Blind Zombies

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Blind Zombies

Post by randomusername » Tue May 03, 2005 9:22 pm

Sorry but search didn't turn up anything on blind zombies.

If a human is blind and becomes a zombie, can that zombie see? Same with Deaf people.

Chip Livingstone

Re: Blind Zombies

Post by Chip Livingstone » Tue May 03, 2005 9:51 pm

Gallagher wrote:Sorry but search didn't turn up anything on blind zombies.

If a human is blind and becomes a zombie, can that zombie see? Same with Deaf people.

I would say this would be a question we'd want to answer when the zombies appear. Offhand, I'd say it depends on:

A. The cause and process of re-animation.
B. The cause of blindness in the formerly living being.

Using the assumption that nerve cell structure and/or function are altered (along with that of other tissues) in the process of re-animation, which is likely due to the fact that most of the zombie types we've seen in movies still seem to depend on the existing nervous system to carry messages to the body from the brain, some causes of blindness based on nerve damage may be reversed to some degree or another when these changes occur. Radical changes would have to be made simply due to the fact that nerve cells would need to be oxygen independent in order to function in a body which no longer supplies such to those cells in a normal fashion, or else modified to somehow absorb oxygen by some means other than the circulatory system.

The same would have to be considered in the case of deafness.

This assumes that zombies use the existing optical and auditory organs to percieve their surroundings in the first place, of course.

The more interesting question would be, can zombies be blinded or deafened in the same manner as living beings, and how much would this hamper their ability to interact hostilely with their surroundings?

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Tue May 03, 2005 9:56 pm

I've thought of this. You know how a blind person's other senses tend to become more developed with the loss of sight. Well I don't think a zombie would regain it's sight, but would perhaps have better hearing or smell.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue May 03, 2005 10:37 pm

Morever, would a zombie need to see? Perhaps they'd do just fine on scent and/or hearing or other senses alone.

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Wed May 04, 2005 12:29 pm

I was just watching that Dawn of the Dead flick(the one with ving rhames) and the one thing I did happen to notice was the change in the eye color once a person is Zombitized. They seemed to go from a normal colored iris to a totally alien/animal-like color as well as shape. Perhaps this has something to do with it. Maybe they are able to "see" life and not only life but be able to discern whether or not it's a human or in the case of 'chips' a dog. Maybe they have a sort of thermographic type vision which allows them to see bodyheat/life even from a distance or within buildings. I don't know just a thought.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Viat

Post by Viat » Wed May 04, 2005 12:33 pm

I was under the impression that the clouding of the eyes is a natural process that occurs after death... any ideas anyone?

Stoic Guardian

Post by Stoic Guardian » Wed May 04, 2005 1:08 pm

well I was under the impression that zombies most likely will NOT use their eyes due to the fact that after decay the eyes probally will not even be there...
ashat wrote:Stoic guardian is smarter than you!

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Wed May 04, 2005 1:52 pm

Viat wrote:I was under the impression that the clouding of the eyes is a natural process that occurs after death... any ideas anyone?

Yes the eyes often 'cloud-up' or get a 'glassy' look to them when death occurs. Quite often it is almost immediate.

My point was the eye itself changes. In the movie, the eye color itself, the iris(appeared to change color to a blackish as well as a shape change not quite round but not wuite slits either) This leads me to believe this may have something to do with their 'eyesight'.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Tibus

Post by Tibus » Wed May 04, 2005 2:53 pm

I'm thinking that they would be blind too. If an organ didn't work in a living person its not going to start after they are dead.

Zombies may have a 'sense' for other living things though. Particualary living ones. So I think a blind zombie might start crashing after a person knocking into everything in its way, even if they can't see him/her.
Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!

Viat

Post by Viat » Wed May 04, 2005 3:15 pm

I think that zombies would most likely be, at the most, the equal of whatever human they used to be. The chance of that person becoming stronger, or gaining new powers (apart from, perhaps, paying more attention to their other senses apart from sight) seems unlikely.

Chip Livingstone

Post by Chip Livingstone » Wed May 04, 2005 4:12 pm

Tibus wrote:I'm thinking that they would be blind too. If an organ didn't work in a living person its not going to start after they are dead.

Zombies may have a 'sense' for other living things though. Particualary living ones. So I think a blind zombie might start crashing after a person knocking into everything in its way, even if they can't see him/her.

It's all good speculation, but you'd really need to get hold of one (or probably several) of the damned things under controlled conditions, and do a lot of poking and observation, to really be able to answer questions like this.

Given that you have a facility and subjects available, the question then becomes how you go about determining these answers. This also assumes you aren't lucky enough to have a qualified opthamologist or optometrist available to determine all the little specifics (but this may very well be a good thing, you need practical information more than a lot of fancy lab results in situations like this.)

Pupillary response would be an immediate, dead giveaway (pun not intended) that the zombie brain is still making use of the existing eye structure, probably preserved by whatever process also keeps the zombie from falling apart in short order. Simple test: Flash a pen light directly into the eyes of Mr. Zombie and look closely (with proper precautionary measures) to see if the pupils dilate (become smaller or lager, depending on light conditions.) This is NOT conclusive, as the eye can still work perfectly well even if the brain is no longer able to dilate the pupil (like when they induce this condition chemically to take a look inside during exams.) Zombie eyes may deliberately fail to dilate to give them better night vision.

