Suggest new board display styles!

Zombie Squad news will be posted here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Suggest new board display styles!

Post by shrapnel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 pm

This thread is no longer active. Go here to vote or ask questions http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=109913.

As you may have noticed, things are looking a little bit different around here, depending on what board styles you use. We've had to toss a substantial number of the old display styles, because they are no longer supported/compatible with the current software. This has left us with a total of two usable styles right now, and they are ugly. Zombie Squad is all about form and fashion, so that means it's time to find more options for our aesthetically-conscious user base.

"But wait, Shrapnel," I can hear you asking, "what if you pick styles that are ugly and make my eyes hurt? You have the design sensibilities of a colorblind whelk! Who put you in charge of this?" The answer to the second question is, Crypto, and I'll add that KJ4VOV is also at fault for any displeasing choices co-heading up this deal with me, so don't blame me for anything. The more salient point is that assigning blame doesn't matter, because you, yes, YOU, will be voting to determine the ten styles that we eventually go with!

Here is your mission. Visit this site (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... styles-12/) and look through the various themes and styles that are there. Click on a theme, read the description, and click on the 'Demo' tab on the right side of the screen to look through a sample forum in that style. Don't just look at the pretty colors- pay attention to where user interface buttons and links are. Do you always look to the bottom right side of a post to find the quote button? Perhaps you should look for themes that contain that functionality. That kind of thing.

Having found one or two themes you want submitted for voting, post your request in this thread, with a link to the theme, like so:
You have until Saturday, October 26th, at whenever-I-wake-up am, to submit a theme request. We have a maximum of 40 poll options, so submit your preference early. Any submissions that are not formatted like the example up there, are going to be ignored, because it makes my life easier. I will keep an updated-daily tally of the submissions in the first reply to this thread, for ease of checking.

Once the first part is done, I will make a poll in this thread. Each person will get up to ten votes. The top ten options, will become board styles.

tl;dr- we need new looks for the board. Click on the first link, find one or two styles you want, post names and links to the style in this thread. You have until 10/26/13 to submit options. We will then vote on the top ten.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Re: Suggest new board display styles!

Post by shrapnel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks to Anianna, here's some ideas the Chat Thread has already liked. I'll keep updating this post with requests. Note that these are not official votes, just suggestions and how many times they've been suggested.
Anianna wrote:Potential new forum styles and positive individual mentions of each (chat and suggestion thread combined):
Dirty Board - 15
Bl@ck - 4
ProFormell - 4
Softwood - 4
AcidTech - 4
SE Gamer Dark - 3
Rock'n Roll Silver - 2
Alpha - 2
Artodia_phantom - 2
khaki_black - 2
SE Gamer Light - 1
khaki - 1
CA Vintage - 1
Avalon - 1
Aktif - 1
AZ_Retro - 1
madevo - 1
Neon - 1
Legacy - 1
Simplicity (with color changes) - 1
Saba - 1
Titan - 1
Pro_Ubuntu Lucid (with color changes) - 1
Envision - 1
Grunge - 1
Artodia_elegance - 1
Darkicy (with background change) - 1
ClanzDarkness3 - 1 (has licensing warning, though)
Poker Olympus - 1

In order first of interest and then of first to be mentioned.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Alpha and please keep prosilver 2.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Prosilver and subsilver2 are default PHPBB styles that will not be going away. The other ones dont work too well with the current version of the board.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 pm

crypto wrote:Prosilver and subsilver2 are default PHPBB styles that will not be going away. The other ones dont work too well with the current version of the board.
Excellent. :D
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:12 pm

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/legacy_2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meh, too many of those make my eyes hurt.
Good luck!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:00 pm

I like whatever default them it is that I have. I tried changing it, but didn't really like the options available. The only reason I wanted to change it is to make it darker. If I can have this default style in a darker form, that would be great.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 pm

DirtyBoard and AcidTech here.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Wow, 20 pages of display styles. Looking through them, I have a few observations:

1) I realize I prefer lighter versus darker themes simply because I find them to be more readable.
2) There seems to be just a few very generic phbBB display styles (or slight variations) that get used all the time. I'd hate to see ZS join that crowd and look like every other board on the webz.
3) While different is good, I don't really go for any of the pronounced "out there" themes. I suspect they would be polarizing to any forum community. I think there's something to be said for a slightly more toned-down display theme that doesn't carry any connotations for some people, or otherwise detract from the content of the forum discussions.

