World War z zombie type book vs movie

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

vegasguy

World War z zombie type book vs movie

Post by vegasguy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 am

I thought the ones in the book were shumblers and could not run, Why did they change it?

Does anybody else think runners that require headshots(not 28 days later)are way more terrifying then then shumblers?

Mr. E. Monkey

Re: World War z zombie type book vs movie

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:15 am

I thought the ones in the book were shumblers and could not run, Why did they change it?
George Lucas Syndrome

Does anybody else think runners that require headshots(not 28 days later)are way more terrifying then then shumblers?
I think they're more unrealistic, and therefore less interesting. (Frankly, if turning into a zombie turns a person into a superhuman Olympian who roars like a T-Rex, I can't wait to get infected. I can handle being gray, stinky, and cannibalistic with that kind of trade-off. :mrgreen: ) Ragers would be terrifying. Shamblers would too, in their own way. Super runners? I can't get into the show as well, so they don't scare me as much.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:26 am

My understanding is that the tech drove the decision...someone pitched the ant-swarm look, and they went from there...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:27 am

Jamie wrote:My understanding is that the tech drove the decision...someone pitched the ant-swarm look, and they went from there...

Jamie
George Lucas Syndrome
A situation in which sci-fi movies often sacrifice good-quality acting and a coherent story in order to milk in the special effects
:wink:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:19 am

I also heard that Pitt tried to write the screenplay more like the book but it didn't translate well. People put Brad Pitt down for not being true to the book, but honestly he was a mega fan of the book and used some of his own money to get this movie made.

That is why they brought in Damon Lindelof, to help with the re-write and to reshoot about 40 minutes of the movie.

http://www.businessinsider.com/brad-pit ... r-z-2013-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... ar-z-drama" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its 2013, shambling zombies are old school, and would take up too much time in some scenes. With the Walking Dead, you have multi-season 1 hour episodes, so your zombies have plenty of time to shamble. With WWZ you have a single 2 hour movie, that involves multiple locations and storylines so they don't have time for shambling.

Also while having a multi-character, multi-short story flashback book is easy, making it into a mass appeal movie is near impossible. It made sense that Pitt is some UN government agent main character going from place to place and being physically in the story, verses being the government interviewer

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:41 am

Mikey...I read the VF article previously and have followed this for a long time. I agree 100% with your assessment. I think the problem was that the book was very well received and everyone wanted to make sure they got the film rights before anyone stopped and thought about how it would translate to the big screen.

Personally I always thought that it woudl translate to HBO/cable much better. You have 1 hour to tell a chapter. The book is 50(?) chapters long. You have 4 seasons to shoot and really only need to hire one person on a long term basis as very few characters show up twice, and only the narator is present in many chapters. Hell, you could probably get the celebrity fans of the book to show up in the episodes for next to nothing for cameos.

While Pitt's production company owns the rights to the name, they could always pitch the show idea since it is so different from the movie that is coming out next week. One can only dream...
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:08 am

Murphman wrote:Mikey...I read the VF article previously and have followed this for a long time. I agree 100% with your assessment. I think the problem was that the book was very well received and everyone wanted to make sure they got the film rights before anyone stopped and thought about how it would translate to the big screen.

Personally I always thought that it woudl translate to HBO/cable much better. You have 1 hour to tell a chapter. The book is 50(?) chapters long. You have 4 seasons to shoot and really only need to hire one person on a long term basis as very few characters show up twice, and only the narator is present in many chapters. Hell, you could probably get the celebrity fans of the book to show up in the episodes for next to nothing for cameos.

While Pitt's production company owns the rights to the name, they could always pitch the show idea since it is so different from the movie that is coming out next week. One can only dream...
That would be interesting. You know I don't remember the last time someone made a TV series like that. Kind of like Twilight Zone, Goosebumps, or Creepshow, where each episode would be a stand alone story but all with a similar theme. You just have the interviewer in a room starting off the show and the "guest star" would be asked how they survived the zombie apocalypse, and the rest of the episode is "their" story. You can have the Asian guy talk about being the Chinese Sub Commander. Dakota Fanning or some other teen star could be the kid with the parents in Canada. Heck you can even have Justin Bieber, playing himself and have some wacked out storyline of him being a snot nosed millionaire kid singer, to being all alone, wearing rags and scurrying around the zombie infested landscape.

Some of the stuff mentioned in the Vanity Fair article mentioned the studio's wanting a "new franchise" because they lost the Marvel movies. I wonder if this WWZ movie is open ended, so there is room for sequels.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:40 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
Murphman wrote:Mikey...I read the VF article previously and have followed this for a long time. I agree 100% with your assessment. I think the problem was that the book was very well received and everyone wanted to make sure they got the film rights before anyone stopped and thought about how it would translate to the big screen.

That would be interesting. You know I don't remember the last time someone made a TV series like that. Kind of like Twilight Zone, Goosebumps, or Creepshow, where each episode would be a stand alone story but all with a similar theme. You just have the interviewer in a room starting off the show and the "guest star" would be asked how they survived the zombie apocalypse, and the rest of the episode is "their" story. You can have the Asian guy talk about being the Chinese Sub Commander. Dakota Fanning or some other teen star could be the kid with the parents in Canada. Heck you can even have Justin Bieber, playing himself and have some wacked out storyline of him being a snot nosed millionaire kid singer, to being all alone, wearing rags and scurrying around the zombie infested landscape.

Some of the stuff mentioned in the Vanity Fair article mentioned the studio's wanting a "new franchise" because they lost the Marvel movies. I wonder if this WWZ movie is open ended, so there is room for sequels.
Based upon where the movie was supposed to end previously, I think that the movie is definitely set up for a sequel. The VF article said they cut the Russian battle (on whihch they spent gobs of money), so being able to incorporate that footage into another movie would make sense.

The big difference with WWZ is that theree is a definitive ending. I think it would be hard, but terribly brilliant, for a show to pitch a certain number of seasons because they know exactly how the show ends. To many times a good franchise does a terrible job of ending a popular show becuase they have to, not because htey want to, but I guess when millions of dollars are at stake, a shitty ending after getting paid a few million more, is the least of those people's problems. :)

The other shows that were stand alone, that I can think of, rarely were the smaller portion of the big picture. That is why i enjoyed the book so much. It is rare to get a compilation of events that are written in a different character's perspective and not have an overlap of personalities. Brooks did such a good job creating his characters, before he ever connected them through the ZPAW, that I think he could have connected them with almost any dystopia situation and had it come out very well written.

Not to derail the thread, but I wanted so much more for WWZ...
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Return to “Zombie Biology”