It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:21 pm 

I have a plan that follows the slow and shambling zombie genre. I like to think zombies will be like those in The Walking Dead - slow, cumbersome and not very clever (sounds like some of the kids I teach). I think this would be the most realistic approximation if it ever happens as the loss of brain function along with the 'already dead' thing wouldn't lend itself to much in the way of coordination.

I wouldn't like to think they have any intelligence or cooperative abilities like those in The Omega Man (and lesser extent in I Am Legend) - way too many issues with conscience when they talk to you as you blow them away and they'll easily out-think the traps made by my starved and tired brain. This is more like the 'collapse of society' starved and scared city dweller looking for food type scenario. Not really the same thing.

After watching WWZ and 28Days I am not liking fast zombies at all. If that happens then my plan is all to pot and needs a complete overhaul. Fast Zombies - I think I'll join the winning side and get bitten quick.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:41 am 
Spammer
Spammer

mattnall wrote:
I have a plan that follows the slow and shambling zombie genre. I like to think zombies will be like those in The Walking Dead - slow, cumbersome and not very clever (sounds like some of the kids I teach). I think this would be the most realistic approximation if it ever happens as the loss of brain function along with the 'already dead' thing wouldn't lend itself to much in the way of coordination.

I wouldn't like to think they have any intelligence or cooperative abilities like those in The Omega Man (and lesser extent in I Am Legend) - way too many issues with conscience when they talk to you as you blow them away and they'll easily out-think the traps made by my starved and tired brain. This is more like the 'collapse of society' starved and scared city dweller looking for food type scenario. Not really the same thing.

After watching WWZ and 28Days I am not liking fast zombies at all. If that happens then my plan is all to pot and needs a complete overhaul. Fast Zombies - I think I'll join the winning side and get bitten quick.

The problem is walkers aren’t consistent. The first season had a different director. His idea was that walkers are kind of smart. They were able to recognize things – see the very first zombie we see: little girl in a white gown picking up a teddy bear from the floor. Also Morgan’s dead wife was able to grasp doorknob and try to open the door. Then there were walkers who could pick up rocks, as I recall. In the following seasons they were dumbed down.
What is more, the idea of walkers on the show is that they are slowly decaying. That is why they were faster in the first seasons, like in the scene where Shane shots this farmer in the leg, so he could escape. These walkers were a lot faster than any walker in the 6th season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 pm 

ManInBlack316 wrote:
I could see slow zombies being semi realistic as one could guess that maybe a viral/parasitic takeover of the brain doesn't allow the kind of coordination that we normally enjoy.
The "Zombie Survival Guide" also speculated that the reason a zombie could not be starved/suffocated is because the body was no longer replacing the oxygen/nutrients of the body and the body would just continue to go on without nutrients/oxygen because it was sort of rewired to just keep going until tissues and bones started to break down; probably nothing plausible scientifically to that though.

If cells did not regenerate, your feet would fall of in a week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:55 pm 

http://www.johnringo.net/TheLibrary/Bla ... lypse.aspx
The author at the link presents the argument that genetic manipulation ability is developing quickly and extensively, and becoming “cheap” and simple to do, with the probability that soon it will be possible for someone “in their basement” to create new virus and bacteria. Envision that someone being a zombie fan, who for fun (or whatever) creates a pathogen to do essentially what fictional zombie infections do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:55 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

fred.greek wrote:
http://www.johnringo.net/TheLibrary/BlackTideRising/UnderaGraveyardSky/TheInevitableZombieApocalypse.aspx
The author at the link presents the argument that genetic manipulation ability is developing quickly and extensively, and becoming “cheap” and simple to do, with the probability that soon it will be possible for someone “in their basement” to create new virus and bacteria. Envision that someone being a zombie fan, who for fun (or whatever) creates a pathogen to do essentially what fictional zombie infections do.

This was also mentioned in another thread recently. That's honestly scary stuff....