4) Combining the above, I guess I'm generally attracted to lighter, subdued themes that are still bright, punchy and distinguishable from the look and feel of most discussion forums out there. Thus I like:

Simplicity (with color changes)
Sabah
Pro_Ubuntu Lucid (with color changes) https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... ucid/demo/
Titan
Artodia_phantom
Envision

And finally my dark horse candidate: Grunge. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/grunge/demo/

Not because of the colors, fonts, or graphic details. But I really, really dig the layout, especially with the frequently accessed controls (Login/Register, search, active topics, user control panel, etc) arrayed vertically on the right, rather than across the top like just about every other forum theme out there. That layout is different, it's crisp and seems very functional.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I guess Subsilver 2_ZS is right out?

Pity... Dirty is alright I guess... Softwood is decent too...

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by shrapnel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:12 pm

shrapnel wrote:Having found one or two themes you want submitted for voting, post your request in this thread, with a link to the theme, like so:
example wrote: wrote:
Bl@ck https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/bl%40ck/demo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alpha https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/alpha/demo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*cough*

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:45 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Wow, 20 pages of display styles. Looking through them, I have a few observations:

2) There seems to be just a few very generic phbBB display styles (or slight variations) that get used all the time. I'd hate to see ZS join that crowd and look like every other board on the webz.

Keep in mind, styles are things you can pick and choose from to display what you like. We're not voting for 'the one', we're just picking several from a menu of options.

I set KJ4VOV and shrapnel on this task because I didnt want to just pick some that I liked in a vacuum, I figured it would be better if we decided on some as a group.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:56 pm

*sigh* :cry: Looks like the style I have been using e-Tech Grey is no longer going to be here. :gonk: Nooooo change, what will I do, I can't hadle getting used to a new style, arrrgggghhhhh.

OK I guess maybe I will survive.

After looking through the ones already voted for and others, my 2 picks would be

CA Vintage https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... tage/demo/

Khaki Black https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... lack/demo/

Additional couple styles I saw that I am not sure if they are doable.

I really liked the style Style
Darkicy https://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/b ... style=1138
but not so into the background image. If the background can be changed to something more ZS it would be my top pick. I like the transparent forum with a nice background.

I also liked
ClanzDarkness3 https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... ess3/demo/
if the back ground could be changed.
But it said WARNING: This style currently does not meet our licensing guidelines. so I am guessing it is a no go.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:39 am

Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:07 am

One thing I noticed is that some fill the entire screen side to side, and others use maybe 1/2 the screen.

My choices are included in the ones from Chat thread earlier, I prefer the ones that use the entire screen.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:10 am

I've been using ubuntu for quite a while, but I might be the only person using it. I am not too concerned about the colors and such, but the locations of the "new posts" "your posts" etc can simplify finding what you want.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 am

I like the subsilver 2 display style. The color though is bit too bright for my taste. Subsilver 2 using gray (grey?) in lieu of blue would be nice.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I've been using subsilver2_ZS since it's debut, and recently it has changed. It now looks like this:

So, if at all possible, I vote this. Everything is where I'm used to it, and the colors aren't an assault on my eyes.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:48 pm

subsilver2_ZS is specifically one of the files that was mentioned in the OP to be "no longer supported/compatible with the current software". It's definitely going away.

Also, don't bother making suggestions in the form of "Style X but please change the color of Y or the placement of Z" because that would involve making custom styles, which is how we got into the position in the first place. I've been told that making custom styles is not going to happen.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:58 pm

mystic_1 wrote:Also, don't bother making suggestions in the form of "Style X but please change the color of Y or the placement of Z" because that would involve making custom styles, which is how we got into the position in the first place. I've been told that making custom styles is not going to happen.

mystic_1
Good to know, I figured custom styles weren't likely. So made sure to post my 2 as is styles first.

BTW people try using the format for suggestions, it isn't that hard to follow directions is it?
shrapnel wrote:
shrapnel wrote:Having found one or two themes you want submitted for voting, post your request in this thread, with a link to the theme, like so:
<span>Bl@ck https://" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;<a href="http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... emo/</span>
<span>Alpha https://" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;<a href="http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style ... ha/demo</a>/
</span>
*cough*
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:44 pm

shrapnel wrote:
Bl@ck https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/bl%40ck/demo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alpha https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/alpha/demo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*cough*
I have edited my response with links to two of my favorites.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Well, I can adapt to whatever you guys choose, I guess.

Add my voice to DirtyBoard. Link above.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Khaki_Black - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... lack/demo/

That one is easy on my eyes, and it's full screen.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 pm

My vote goes for Dirty Board.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... _2.0/demo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Return to “Announcements”