DECOMP RATE?

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

DECOMP RATE?

Post by Mad Mike » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Greetings,

Watched "The Walking Dead" last night & Eugene used a fire hose to destroy zombies - I mean they just literally dissolved!
Makes me wonder, how long would it take for zombies to rot to the point they'd start to fall apart - thus ending the threat.

Opinions? :words:

gundogs

Re: DECOMP RATE?

Post by gundogs » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:05 am

Yeah,it looks like a squirt gun might now be a viable weapon! Those "soaker types"
put out quite a blast

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Those guys spent a good while inside a non-air-conditioned Georgia building (oven). They were probably more well done than the ones outside in the fresh air.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:05 am

Yea, if we're talking an actual (the world is working) fire hose from a truck the pressure is 100-250 PSI which I think could destroy some biters.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:45 am

The Z series I just read had an interesting take on the issue. It suggests that zombies are resistant to the normal decay due to bacteria--but not to mold.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:13 pm

raistlin wrote:The Z series I just read had an interesting take on the issue. It suggests that zombies are resistant to the normal decay due to bacteria--but not to mold.
Yea that would make sense for the Walking Dead cause they're what 2 years into the future? Maybe more?
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:54 pm

I think that the decomposition does not occur as a result of a change in their internal physiology, in short, they are immortal, until terminated breaking their skull.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:37 pm

manowar1313 wrote:
raistlin wrote:The Z series I just read had an interesting take on the issue. It suggests that zombies are resistant to the normal decay due to bacteria--but not to mold.
Yea that would make sense for the Walking Dead cause they're what 2 years into the future? Maybe more?
514 days......

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Telev ... w_Timeline
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:13 pm

manowar1313 wrote:

Well, I had "assumed" that each season represented one year, but....... :?

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:15 pm

alessandro wrote:I think that the decomposition does not occur as a result of a change in their internal physiology, in short, they are immortal, until terminated breaking their skull.

Not likely, as once blood flow stops the tissues will start to die & decompose. :mrgreen:

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:07 am

Do the dead bleed?
Since every single zombie have wound if the phisiology remain the same they drain themself after little time.
Also the theory of the balance of the blood would not be with in accordance with the movement of skeletal zombies.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:20 am

I think it depends who writes the script haha.... :clap:

But if I wanted to get scientific, I think the leaching of calcium from the bones because of poor diet and degradation of tissue would cause a zombie to "crumble". Perhaps some of that calcium is leached from bones to help fuel muscle contractions so that the more a zombie moves, the weaker its bones will get. Quite the opposite of human physiology, I suppose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1334730/
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:15 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:I think it depends who writes the script haha.... :clap:

But if I wanted to get scientific, I think the leaching of calcium from the bones because of poor diet and degradation of tissue would cause a zombie to "crumble". Perhaps some of that calcium is leached from bones to help fuel muscle contractions so that the more a zombie moves, the weaker its bones will get. Quite the opposite of human physiology, I suppose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1334730/

You got a lot of nerve - inserting reality into this conversation!!! :mrgreen:

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Mad Mike wrote:Greetings,

Watched "The Walking Dead" last night & Eugene used a fire hose to destroy zombies - I mean they just literally dissolved!
Makes me wonder, how long would it take for zombies to rot to the point they'd start to fall apart - thus ending the threat.

Opinions? :words:

Each author handles the topic differently. There isn't really a right answer. It seems clear that something supernatural is halting normal cell death or allowing for cellular regeneration without the nutrients supplied by blood flow.

In The Walking Dead they have had several precedents for zombies in high moisture areas to be effected by that water. I'm glad that they are remaining consistent with the rules of the world they are creating.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:23 pm

And that's the best answer because the science behind the zombies can be useful for plot development. Choose the pseudo science explanation that helps to make the story the best :)
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:32 am

raistlin wrote:
And that's the best answer because the science behind the zombies can be useful for plot development. Choose the pseudo science explanation that helps to make the story the best :)

Agreed - what I was leading up to was at SOME point there won't be enough muscle left to allow zombies to move - ergo no more threat! :clap:

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:40 am

Mad Mike wrote:Agreed - what I was leading up to was at SOME point there won't be enough muscle left to allow zombies to move - ergo no more threat! :clap:
Unless you go with the idea that everyone is already infected with the zombie virus, but that you don't become one until you die. Then there is always some threat since the living won't be around forever.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Mad Mike wrote:
alessandro wrote:I think that the decomposition does not occur as a result of a change in their internal physiology, in short, they are immortal, until terminated breaking their skull.

Not likely, as once blood flow stops the tissues will start to die & decompose. :mrgreen:
Plus if they were not decaying how do you explain the large open sores of rotting flesh?

84MeanMachine
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love brain Zombies...Mind these clouds

Post by 84MeanMachine » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:57 pm

GOT IT
GOT IT
GOT IT.......

I think I have the most positive answer to the current theory... First u die... Then u turn... Then you eat other humans that are not zombies.. Then if you eat the brains, It makes you smarter... And with this in consideration if you eat the human tissues then the death in the zombie "decay" is replaced with new fresh blood, like the ultimate blood transfusion that gives you extra time and if you eat enough, then you are always never decaying due to replenish... With that in mind it fully explains why zombies with more gore are the most wild, because they find it harder to replinish their blood stream, which turns them into constant eaters, in other words they eat to stay alive, if you just recently turned, then you have time to stagger around with your full stomach selves...

I won...
Somewhere U met someone that just might be a zombie time to time.. That someone may be both You and I I I III Ihhh

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:20 am

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “Zombie Biology”