Use of Zombie Squad trademark or copyright material

Zombie Squad news will be posted here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Use of Zombie Squad trademark or copyright material

Post by kyle » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:22 am

Thanks for your interest in promoting Zombie Squad to your friends and neighbors by sporting the ZS logo. It's members and supporters like you that will help ZS spread to all corners of the globe. We recognize that there's a demand for ZS gear that we don't currently sell in our online store. We receive a number of requests from people who wish to place our logo on the item of their choosing. It's our opinion that this would be an acceptable use of the logo and we are happy to grant you a one time license for this specific item - with certain restrictions.

The restrictions of this license are:

1. Permission must be gained by submitting your request to trademark@zombiehunters.org. Zombie Squad will review the request to make sure that the use does not conflict with the mission of the organization.

2. You may not affix the ZS logo to any item or product for sale or distribution. Any item you create must be for your personal use. Distribution of the item, even if it isn't an item we currently sell in our store, would lead to dilution of our federally registered trademark.

3. You may not affix the ZS logo to any item or product identical in design or in nature to any item or product we sell in our store. We've gone through the trouble of making sure the stuff we sell meets certain standards. Save yourself the time and effort and just buy it from us.

4. You may not affix the ZS logo to any item or product that is illegal to own or use. We all want to make sure that ZS always maintains a positive image.

5. If you plan on using a third party to produce the logo bearing item or product, you must notify us. Any item or product produced by the third party is still limited to your personal use and may not be distributed or sold by the third party. Special license may be granted for "group buy" situations.

We hope you understand the necessity of these restrictions and we're sure you agree that they're reasonable. Good luck making your item and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

ZS
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Re: Use of Zombie Squad trademark or copyright material

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:19 pm

I made a couple ZS Refrigerator Magnets using the ZS business cards and "business card" magnets. You can find them at office max in like a 50 pack or something like that. $14.99 for the pack of magnets. I think they look really good. I made two actually. One has the ZS logo front on it and the other has the corporation's information on the back.

[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/rgill720/Zombie%20Squad/new094.jpg[/IMG]

gothamalleyviper

Post by gothamalleyviper » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:26 pm

Can I make ZS logo stickers that say "you suck" and stick them on drug dealers?

(Joke)

EeRie
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by EeRie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:31 am

2 questions, Is my avatar a violation of the use of the logo? And can a recognized Chapter change/alter/personalize the logo for shirts and other promotional material?
LasVegasWeekly.com wrote:“If you can survive a zombie apocalypse, you can survive anything,” said Eerie. As the founder of the Vegas chapter/comic relief/skirt chasing degenerate/drunk... Eerie established ZS 009 in January as a way for more colorful members of our community to get involved in activism.
ZSC:009
"Don't gamble with your life, Be Prepared!"

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:46 am

EeRie wrote:2 questions, Is my avatar a violation of the use of the logo? And can a recognized Chapter change/alter/personalize the logo for shirts and other promotional material?

Unofficially?

1. Yes.

2. No.

:)

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:41 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:
EeRie wrote:2 questions, Is my avatar a violation of the use of the logo? And can a recognized Chapter change/alter/personalize the logo for shirts and other promotional material?

Unofficially?

1. Yes.

2. No.

-

TGC, where are you getting that idea? He's not selling his avatar, it's not illegal to use, etc. (And posting the question here, after the fact, sounds like the next best thing to submitting it; should have done it beforehand but better late than never.)

Now, the chapter question is interesting. It seems like each ZS Chapter could have their own logo, but it should probably be uniform and leave the original intact: just something like the ZS logo, and under it, a large stencil of the chapter number, like:

ZS

Or something like that.

But my opinions are unofficial, too.
:D

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:49 am

Jeriah,

unofficially - I'm going off discussions that arose from TFB and others raising the question about a year ago about messing with the ZS logo...

The comeback from above was (IIRC): Don't do it.

In regards to your second proposal/statement/thingy IIRC the general response was, "Don't do it."

...Of course, this is also completely unofficial... :D

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

EeRie
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by EeRie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:13 am

Jeriah wrote:Now, the chapter question is interesting. It seems like each ZS Chapter could have their own logo, but it should probably be uniform and leave the original intact: just something like the ZS logo, and under it, a large stencil of the chapter number, like:

ZS

Or something like that.

