Researcher: Smartphones creating digital zombies

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Researcher: Smartphones creating digital zombies

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:58 am

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/res ... 73113.html

One of author Stephen King's horror novels is called “Cell,” the apocalyptic story of a mysterious pulse broadcast over a global cellular network that turns everyone who is talking on their phone at that instant into murderous zombies.

King's point was the fact that almost everyone on earth had a cellphone and was thus vulnerable to zombiehood. Just keep in mind that King's cautionary tale appeared in 2006, a year before the first iPhone and the explosion of smartphones that quickly followed.

Maybe King was onto something. Think of how many people you see walking down the street or in their car, talking – or more likely accessing data. Maybe it doesn't require a mysterious signal to turn us into zombies.

South Korea sets the pace
Devra Davis, Ph.D., president of Environmental Health Trust, a nonprofit research and policy organization, is worried that's what's happening – that smartphones are turning us into digital zombies. It's bad in the U.S., she says, but not nearly as bad as in South Korea – at least, not yet.

South Koreans have embraced technology with an enthusiasm perhaps unmatched elsewhere in the world. So much so that today, there is a recognized condition of “smartphone addiction” that Davis says is rising to epidemic proportion.

In a recent report South Korean medical researchers are finding a rise in what they call “digital dementia” -- the tendency of the young to be so obsessed with smartphones that they can't recall phone numbers, write legibly or even look people in the eye. Neuroscientists say those are all signs of a type of brain damage.

Davis cites data showing that in South Korea, 20% of 10- to 19 year-olds spend seven hours a day on smartphones and tablets, the highest exposure in the world. According to the Korean Ministry of Science, the country has more digital devices than people (as does the United States), with many children beginning to use devices almost before they can walk.

Left brain – right brain
"Young people who are heavy technology users are likely to have a properly developed left hemisphere of the brain while the right hemisphere will be unused and underdeveloped,” said Psychiatrist Dr. Byun Gi-Won, of the Balance Brain Center in Seoul.

Davis says the evidence is all around for anyone looking up from their screen to observe; young parents glued to their phones while strolling with their toddlers – some of whom are also zoned into their own electronic devices. Families seated for a meal, each immersed in their own screen.

“When we strip away from our lives all the electronified trappings and stuff with which we are so preoccupied; when we throw away all those things we now crave and believe we need, what is left is what essentially makes us human,” Davis said. “The rush to digitize toddlers and young children flies in the face of what developmental psychologists have long understood. Children learn best by direct human touch and eye contact — from real people, not machines.”

Cancer link?
And there is another issue. Davis is worried that the expansive growth of wireless communication is taking place without anyone thinking about the long-term impact it can have on developing brains, bodies and babies who are growing up surrounded by radiofrequency radiation – also known as microwave radiation. This, she says, is something very new in human history.

Her advice to parents? Don't allow children to become fettered to a digital device. If digital devices must be used to distract a toddler on a long car trip, she says, put them on airplane mode and make sure they remain disconnected from Internet or Wi-Fi. Keep calls and connection times as short as possible.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Re: Researcher: Smartphones creating digital zombies

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:01 am

It is an interesting article. What the article doesn't address is that while the phones are getting smarter and the people stupider, there may be fewer in number that can survive a disaster becauise they have spent thier time living in a virtual world walking around instead of keeping an eye open.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:19 am

doitnstyle1 wrote:What the article doesn't address is that while the phones are getting smarter and the people stupider, there may be fewer in number that can survive a disaster becauise they have spent thier time living in a virtual world walking around instead of keeping an eye open.
Ther'll be an app for that.

"I have ordered your preps and had them delivered to the bug out location."

"Thank you siri.."

"There is an animated corpse to the southwest. I suggest you run northeast"

"Which way is northeast, Siri?"

"Turn left."

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:32 am

cv66er wrote:
doitnstyle1 wrote:What the article doesn't address is that while the phones are getting smarter and the people stupider, there may be fewer in number that can survive a disaster becauise they have spent thier time living in a virtual world walking around instead of keeping an eye open.

"Thank you siri.."

"Turn left."
I lol'd at that.

I recently took a pre-employment test. There were basic math questions that required some averaging, long hand division, even basic addition and subtraction. Im not gonna lie, I had to check myself a few times, but out of the 150 or so people that took the test, 40% failed (less than 70% scores). That is what? 6th grade math? This was for a public professional level accounting position. So these people were experienced accountants!

To be honest, I went to college in the early 90's. probably the last time I did math without a calculator in a class was sometime in the late 80's.

My niece is 12 and nephew 9. Went to Olive Garden with the whole family and she was glued to her iPad mini and he was glued to his iPod touch the entire time until dinner came.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:17 pm

While the article seemed to be well done (from a writing standpoint), the overuse of the Zombie metaphor is really starting to get old. Yeah, there's a lot of behavioral issues emerging thanks to advances in communications technology, but intimating that those behaviors somehow make a person less than human is insulting on a very fundamental level.
cv66er wrote:

"Thank you siri.."

"Turn left."
I lol'd
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:30 pm

cv66er wrote:

"Thank you siri.."

"Turn left."
That is pretty funny, but I can actually see a type of virtual helper like a really advanced version of Siri being very likely in the next decade or two.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Rev wrote:
cv66er wrote:

"Thank you siri.."

"Turn left."
That is pretty funny, but I can actually see a type of virtual helper like a really advanced version of Siri being very likely in the next decade or two.
Particularly with integration of google glass or something similar. I'd call him Chesty.

Battlefield integration.
"Chesty, ID that armor and tag it for the squad."
"Chesty, doublecheck the grid for the next checkpoint."

Shooting:
"Chesty, estimate wind call."
"Chesty, estimate hold over for changing to 168gr."

Hiking:
"Chesty, the trail is blocked ahead. Highlight an alternate route."
"Chesty, tell me about this section of the Appalachian."
"Chesty, show me the nearby campsites."

Shopping:
"Chesty, price check the peanut butter for me."

Social:
"Chesty, find me a bar with a good Vodka Collins."
"Chesty, find me a showing of RED 2 I can make it to on foot."

I remember my parents bitching about kids watching too much TV, then the same thing was said about computers, now mobile devices. After awhile it starts to sound like this:

The temptation seems to be to blame the technology. "Automatic transmissions make drivers lazy! Calculators are making kids stupid! Telegrams are making kids rude and terse! The modern postal system is destroying casual conversation!" Every one of those was or is a complaint voiced or written down about the technology. The ugly truth is that some folks need to be sat down and told that they aren't special little snowflakes, they aren't genius intellects surrounded by morons. They're just like everyone else.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:30 pm

If the camera on google glass ever gets there it you could make a spotter app for the range, and you could probably get a pretty accurate ammo counter on your HUD.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Image ..... Image

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:40 pm

cv66er wrote:

"Thank you siri.."

"Turn left."
Nicely done, cv66er; nicely done.

I lol'd at the comic absurdity of this. Then I cried at its essential truth.

Return to “Zombie Biology”