It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:02 pm 

I know many variations of Zombies have been presented in films/TV and literature.

I have yet to see a version that makes sense to me. So I've been wracking my brain to come up with a version that is ( for me) more believable.

All I have for now is a rough draft of an idea; an impression. I would really like some feedback and am very open to criticisms and alternate ideas.

So here is what I have been thinking.

Couldn't Zombie be operating like ancient humans operated when they hunted?

By ancient humans, I mean like Homo-Erectus. A meat eating pre-human who caught their food by walking it to death during the day time. Of course, one of the reasons they could do this was because of their ability to cool themselves with sweat. This enabled them to fatigue other animals whose cooling system was not as sophisticated as the human.
I haven't worked out how that could be replicated in Zombie physiology, or if it even needs to be. (there are many things I haven't worked out yet)

What I do like is that they ate meat and they walked their prey to death. Is it possible that the agent that makes these creatures Zombies is operating out of that part of the ancient human brain?

In short;
1) Humans are designed to eat meat.
2) Humans are evolved to hunt by day.
3) Because we are bipeds, we were slow, so the hunt had to be a hunt that involved exhausting the other animal.

I see these as truths, so how do they get woven into the Zombie story?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That's a very interesting concept. The question comes what happens when the unfortunate "prey" goes into a structure? Do they give up, wait them out, attempt to pound down the door? I slightly disagree with the walking prey to death though, from what I've read we supposedly "ran it to death", look at the Tarahumara tribe in Mexico for an example of this ability.
It could incorporated into a story where the virus/disease/curse changes the psychological makeup instead of killing the person, but this would make a zombie that is effected by non head injuries and tires. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 pm 

Thank you so much for responding.

I certainly could be wrong about the walking vs. running idea.

In defense of the walking idea, I would say that humans were much slower than quadrupeds, therefor they might run for a short distance, perhaps in a surprise situation, but more than likely that would lose the prey. If they merely walked and continued to force the animal to get up and not rest, the animal would become exhausted.

Secondly, Homo Erectus possibly evolved into a very good runner- much faster than us. However, in the case of Zombies,they wouldn't have the same physiology as Homo Erectus, they wold have our bodies, however, they would have the instinct to hunt and eat meat.They also would not have the ability to work as a group.

My biggest question right now is, if the reanimated corpse was fresh and 'pristine' would it have the ability to run? What might inhibit it from running?

As to going into a structure, my guess is that they would bang away until they got in; unless an easier prey presented itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:28 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Their relentlessness is one of the scariest things about zombies. While we couldn't walk a deer to death (we'd have to rest before it did), a zombie, never tiring, could walk a human to death. Even if the human ran the zombie would catch up in our sleep. Scary stuff. And good observation.

On a semi-related note, Neanderthals are known to have split the skulls and eaten the brains of other Neanderthals, including their own children. Source is mildly NSFW:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8WLrM8wx6Bk&feature=kp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:57 pm 

What i mean is that there was a time when we were upright meat eating hunters, then our brains got bigger and we became REALLY good upright meat eating hunters.

I'm interested in that period where we were meat hunting, but not the humans we are today brain wise.

More specifically, the brain we had when we did this is what I'm interested in (hunted for meat, yet only possessed heavy primitive tools- tools that were obviously not thrown, but could only be used at extremely close quarters, also their communication skills were quite poor, although they had developed irises, so non verbal communication was quite good).

I think the environment that this was done in resembled an open plain. Which enabled long drawn out chases, hence my reference to walking the animals to death.

Neanderthal is too sophisticated compared to the stage of human I'm trying to remember/discuss. Although they certainly hunted at close quarters, as their spears and mended bones attest to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:20 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarahumara_people
If the Tarahumara can run 200 miles, I'm sure prehistoric humans would be able to as well; now mind you, this is not full out sprinting, but it's a lot faster than walking. Now since these are zombies they would have to deal with the rather limited physique of most people, so if the self preservation instinct isn't working, they would literally run till their legs fall off.
I think as long as rigor mortis isn't an issue and the part of the body in charge of balance aren't damaged, I don't see any reason that there couldn't be "runners". Which, by the way, is one of my actual "OH F*&$%ING S%&T" moments, so if I get nightmares tonight, I blame you. :vmad: