My 2c in Zombie Biology

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dark_Rhodes
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, the first Resident Evil, the last Resident Evil, Walking Dead

My 2c in Zombie Biology

Post by Dark_Rhodes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:39 pm

I've always thought that many of the shows almost always make the zombies, and how they act, into an accident. Like one big huge genetic "Oooops, my bad." from mother nature.

A big accident may be the case with some books, movies, etc., but I've always thought that there should be more.

A human being is basically one of the most advanced bioelectric chemical machines ever evolved/created.

To think that something with all that advanced bio-tech would just become a mindless, eating machine doesn't sit well with me.

It's one of the main reasons I started writing ZA fiction for myself. The status quo never tasted right to me. It was always too generic, too cookie cutter.
Last edited by Dark_Rhodes on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: My 2c in Zombie Biology

Post by teotwaki » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:54 pm

I can't recall the book but one author created zombies with a form of telepathy and a hive mind for distributed intelligence. In that way they were evolving to be more efficient at hunting warm blooded humans.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 pm

My thoughts are that viruses have shown some level of intelligence. They can cause people to want to enter water, whereby they spread, or suddenly become more extroverted and outgoing right before taking a nose dive into more serious symptoms (allowing for spreading). I think a zombie virus could create something of a hive mind and communicate through release of pheromones or other chemicals. There might develope different strains to spread using different strategies. These strains might even start to compete with one another and cause some zombies to destroy others.

Just my thoughts.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Dark_Rhodes
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, the first Resident Evil, the last Resident Evil, Walking Dead

Post by Dark_Rhodes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:53 pm

woodsghost wrote:My thoughts are that viruses have shown some level of intelligence. They can cause people to want to enter water, whereby they spread, or suddenly become more extroverted and outgoing right before taking a nose dive into more serious symptoms (allowing for spreading). I think a zombie virus could create something of a hive mind and communicate through release of pheromones or other chemicals. There might develope different strains to spread using different strategies. These strains might even start to compete with one another and cause some zombies to destroy others.

Just my thoughts.
Woods -

This is exactly my train of thought also.

It's always bugged me that even something as simple as normal human physiology is overlooked in many movies and books.

Zombies consume victim after victim, but nothing ever comes out the "other end" so to say.... :shock:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:05 pm

I think it was in World War Z (the book, not "Brad Pitt Zombie Movie") where the zombie's abdomens would eventually burst if they got too stuffed.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 am

teotwaki wrote:I can't recall the book but one author created zombies with a form of telepathy and a hive mind for distributed intelligence. In that way they were evolving to be more efficient at hunting warm blooded humans.
Was this "Cell" by Stephen King?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:09 am

MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:I can't recall the book but one author created zombies with a form of telepathy and a hive mind for distributed intelligence. In that way they were evolving to be more efficient at hunting warm blooded humans.
Was this "Cell" by Stephen King?
It's not the story teotwaki is remembering, but that's a major plot point in my zombie story here at ZS.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Well I just watched about 40 minutes of a new Zombie movie called Day of the Dead Bloodlines.

It has the major Zombie movie flaw that I hate. Differing infection/turn rates. Or inconsistent infection lore. [bad acting, directing, FX, camera aside]

The thing that interested me right away was a 'uberhuman' jerk introduced in the beginning that was having a blood study done on him because he had an uberimmune system. I could anticipate where that was going and that it was a plot gimmick I don't remember seeing before.

But the thing that then killed it for me was the inconsistent infection and turn rates.

Semi Spoiler Alert:
Patient Zero died [COD was supposedly H1N1 influenza], was autopsied, and then used as a teaching aid in a teaching hospital. After days, maybe a week or more dead? At least! Then all the sudden he's standing up and bites uberhuman, who instantly turns into a Zombie...

Then there's WWZisk spread, just couldn't get that one door closed and locked to save the world huh?

Anyhow, I couldn't finish it.

Return to “Zombie Biology”