It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:05 pm 

In many discussion, movie and tv show, people are aware that we must avoid noise to attract the zombie. But as i could understand why a zombie would be attracted by a human voice, as it is their main food sources. why should a zombie be more inclined to be attracted to let say, a car noise,music, gunshot etc..... than any others noises ?

Is that because they are noisier than the average sound in the area ? because Zombie relate them to human presence ? Because it trigger memory ?

and why would a zombie be curious of such noise ? why would it be more attracted to the noise of a gunshot that maybe 1km away instead of something happening next to it ?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My understanding is that any sound with an initial threshold is 24 DB with a frequency range of 17 Hz to 240 Khz will attract a zombie or other assorted non stationary cadavers, however if it is accompanied with a pressure wave of 16 hectopascal with a frequency oscillation of 30 teradynes to 45 teradynes that will prevent the undead from detecting it.

It is theorized that the reanimation process created a protective protein strand around the tympanic membrane and associated nerve bundle, L714B3-T, which prevents heterocyclic declination which allows normal hearing to continue regardless of the general decay state of the undead except for frequencies in the 30 teradynes to 45 teradynes rage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:44 pm 

Good question! Please join my thread which is directly about zombie behavior and add your thoughts.

Regarding zombie reaction to sound: from what we have seen in The Walking Dead, it seems like anything different from background noise attracts zombie attention. That behavior also conveniently explains why zombies would gather in hordes, as one zombie is attracted towards the motion of another zombie they would naturally tend to aggregate in larger groups as time goes on.

I suspect that predatory behavior is different from what you called curiosity. I bet once predation is triggered most zombies won't be swayed from the chase by other noises. Though there seems to be a random factor too. You can almost count on one zombie out of a group to do something unexpected!

Absent stimulation of any type, the zombies of The Walking Dead seem to go into a sort of sleep mode. They stop moving, they sit down or lay down and even close their eyes. Until some new sound rouses them to action again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:54 am 

It seems to me that they react to anything which is out of ordinary for them. It's like a compulsion. I don't think they can distinguish what they hear, they just hear *something* and if it's loud enough or repeats then they would roam there as it may mean food. It kinda reminds me of my cat and they dog. Whenever they hear something going on in the kitchen they come running as it may be food. That's how I think zeds react to noise.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:33 am 

Well since I am already deaf as a post I assume that after I become a zombie, I will still be deaf. I'm just going to follow the rest! Haha. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:25 pm 

I think a zombie could have the same hearing abilities of an human.
They are attracted by the noise since means something alive is near them.
But what matters to unleash their frenzy, after they reached the place of the sound, it's the vision of prey, if prey isn't there,they remain there, but confused.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:29 pm 

I never liked the idea of them being attracted by noise. If there is a waterfall nearby, they'll all end up being swept away by the river. It just doesn't seem frightening enough. I think zombies should be able to detect humans like a shark can detect their prey, some creepy sense like magnetism.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:03 pm 

I like to think of sound as causing the zombie some level of pain. Like light when you have a migraine, but it's the audio assaulting them if it is higher than a particular threshold. They become agitated - their senses piqued.

The observation that cicadas chirping like mad around zombies that can't find them (since they are small, camoflaged and up high in the trees) or rats in a pitch-black sewer tunnel can keep the zombie horde active seems like a plausible explanation. Maybe they can smell the rat. But can the zombies smell the cicadas?

The blind zombie will still move toward and swipe at a noise, but is not activated unless it can smell or feel prey. A deaf zombie will respond to visual stimuli so it seems to be far easier to activate if positioned in the proper facing.

The Walking Dead had an episode with a zombie attractor that was nothing more than a windchime / small windmill. It created motion & reflected light visible at a distance, but also creaked metallically and made noise from the wind. It worked beautifully too because zombies fell in the pits surrounding the device presumably due to their limited attention being focused on the noisy/shiny thing. Most often they don't have a problem with topography, but in that case they did. And a hunt reflex hadn't been activated - no prey present.

Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:53 pm 

azrael99 wrote:
In many discussion, movie and tv show, people are aware that we must avoid noise to attract the zombie. But as i could understand why a zombie would be attracted by a human voice, as it is their main food sources. why should a zombie be more inclined to be attracted to let say, a car noise,music, gunshot etc..... than any others noises ?

Is that because they are noisier than the average sound in the area ? because Zombie relate them to human presence ? Because it trigger memory ?

and why would a zombie be curious of such noise ? why would it be more attracted to the noise of a gunshot that maybe 1km away instead of something happening next to it ?

This is one of my questions when watching the walking dead.