Totally what I was thinking as far as having your chapter number on the shirt, I know my car club the front of the shirt is your city and Chapter the back say "world wide" and list the other chapters. Now I understand it may not be cost effective for ZS HQ to run X amount of shirts in hopes the chapters will by them, So leaving it up to the individual chapter as well as giving that chapter a means of raising funds for local charitys and or to promote their events. Now I saw Pacific North west chapter has basically made their own logo with out any reference to the official ZS logo other than their ZS chapter number would it be not only legal but unethical for them to print and sell that design at their chapter events?

Edit/Add: It would seem to me my avatar has been sufficiently altered to not legally infringe on any copyright issues, however ethically the avatar is supposed to represent the ZS so I would have no issue with removing it if I was asked.
LasVegasWeekly.com wrote:“If you can survive a zombie apocalypse, you can survive anything,” said Eerie. As the founder of the Vegas chapter/comic relief/skirt chasing degenerate/drunk... Eerie established ZS 009 in January as a way for more colorful members of our community to get involved in activism.
ZSC:009
"Don't gamble with your life, Be Prepared!"

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:40 pm

#1) No, it does not violate.

#2) No, not without first getting permission first, as it states on the Chapter charter agreement. Contact your chapter rep to find out how to go about getting that: chapters@zombiehunters.org

Any other specific questions can be sent to trademark@zombiehunters.org
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 pm

I thought I'd bump this.

We've been getting lots of trademark usage requests lately. Things like spray painting a ZS on your personal-use helmet or side of your car doesn't fall under a trademark infringement. Making unauthorized products you plan to distribute does. If you're un-sure we are more than happy to advise you. However, the rules above should be helpful. Feel free to drop an email to trademark@zombiehunters.org

Thanks for the support!

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:33 pm

So when do I hear back about using the ZS logo on the side of the lowers? It's been two weeks and I received an email stating that I would be getting a response by last Sunday. I don't want to be pushy, but that is the only thing that is preventing us from putting in the artwork for the lowers right now.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Bluesman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Bluesman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:34 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:

Unofficially?

1. Yes.

2. No.

-

TGC, where are you getting that idea? He's not selling his avatar, it's not illegal to use, etc. (And posting the question here, after the fact, sounds like the next best thing to submitting it; should have done it beforehand but better late than never.)

Now, the chapter question is interesting. It seems like each ZS Chapter could have their own logo, but it should probably be uniform and leave the original intact: just something like the ZS logo, and under it, a large stencil of the chapter number, like:

ZS

Or something like that.

I think every chapter should have a small patch made that has the invidual chapters number on it like the military does. So a regular ZS patch and under it a smaller patch with a roman numeral designating your chapter would be cool. I for St. Louis and X for the U.K. and so on. This avoids copyrite problems.
Ignorance is a self-inflicted wound - Bluesman

KC0KSV Extra Class

Group Think = No Think

Dane
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by Dane » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Hey ladies and gents. I submitted a Trademark usage request to the email listed above I'm just looking to get confirmation that it was received. Can you send me a PM to let me know or a reply to the email i sent. I included pictures of what i wanted to do in the email and that sometime causes the email to get shotdown.

Thanks in advance.

Your friendly Canalien Dane
One man's doomsday is another mans pay day

WJ_Tardis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by WJ_Tardis » Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am

Bump for this being so hard to find.
I'm still alive, Just busy getting married.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Wed May 25, 2011 10:07 pm

WJ_Tardis wrote:Bump for this being so hard to find.

It's a sticky under "Ask ZS". What else do you want? :P

Seriously though, if you guys have any questions about trademark stuff or a request for usage, just toss Cyr an email to trademark@zombiehunters.org and he'll hook you up.

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu May 26, 2011 10:43 am

kyle wrote:
WJ_Tardis wrote:Bump for this being so hard to find.

It's a sticky under "Ask ZS". What else do you want? :P

Seriously though, if you guys have any questions about trademark stuff or a request for usage, just toss Cyr an email to trademark@zombiehunters.org and he'll hook you up.
It's also now a sticky here. Can never be too careful.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu May 26, 2011 10:49 am

Do the same guidelines outlined in the inital post apply to images of Brian the zombie as well as the ZS logo?

Thanks,

Jamie - nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 am

nfa wrote:Do the same guidelines outlined in the inital post apply to images of Brian the zombie as well as the ZS logo?

