Help with my zombie book....

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moorjust

Help with my zombie book....

Post by moorjust » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:55 am

Hey all. I am writing a story on wattpad called Apocalypse Evolved where nanobots take over live bodies and turn them zed. So.... I was hoping some people on here could throw out scenarios and tribulations I could put my characters in and through. If I use one from here I will give it a shoutout in my book at the end of the chapter I use it in. It would be cool if any of you guys read it first too and comment on the story so far. Thanks for any help everyone! I want this to be a cool story!!!! And a plausible one.

Das Sheep

Re: Help with my zombie book....

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:54 am

Maybe world governments use nukes to create EMP's in an attempt to kill off the Nanobots, destroying their ability to reporduce but also taking out the power grid world wide?

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am

I'm going to move this thread to our fiction section. CP&P is all about skills and prepping, not stories. Welcome to the boards.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:08 pm

That is a definite possibility but most of my plot is focused on a kid trying to take out the computer that was made too smart and controls them all. It would be a great ending for the book though possibly. Because I plan on him at some point being modified by the nanobots. I wonder if EMP would work too. Because I said in a chapter that the bots were organic and were a kind of organic circuitry. Really good idea. Definitely got me thinking.

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm thinking that the story aught to coincide with the winter holidays so your protagonist can be assaulted by zombie Santa with elves on a PAW supply run to a local mall.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:07 am

While entertaining...... haha no. I am trying to keep things at least loosely scientifically explainable. Aso I am blaming China.

veamon

Post by veamon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:11 pm

If it were me and you want it make this story somewhat believable in this genre, I wouldn't make it some regular kid who figures out how to hack the nanobots. It would read like a story not thought out well.

If you insist in having a kid be the hero, he needs to be Rainman-ish.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Interesting permutation.

If the nanites are semi-organic, grown on a manufactured skeleton you could have both. At risk from EMP and at risk from some kind of 'vaccine'

Your hero kid could be portrayed as a low performer at school and more than a bit anti-social, which saves him/her from the initial outbreak. As a bit of a twist, the lead could have a diet that leaves the body a place the nanites cannot live in - like the old man and baby in The Andromeda Strain . Insert junk food jokes...

Looking forward to your posts here - sounds like fun.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 am

No. I am making him out to be a kid that excelled at programming while in high school and the government had been watching him for recruitment. And how many skilled programmers do you expect to survive? I have the us government as having made these advanced bio robots. Our bodies wouldnt be harmed by emp would they? I have research to do. Haha. The robots have no metal or real circuitry. They are organic circuit boards like a brain and cells and nerves work. Nerves are like organic wires and I built upon that idea. And how it happened was the computer the government made was too smart for our own good. What set it off was that someone leaked to China that we had these and china hacked them to attack us so they could come in and take over but the computer took over from there. I hope that makes sense. And don't mind my grammar, please, I am writing this from my phone.....

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:21 am

And I appreciate the startup ideas but I already have about eight chapters written. I am really just brainstorming things to put him and others through and general story direction. I urge you guys to read it so I might have really in depth discussions here. Wattpad is totally free and a good place to find or write stories. Its a website and an app. My only problem is that no one ever wants to take the time to comment and throw out criticism or ideas. That's why I came here. And I really appreciate the ideas you guys have cause I wouldnt think of a lot of it. That sounds like an ad or something but I wouldnt be here if it were so great. I can't ever get people to help me out with my brainstorming there. ...

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:28 am

I will put up a few parts to help explain.....

"That's where you come in my boy. We've been watching the schools for young people that show promise in certain..... elements.... of interest. Then we get close to them and we watch their progress. Terrell was assigned to you. Why? Because you were shown to have incredibly promising ability when it comes to computers and programming codes. Uncle Sam has a lot of uses for folks like you nowadays Mr. Goldman. It was Terrell's job to keep an eye on you until such a time that we were ready to... integrate... you into our program. Make sense?" he asked with a smile that could have been genuine. "Oh it makes sense." I said. "It sounds like a real blast to be..... integrated." His face softened just a touch and he looked at me a moment, as if studying me, before speaking to me again. He must have seen how much this news shook me. "Now wait just one second before you get angry or upset about all this, Jarrett. You have to understand why we here do what we do. All of this that is happenning out there, all of this madness.... This is the reason we recruit people like you. We wanted people that were talented and smart enough to prevent this kind of thing. People who could do great things for their country. This is an honor, son, we chose you out of millions. Hell, if we had more people like you around already then your parents might still be alive now." I interrupted him then. "How did you know about my parents?""

