It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Z-Con IX
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:11 am 

ya know... moments after I made that post, I thought about changing it from crpyto to cryptosporidium, but I figured eh, whats the worst that could happen.. :roll: silly me

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:14 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Jeriah, that was absolutely hysterical, and 100% true.
:D

Towanda wrote:
When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 pm 

jeriah.. So ... F-ing... Epic

you got it to the letter

i shall attend again and hopefully will be teaching you some cool stuff as well.

and i have also converted my brother who will be attending as well.

P.S. Get a flee and tick collar and put it on your ankle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm 

i am trying to save up the money and get the time off to make it this year. I have been trying for several years and this year might actually be the year that I make it.

"A declining institution often experiences survival of the unfittest."
John McCarthy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:35 pm 

Ok! I've done a lot of lurking, made a few posts, and found a lot of useful info here on ZS. Not only that, but I used my membership with ZS as an opportunity to talk with my co-workers about preparedness, and my employer put me in charge of our company emergency action plan.
Now I've decided to be more proactive in the ZS community, I've re-upped, and have even gotten the better half to join! She's Maggot 76, be sure to give her a big welcome when she finally posts something!
I'm seriously considering Z con as it's so close, and I'd like to make contacts as well as participate in the activities. I've read all the previous de-briefings, however I'm curious. What former attendees see as the most rewarding aspect of attending Z con?

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”
Sun Tzu The Art of War

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one”.
Jesus Luke 22:36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Maggot62 wrote:
I've read all the previous de-briefings, however I'm curious. What former attendees see as the most rewarding aspect of attending Z con?

Networking.

ZS is a pretty awesome organization, made up of some very smart, quick, witty people. Chapter events are great, but Zcon is the only place you'll experience such a large gathering of ZS members and have the opportunity to get to know them. I strongly recommend going if you can. Along with that goes the bonding experience that comes out of surviving under rough conditions with others.

Just my $0.02

mystic_1

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Networking

For those of you thinking about coming from out-of-town, I thought I'd throw out that we at 001 traditionally move our monthly meeting date to coincide with the end of Z-con on Sunday. The ZSC-001 June meeting becomes a party at a local bar with all of our friends and members who travelled. We drink (cold) beer and eat food (that wasn't cooked over a fire) and debrief the week.

It's always a great time.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

mystic_1 wrote:
Maggot62 wrote:
I've read all the previous de-briefings, however I'm curious. What former attendees see as the most rewarding aspect of attending Z con?

Networking.
mystic_1

Agreed. 100% I've been pushing inter chapter co-operation in the northeast for a couple years now. Would never happen without the friends I made at zcon.

Zimmy wrote:
Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:43 pm 

First whose bright idea was it to put this misery? Come out to scenic colorado, less ticks, fewer snakes, more hippies (-1), hot springs, and other great things. Did I mention less heat and less ticks? Great scenery? ( End begging to move zcon closer to where I'm at)

I'd love to attend but that's a hell of a trip and I'm a poor college student. Maybe we should set up a central (2nd) zcon out here....

EOD is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:53 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Isheian wrote:
First whose bright idea was it to put this misery? Come out to scenic colorado, less ticks, fewer snakes, more hippies (-1), hot springs, and other great things. Did I mention less heat and less ticks? Great scenery? ( End begging to move zcon closer to where I'm at)

I'd love to attend but that's a hell of a trip and I'm a poor college student. Maybe we should set up a central (2nd) zcon out here....

What kind of disaster prep organization would we be if we didn't schedule ZCON in the middle of nowhere, in the heat, with ticks and scorpions and on a mountain that has no level ground? Truth is, ZCON is held on the same privately owned slice of hell since it's inception. There are no plans on changing it unless someone donates a boat load of money, then we will move it to a private island in the south pacific infested with monkey-butlers and self serve margarita machines.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

iloveash wrote:
Isheian wrote:

What kind of disaster prep organization would we be if we didn't schedule ZCON in the middle of nowhere, in the heat, with ticks and scorpions and on a mountain that has no level ground? Truth is, ZCON is held on the same privately owned slice of hell since it's inception. There are no plans on changing it unless someone donates a boat load of money, then we will move it to a private island in the south pacific infested with monkey-butlers and self serve margarita machines.

Awww... Now I want a monkey-butler.