Thanks,

Jamie - nfa
Yeah. Brian falls under copyright rules. The name "Zombie Squad" and the ZS logo are both registeted trademarks with the USPTO owned by Zombie Squad, Inc.

mough

Post by mough » Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 am

Just curious,

Would permission be granted to use the logo on items intended to be distributed, for the purposes of raising money for charity?

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Fri May 27, 2011 7:09 am

mough wrote:Just curious,

Would permission be granted to use the logo on items intended to be distributed, for the purposes of raising money for charity?

We have been known to do thst but we generally only do that for chapters. It's case by case. Drop an email to us with your idea to trademark@zombiehunters.org

Cpt_Jack

Post by Cpt_Jack » Sat May 28, 2011 2:30 am

Just to say, this was impossible to find! OK, I've copied my questions from my other thread here, it can be deleted.

Where can I use the ZS logo and name? I'd like to stick a logo/link on my new prepping blog and I assume that this is OK, however I'd like to do a few other bits.

Firstly, some little business cards with groovy stuff similar to 'Cpt. Jack - Zombie Squad Accredited Zombie Suppression Force Member (Malaysia division)' with a list of website and email details would be quite an eye opener and a neat way of spreading the message but would this violate your property rights?

Secondly, use of the ZS logo on shirts, uniforms, cars, posters etc etc, what are your rules over that? Again, it's about getting the word out and nothing else.

Thirdly, use on a dedicated ZS website other than this one, not just a badge on a blog. I'm thinking maybe a Malay language version of the forum with info in the local languages (Malay, Tamil, Mandarin) or perhaps just an English language one but focused on the Asia region. It doesn't have to be a dedicated site and could just as easily be a sub-section here.

These first two I see no major issues with, the third maybe, however just now a fourth option floated into my head; sale of ZS 'branded' stuff for fundraising etc. Obviously this is waaaayyyyyyyy off for me but I do hope to set up a chapter here in Malaysia so I guess this is something to talk about then, but if someone has any idea on this please to share.

Thanks for your time and response, and sorry if this has been done before.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sat May 28, 2011 2:56 am

It is late and I have had a long day and I will try and be delicate .

You have been here for about a month and as far as I can see contributed nothing to ZS .

ZS is an organization and a network of people at the same time . I have noticed a tendency for people to find ZS , decide it is right up their alley and want to get involved . That is awesome . I have also seen people who like to take an existing thing and use it for their own benefit . If you are a short timer who has not actually spent much time here and more importantly not contributed much , I strongly suggest you take a step back and reassess the situation .

Take your time . Hang out for a bit . Get to know everyone . Figure out how you fit into ZS , not how you can make ZS fit into your life .

Hope that makes sense .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Cpt_Jack

Post by Cpt_Jack » Sat May 28, 2011 3:54 am

I understand that which is why I have said that all of this is theoretical etc, I am very much a long term goal person and I draw a big picture first, then set about painting it. However, the blog is going ahead and interest in what I do is growing amongst friends and acquaintances thus my plans for spreading this further based on what they want and will benefit from, e.g. material under the ZS logo in their own language and a place under the ZS umbrella they can talk about it in their own language. Seriously, that would be vital, it's great talking about tornadoes and stuff but ever seen a tornado in Asia? Likewise, how many of you get tsunamis? Of course, I could run off and create 'Zombie Army' or something by myself but that would be just the thing you say about; taking the concept and using it for my own purposes and joy.

I have had good feedback from other people r.e. putting this together as well as offers to co-operate in ideas and so on, therefore I'll do it to the best of my ability and to help others but I need to know where I stand on this issue so I don't go pissing people off and/or breaking laws. One of my reasons for joining was the dire state of preparedness where I live and a strong want to spread the ethos of ready for disaster; seeing someone suffer from a heart attack and having everyone just stand there and worse, try to push the guy away (not my problem syndrome), a few years ago was a big influence on it and a story I shared here.

As I say, I understand your point but please try to understand where I am coming from here. Maybe it is just later after a long day ;-)

Thanks

Jack

closingresponse

Post by closingresponse » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:22 am

Greeting Mods!

I sent an email regarding the use of the ZS trademark.
Wanting to ask if anyone could review it.

Thanks!
gravediggerfour wrote:I save mine and mix it with Unicorn semen and rainbow tears. I use this mixture to lube my AR.

Return to “Announcements”