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:32 am

"But there has to be a way to help these people right? To fix them?"

"I wish there was a way, son, I really do. A better explanation is in order here. What do you know about nanotechnology?"

"I know it means working on machines and other technologies at a very small scale. What does that have to do with any of this?"

"It has absolutely everything to do with this, boy, everything." This was the first time I had seen anything resembling anger on the man's face. And it was outright rage I was looking at now, but I knew, and was thankful, that it wasn't directed at me. "We face a problem that will dwarf every other problem that mankind has ever faced. Tornadoes, hurricanes, all the plagues man has ever suffered, will all look like child's play compared to this. We are facing global ecophagy of the human race. And it all started right in Uncle Sam's back yard."

"Whoa. Wait. Eco-what?"

"Ecophagy son, it's when a species is wiped out of it's ecosystem. And we are that species."

"Well how? Why?"

"We have been working on development of our nanotech for a while now. Over the last three years we have made massive amounts of progress. The United States has dumped billions into developing machines that could navigate around inside the human body and either help or harm it. You've seen the harm first hand. The scientists who were working the frontlines of all this business were only told of the peaceful applications this technology would be used for. We also had a separate team working on weaponization. I'm getting a little ahead of myself here though. It started by seeing just how small and functional we could make these things. It turned out that the sky was the limit when we succeeded in both ways. We could implant these in a person and cure damned near anything. Cancer? Gone. Cut your arm off? We'll grow you a pretty new one. Feeling scrawny? we'll bulk your ass up. Got a cold? Consider that virus eradicated. We were so happy with ourselves, let me tell ya. But we were very limited also. It took a great deal of time and money to manufacture these tiny machines. So we looked into self replication. Don't say it. That sure bit us in the ass here. We were able to cultivate a virus that didn't cause any symptoms. it just entered the body and reproduced. A week later most of it would die off. A month later it would die completely. No harm done. After that we were able to successfully splice this virus with the nanobots we made. It was basically making an organically based machine, a self replicating, asexual, organically based, machine. Just like cells split to make new cells, these organic circuitry robots split to make new robots. It's the greatest miracle of science man can ever hope to achieve, and we did it. Forget the space race and arms races of the past. This made America a god among nations. There is no limit to the kinds of applications for this technology. That, unfortunately, is the sharpest double edged sword that history will ever know and also the reason it was to be kept the greatest secret it would ever know."

" I guess the secret's out now right? But how is it that people are eating each other? I am not exactly making that connection, sir."

"Damn it boy, I told you to call me Joe. This isn't boot camp alright?. And to answer your question, I told you about the second department of scientists that were weaponizing these. For some reason our government just can't resist the next great weapon. As a military man I can respect that, but as a father, a husband, and a member of a dying species I absolutely detest it. We learned not one godforsaken thing from Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We made a form of the nanobot that could reside in the human brain. There were so many possible ways to use it that Uncle Sam was jumping for joy. You could issue commands and force a man to obey. He would be the perfect spy, feeding us video and audio, and completely disposable because we could use the enemy's own men. You could use the bots to block pain receptors, increase bloodflow, and release adrenaline into a man's body. We could kill soldiers, make them follow orders unquestioningly, or we could make them superhuman. There would be no better assassin than an enemy soldier turned remote controlled supersoldier. It would look like their own man turned on them. We could also drive them insane enough to forget everything else but the drive to kill and eat. See the correlation? It's like a tiny robotic lobotomy. It would force them to turn on one another. We could drop it from a drone and viola there the enemy is just killing each other. None of our boys would be lost. Ever. But as for what we have running our streets? Think of the human brain as if it were a battery. You can use fresh new batteries to power anything. But what about the ones that die? you just put em in your remote or something else that doesn't need all that power. This is what these particular things do. They feed off the nonessential portions of the brain, basically destroying what makes us who we are and using that to fuel their bioprocesses. What is left is only a shell, a hungry nasty mother of a shell that can feel no pain and only wants to eat. That shell is the simplest most efficient form of life. It also leaves that shell open to remote takeover. All of these "people" running amuck are not doing it by random design. There is a queen. That's why we need you."