I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:19 am 

I would like to attend Z-CON but getting from Oregon to MO with a sidearm and a 6.8mm AR-15 is not an easy task. I sure as hell can't fly and that's way too far to drive myself, not to mention the risk of transporting firearms across state lines. Hmm, dilemma.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Nerotik wrote:
I would like to attend Z-CON but getting from Oregon to MO with a sidearm and a 6.8mm AR-15 is not an easy task. I sure as hell can't fly and that's way too far to drive myself, not to mention the risk of transporting firearms across state lines. Hmm, dilemma.

This is mentioned every year. You can in fact fly with firearms. I don't fly anywhere without mine.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition
Whether or not you feel comfortable letting baggage handlers handling them is a different story.
As for driving, the most strict transport standards want you to keep guns and ammo in different cases, out of reach (in the trunk), mags unloaded. It's not hard to research transport laws in each state you're traveling through.

LifeStraw Review

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:34 pm 

Israel wrote:
Nerotik wrote:

This is mentioned every year. You can in fact fly with firearms. I don't fly anywhere without mine.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition
Whether or not you feel comfortable letting baggage handlers handling them is a different story.
As for driving, the most strict transport standards want you to keep guns and ammo in different cases, out of reach (in the trunk), mags unloaded. It's not hard to research transport laws in each state you're traveling through.

Yeah, I'm just not comfortable having them in a duffel bag out of my reach and sight. It just seems like allot of stress and hassle I don't want to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:46 pm 

best way that i have used many times. mapquest your route then simply google search current gun laws in those states you are traveling thru.. then there is the obvious. dont do anything stupid to get pulled over!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:38 pm 

cdmelton wrote:
best way that i have used many times. mapquest your route then simply google search current gun laws in those states you are traveling thru.. then there is the obvious. dont do anything stupid to get pulled over!!

"do you know why I pulled you over?"
" I was speeding :oops: "
"mind if I search your vehicle your real quick? if you got nothing to hide "
"can I see your warrant real quick? if you have nothing to hide"

Follow state laws though...
also look up "firearm owners protection act "FOPA"

TL;DR
the idea is you can drive STRAIGHT THROUGH a state with goofy gun laws, since you're just passing through..
it probably doesn't cover magazines though, but it hasn't been truly tested... mileage may vary

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

As an FYI, the ticks are starting to bite already. Stock up on B vitamins and bug spray.

LifeStraw Review

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 pm 

Well, I forgot, but I bought a ticket like two weeks back, so I'll be there. And I'll more than likely stay for the ZSC-001 meeting on Sunday.

Crypto, you down with me crashing at your place the night before Z-Con? I won't put you out the Sunday after, I can either find a hotel or make it home, then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:33 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I still cry a little every time I think about my last Z-Con and my time spent in the freaking ICU afterwards, plus I went and got myself promoted to management at some big trauma ER so I'm out, however rumor has it that a Canuck from the Saskatchewan way might be crashing at my place prior to heading down to the mountain...

I barely survived Zombie Con 2011! 5 days in the hospital, 3 in the ICU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:34 am 

Is this land owned by a ZSer or is it just some random land rented out? I've never been, but I'm thinking about...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:40 am 

bethanyb wrote:
I still cry a little every time I think about my last Z-Con and my time spent in the freaking ICU afterwards, plus I went and got myself promoted to management at some big trauma ER so I'm out, however rumor has it that a Canuck from the Saskatchewan way might be crashing at my place prior to heading down to the mountain...

Well damn. I'm finally able to make it to zcon (funds and time have lined up perfectly) and half the people I wanted to meet aren't going to be there. :-P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

TN-Shooter wrote:
Is this land owned by a ZSer or is it just some random land rented out? I've never been, but I'm thinking about...

It is private land.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 am 

BJMadden85 wrote:
Hello ZCon-ers! This will be my first Z-Con. So any advice? All of it. Just go. Spew forth the insanity.

Whatever you plan on bringing - cut half of it out.... seriously it'll save you SO MUCH hassle.

The list they give is really all you need.

The ZS38 crew will be out again and bringing Darren's wife Leana as well! So excited we all get to be there this year! Oh and Raptor 2.0 should be making an appearance in Manbath again.

Working overnight = Crazy times on my posts

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:44 pm 

RaptorGoRawr wrote:
Raptor 2.0 should be making an appearance in Manbath again.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Last edited by Blacksheep on Fri May 10, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next