To determine for certain that the zombie is responding to visual information, you'd need to observe responses to strictly visual input. Given that zombies aren't terribly cooperative subjects, I'd say the best way to do this would be to put one in a room (a very secure one) and observe it from an adjoining observation room which is both sound and air insulated from the containment room (to isolate auditory and olfactory factors.)

If the subject responds to humans in the observation room (though a nice thick sheet of plexiglass) it's a fair bet that it's using visual information in some manner. Step two would be to repeat this process with the same zombie, only this time with some sort of effective blinders in place over the eyes (at least you don't have to be humane about doing this, crazy gluing the eyelids shut should work fine.)

If the subject discontinues reacting to the presence of humans in the observation room, this is a very good indicator that the zombie is using the existing eye to gather visual information. If it continues to react in spite of having the eyes covered, the remaining step would be to remove the eyes completely and test again under the above conditions.

If reaction to human presence remains the same, your zombie is either gathering visual information without the use of the existing eye structure, or is using some other means which provides the same sort of data to its brain which does not involve light perception (i.e. some sort of sixth sense.) In either case, the line of inquiry is no longer a useful one for our purposes.

The practical value of a positive conclusion that the eye is still functional lies in whether or not it might be useful to blind zombies as a combat tactic. If it is determined that the eyes remain functional structures, further practical testing would need to be done to determine how much blindness reduces their threat potential. (Wouldn't it be ironic if the danged things only used ONE sense to identify prey, effectively losing interest in us altogether if that sense is removed... sort of like cats, which won't eat what they can't smell?)

Trial testing would also be needed to confirm that the same means which will blind a human will work on zombie eyes, to ensure that the eyes havn't become resistant to damage as part of their transformation, and to determine whether or not regeneration might take place once damage is done.

Survive1999

Post by Survive1999 » Thu May 19, 2005 4:17 pm

OK I work for an Eye Dr. and Zombies are hosed when it comes to eyes.

First no natural watering (tears) system on they eyes would cause huge corneal damage to the eyes after just a few days. Were talking say 20/100 to 20/400 vision

The other thing is without circlualting aqueous humor your eye pressure would drop and your eyes would shrink to unusable rasins within 2-4 months.

This is not accounting for general decomposition and pest infestations.

Zombies would be light perception only in a very short period of time.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Thu May 19, 2005 4:24 pm

Survive1999 wrote:This is not accounting for general decomposition and pest infestations.

I think the generally accepted theory amoung some "zombie theorists" is that the toxin that causes reanimation maybe overly poisonous to most micro organisims needed to promote normal decomposition so this will not be a problem for the walking dead.

I agree that they more than likely will not be able to use some normal senses that the living use such at sight. I'm not so sure about their sense of small of hearing.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:06 am

Nothing in zombie folklore would lead me to believe that becoming a zombie would fix blindness or the hearing loss. Its similar to someone not having a hand or foot pre-infection, they don't grow a new one. In TWD Hershel gets his leg lopped off to stop a zombie infection, if he lost that infection battle Zombie Hershel is not getting his leg back.

However, the interesting thing about zombies is the lack of dying aspect. I would think if you had end stage cancer or other disease, or you where a day away from having a heart attack, and a zombie bit you, the zombie you will not die of whatever was about to kill the human you. Good news you have been cured, bad news is you still technically dead and walking around as a zombie.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Re:

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Viat wrote:I was under the impression that the clouding of the eyes is a natural process that occurs after death... any ideas anyone?

Yep, that is one of the things that happens after death. :oh:

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Re:

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:56 pm

Survive1999 wrote:OK I work for an Eye Dr. and Zombies are hosed when it comes to eyes...

... Zombies would be light perception only in a very short period of time.
Thank you for your expertise. Your information supports my own guesswork on the subject.

It also suggests that one way of avoiding zombies is to just freeze in place. Unless the zombie is pretty close, it might not even notice your presence and stumble away from you.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Mad Mike

Re: Re:

Post by Mad Mike » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 am

gunsandrockets wrote:
Survive1999 wrote:OK I work for an Eye Dr. and Zombies are hosed when it comes to eyes...

... Zombies would be light perception only in a very short period of time.
Thank you for your expertise. Your information supports my own guesswork on the subject.

It also suggests that one way of avoiding zombies is to just freeze in place. Unless the zombie is pretty close, it might not even notice your presence and stumble away from you.

Only if it didn't smell you! :clap:

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:31 am

randomusername wrote:If a human is blind and becomes a zombie, can that zombie see? Same with Deaf people.
I think no, so they remain blind or deaf.

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:19 am

alessandro wrote:
randomusername wrote:If a human is blind and becomes a zombie, can that zombie see? Same with Deaf people.
I think no, so they remain blind or deaf.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to imagine that they would magically heal themselves! If so, no more cancer, heart attacks, etc - they could end up being healthier than we are! :mrgreen:

Return to “Zombie Biology”