Zombie Squad news will be posted here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

iloveash
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

ZS NEEDS YOU! To write our next PSA!

Post by iloveash » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Hey all,
Each year ZS works with Webster University in St Louis, Mo to create a PSA (public service announcement) to be used in our seminars, at events and on the interwebz to promote our little organization. We have been doing this for years, and would like to try something new...this is where you come in.

Whether you are a writer or not, we are taking submissions for screenplays for the next PSA. Get the thrill of seeing your name flash across the screen, bragging rights, and the deep down, fuzzy feeling that you helped out college students by giving them something creative to work with. ZS will throw in some fun stuff for the chosen script writer as well.

Here are the guidelines:

-Script must be formatted for video production (google it :)

-Video script should be between 5-8 minutes

-Please, use realistic locations. We do not have access to an airship or a castle.

-The max number of different locations we can realistically shoot is 3

-No more than 3 main characters

-We love/hate zombies but “hordes” are difficult

-Our PSA's are done with announcers/voice overs..please, keep this in consideration

-This is a student production, we will not be able to go crazy with special effects (no heads exploding) and complicated action sequences. We want to challenge the students but not overwhelm them.

-Scripts must be rated “PG-13” at the harshest. While our seminar is sometimes more adult oriented, we like to use these videos for mixed audiences as well. So, if your script includes the phrase “Fuckity fuck fuck yourself Mr. McFuckington,” it probably won’t be selected.

-Scripts should address issues of personal preparedness in a way that encourages the public to visit the ZS website. We don’t need a training video on how to poop in the apocalypse.

-If it’s not allowed on the forums, don’t put it in the video. Politics, religion, and illegal activities are still off limits. Send that stuff to Saturday night live. They could use the help.

-You must own the material you submit. If you send us a script about Luke Starkiller fighting zombies on Tatooworld, we’ll make fun of you.

-You must have fun writing this script. If you don’t have fun, we’ll know. We’ll probably break your kneecaps or something.

Scripts must be submitted to media@zombiehunters no later than January 18th at midnight o’clock (CST). All formatted scripts will be presented to the Webster Video Class and they will chose the script that will be used for the 2013 PSA.

Now, take a look at our past PSA’s and get to writing!

*By submitting your work you agree to allow ZS HQ and Webster University produce your script into video format. Rights to the video will be owned by Zombie Squad International. Items such as locations and script wording may be altered due to access or directors discretion.
I survived Z-Con 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
I survived Wintergeddon 07, 08, 09, 11, 12
ZS has swallowed my soul!

iloveash
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Re: ZS NEEDS YOU! To write our next PSA!

Post by iloveash » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Link to our previous PSA's:

http://www.youtube.com/user/zombiesquad/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:05 pm

What a cool idea! I hope some good scripts come in.
I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado. (High Ground series now available)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:53 am

I have a couple of questions:
iloveash wrote:-Our PSA's are done with announcers/voice overs..please, keep this in consideration
Does this mean that the main characters should not have any speaking parts or is it ok if the main characters speak between narration?
iloveash wrote:-This is a student production, we will not be able to go crazy with special effects (no heads exploding) and complicated action sequences. We want to challenge the students but not overwhelm them.
Does the student team have access to green screen recording that can be placed against stock effect scenes?
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

iloveash
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by iloveash » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:51 am

Anianna wrote:I have a couple of questions:
iloveash wrote:-Our PSA's are done with announcers/voice overs..please, keep this in consideration
Does this mean that the main characters should not have any speaking parts or is it ok if the main characters speak between narration?

-You can have them speak. Worse case scenario, it may end up overdubbed or subtitled ...so keep that in mind

iloveash wrote:-This is a student production, we will not be able to go crazy with special effects (no heads exploding) and complicated action sequences. We want to challenge the students but not overwhelm them.
Does the student team have access to green screen recording that can be placed against stock effect scenes?

-There is access to a green screen which can be used for the PSA . Please, do not make it a huge part of the script, as location shooting is one of the experiences they need to get from this project.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:15 pm

Thank you, iloveash. :mrgreen:
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm

iloveash wrote: -Please, use realistic locations. We do not have access to an airship or a castle.
That's total bullshit and I plan on rectifying that problem at our next board meeting :crazy:
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

mslmspd2
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by mslmspd2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Has a winner been picked? :clap:

iloveash
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by iloveash » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 am

mslmspd2 wrote:Has a winner been picked? :clap:
I meet with the class next week and they will decide by mid-February!

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:56 am

How many entries did you guys end up with?

iloveash
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by iloveash » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 am

Congratulations for CongoChris for submitting the winning screenplay for the 2013 Webster University ZS PSA shoot. The PSA will be shot in April, edited in May and (fingers crossed) if all goes according to schedule..we will premier in at ZCON in June.

Thanks to everyone who submitted this year, all the scripts we received were amazing. Keep writing, we are hoping to make this an annual event!

Return to “Announcements”