anything approaching what is medically realistic - simply on a neurological level). I'm currently working with a friend pursuing his doctorate in cognitive science to discover if it'd be possible for the brain to be altered in such a way as to create zombies. If our research turns out inconclusive, then I'm going to have to start entertaining some of the other theories...

Ivan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Ivan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:55 pm

I suppose you are excluding Haitian zombies from this?

I suppose a version of the 28.D.L. would be possible via a virus. If the Ebola virus happened to affect the part of the brain responsible for violence (someone on tribes mentioned a lab rat who was constantly in a state of aggitation/aggression) then you would have something pretty similiar to the rage virus, albiet Rage had a MUCH shorter incubation period.

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:27 am

The Romero-Max zombie is pretty much my accepted zombie type.

armfalloffboy

Post by armfalloffboy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:23 am

mitxmaraude, you bring up an interesting question. Let's suppose for a second that the virus shuts down all brain function except for that of the "primative" portion that is "left-over" from our aquatic ancestors, this would allow our "host" creature to only opperate on an "instinctual" level. Let's also suppose that an organisim that is infected with this virus acts like a "community", each individual virus (is that the right term?) contributes to the goals of the "comunity", able to bridge a synapse and "fire" it when needed to "animate" the host. And, as long as I'm just making stuff up, let's say that the goal of the virus is twofold; 1, it is driven to reproduce, therefore the zombie bites its victim in order to spred the disease, and 2, although the "host" nolonger needs to eat, the virus needs an energy source and perhaps there is something about humans that this virus finds "yummy" (human DNA maybe).
The science is beyond me, these are just "ideas".
Can you pick that up for me?

Ivan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Ivan » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:56 am

You know, my wife has degrees in biology and genetics and is in electro physiology now, I should pique her brain over this to see if she has any ideas on if there is a scientific way that this could occur, or at least a more scientific sounding way :)

mitxmaraude

Post by mitxmaraude » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:38 pm

armfalloffboy wrote:mitxmaraude, you bring up an interesting question. Let's suppose for a second that the virus shuts down all brain function except for that of the "primative" portion that is "left-over" from our aquatic ancestors, this would allow our "host" creature to only opperate on an "instinctual" level. Let's also suppose that an organisim that is infected with this virus acts like a "community", each individual virus (is that the right term?) contributes to the goals of the "comunity", able to bridge a synapse and "fire" it when needed to "animate" the host. And, as long as I'm just making stuff up, let's say that the goal of the virus is twofold; 1, it is driven to reproduce, therefore the zombie bites its victim in order to spred the disease, and 2, although the "host" nolonger needs to eat, the virus needs an energy source and perhaps there is something about humans that this virus finds "yummy" (human DNA maybe).
The science is beyond me, these are just "ideas".
Well, I spoke to my cog. science friend last night - we're gonna meet up to research this sometime next week - basically - i think we're gonna look into locust swarms (he's done a bit of research on them) and rabies and see if we can come up with any explicable possibility. Also, we're going to research whether it'd be possible for a human to only die from a headwound, and yet remain animate.

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:13 pm

Keep in mind that zombies supposedly shut down almost all bodily processes that would normally be required for survival, thats why they live through being shot in the body.

mitxmaraude

Post by mitxmaraude » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:47 pm

Sam wrote:Keep in mind that zombies supposedly shut down almost all bodily processes that would normally be required for survival, thats why they live through being shot in the body.
acknowledged, but impossible. the muscles would not function. the zombie would not move - even if the brain remained alive.

what our current hypothesis outlines is basically that zombie-ism is a virus (or combination of viruses) - possibly a mutation of the rabies virus - that causes a neurotoxin/central nervous system depressant to be produced within the body (possibly the pancreas). essentially, this is the link between the zombies we're discussing and Haitian voudoun zombies: a chemcial that supresses brain activity. as a result of this neurotoxin/depressant, we posit that the cortex, and with it, consciousness, is heavily damaged if not destroyed (due to lack of oxygen). all that remains is the rabies-like drive towards aggression (including biting). given this hypothesis, the "head-shot-only" rule is true because the body's functions proceed at such a slow rate that, for example, bleeding to death is impossible; meanwhile, disease and infection are destroyed by the toxin.

again, this is only the second version of our hypothesis - we still don't have the research to prove whether or not this is possible.

NecronomiconExMortis

Post by NecronomiconExMortis » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:20 am

And if 'zombie-ism' is, indeed, a virus... what is the natural host? We have yet to see a full fledged zombie animal - most animals infected with the virus die in a coma - but in order for the virus to have evolved in nature there would have to be a natural host that it didn't effect adversely. Unless it didn't evolve in nature. I believe more testing should be done on the virus in animals and animal cell cultures. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources for any testing of that kind down here.

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:00 am

Why? It doesn’t really matter where the virus came from, its been around for hundreds of years and whatever it grew from is probably long gone.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:21 am

ggg

Bob Twat

Post by Bob Twat » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:55 pm

Being sorta realistic for a moment, the most likely way we would have a scenario resembling a living dead movie would be in the form of an infection, not too different from 28 Days Later, minus the 30 second transformation to a nasty (more like a few hours to days). For a truly dead person to rise up would involve a act of God, so if that happens, theres not a hope of escaping the situation. Thats just my thoughts.

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:17 pm

Yeah, I agree with you, bob.

I think a realistic scenario would be some type of rabies that caused aggression. Just like how animals behave differently when they have it. Maybe the infected won't wanna eat us, but hey, I'm still gonna shoot the sick bastiches!

If only there were some way to put them all in Nazi uniforms.

Man, I hate those guys.

Return to “Zombie Biology”