"How did this happen, sir, err, I mean Joe? Why is there a queen at all? Why is this happening the way it is?"

"Excellent question, son, and also the same question that good old Uncle Sam wanted the answer to. But we think we have the answer. See, China has been hacking our computers and paying people for intelligence leaks for years. It's the giant game of chess that all of us powerful nations play. But they never got very far.... until they did, that is. Now all we know is that code was sent via China into our queen system. We don't know who or why. We can only assume it was the Chinese government declaring war on us, waiting for us to die, waiting for the virus to run it's course before they take over. They just don't seem to understand, whoever they are, that they may have declared war on, not just us, but the entire human species. The queen was a necessity to control the billions of bots we were using and monitoring. No human could do it. Needless to say, she is the most powerful computer this world has ever seen, sending and receiving terabytes of information in just nanoseconds. Well, just put two and two together, boy, you're sure to end up at four."

"You mean the queen is..... self aware?"

"Basically yes."

"Why not just bomb it then?"

"Not possible. She resides deep in a bunker under the streets of Washington. Not even our best bombs or tanks or any of it will scratch the surface. It has to be done in person. Her codes need to be repaired or destroyed utterly. That's why we have you, Jarrett."

"Okay. What do I need to do?"

"What you do, Jarrett, is learn.....for now"

"What do I learn? Why not let me go now and help before more people get hurt?" I wasn't keen on the idea of putting myself in harm's way, but I would do what I had to do in order to help. Besides, it wasn't like I could just go home and forget about it. A pang of sadness hit me at that moment when I thought about home. I could never have the normal life I wanted now.

"You are too important, son. You're the ONLY one with a chance at this. You are everyone's only chance. We need to be sure that you are sent out of here as ready as you can be and with as much help as we can offer you. Don't rush this. I am aware of the stakes. More aware than you can imagine. I don't take any of this lightly, I promise you that. But for God's sake listen to me on this. There are things you need to know."

"Then let's get started."

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:33 am

Have the zed's disappear for a thousand years behind a giant fence. The survivors split into several kingdoms and start fighting over a steel chair kind of like a deadly game.

They don't know the slow walkers (zed's) are coming back.

Also lots of fighting sex and dragons if you can work them in.
Beretta accept no substitute.

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:34 am

Those should help you guys see a little better what I am doing.

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 am

I like that fence thing. I may use that in a future story. Seriously got me thinking on that one.

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Can you post a link to your story?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I tried. Won't work. You hafta be logged in to wattpad to see it.

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Maybe I missed it but what's the name of the story then?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

moorjust

Post by moorjust » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:44 pm

It's called Apocalypse Evolved. My name on there is moorjust.

nathat

Post by nathat » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 am

I've always had an issue with the "organic computer" concept. If it is organic, there is no programing but rather instincts/predispositions. However these instincts and predispositions can be overidden by other factors, but not programming. If you're going Nano-I thinkt he organic side is far fetched. Now if the nanos built a virus/organic cell to complete their work and then were taken out I could see something like that. Just be carefull with the "Oh it's an organic computer" unless you have an amazing explination as to how that works. Just a personal opinion however.

Troubles to go through?
*If he was an amazingly smart kid in highschool, he's probably an outcast/nerdish type. Could always have the hot girl who manipulates him with affection.
*Could give him a character flaw to keep it interesting. I doubt he would be addicted to drugs considering his personality, but perhaps he's too trusting or a mean/violent streak that comes out when he thinks no one is watching.
*choosing between morality and logic. Family is about to die, no way they can survive. So saving 5 strangers or 2 family members who are practically dead already.

Just some ideas. Remember to make him human is my main suggestion. He is the hero I'm guessing, but that doesn't make him perfect or even good. If he is good, make sure you build the background as to why. If he's bad, make sure you build the background as to why. Just my $.02 which is worth about half a penny.

Return to “Zombie Biology”