ZS is a 501(c)3!

Zombie Squad news will be posted here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Re: ZS is a 501(c)3!

Post by noncyr » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:45 pm

They'll be under the chapter docs. I'll post links in the chapter officers forum after HQ's board meeting this weekend. There are a few things we want to vote on before posting, just to make sure we don't need to create new versions of them in a couple of weeks.
Blergh

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Sounds good, you guys are awesome. :-)

I'm by no means a tax expert but I have a crap-ton of free time (advantage of being unemployed lol) so if ya'll need any help with anything, just holler :-D
goes for more than just tax stuff time, I'm quite versatile.
Presisdent: ZSC:041

Acquisitor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Acquisitor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 pm

What if a place that usually charges for meeting space donates it for an open meeting? Would that be considered deductable? Hmmm, now the wheels are turning; I believe our public library and park shelters are available free to non profits. I need to check this out!

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Acquisitor wrote:What if a place that usually charges for meeting space donates it for an open meeting? Would that be considered deductable? Hmmm, now the wheels are turning; I believe our public library and park shelters are available free to non profits. I need to check this out!
I'm not speaking for Cyr, here, but, our local libraries do give meeting spaces for free to 501(c)3s, while they charge the general public to use the same space.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:03 am

Cameron's right. A lot of places like libraries donate meeting space all of the time to 501(c)3 charities. So they'd be the best people to ask for that.

Keep in mind, ZSI is not in the position to determine what is and isn't deductible for donors. Most companies will already know, and if they don't, they should check with their financial officer/bookkeeper/accountant/trained monkey.

Think of it more as:

Company: I have this awesome thing to donate, but I want to make sure I get a tax deduction.
ZSI Guy/Gal: Golly gee! Is the gift deductible under U.S. tax law?
Company: Fuck if I know.
ZSI Guy/Gal: Well, check with your accountant. If is, you should give it to us! Gifts to Zombie Squad are tax deductible under section 501(c)3 of the U.S. tax code.
Company: Can't you just tell me?
ZSI Guy/Gal: Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on this particular thing. Gifts of cash or property are generally always deductible, though you might be subject to some restrictions based on your individual circumstances. Donating your time is definitely NOT deductible. But your accountant would be much better able to tell you if allowing us to use your horse to give orphans pony rides all weekend is deductible. Also, if it is, the law makes you responsible for determining the fair market value of that donation.
Company: Wow...that makes sense. I guess you would receive a whole range of unique and varied donations and it would be impossible for you to be able to advise everyone .
ZSI Guy/Gal: That's correct. After all, I'm just a volunteer with a day job. Also, I spend a lot of time writing McDonald's and asking when the McRib will be available year round.
Company: I do like McRibs. I'll check with my accountant today.
ZSI Guy/Gal: I'm sorry. What were we talking about? A squirrel just ran by.
Company: That's cool. I was trying to melt this snickers bar with a magnifying glass anyway.
Blergh

rivery
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by rivery » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:37 pm

OK. Heres my question. If I donate to ZS does my donation stay with the local chapter, assuming a check? If not, does a material donation stay local, assuming something only my local chapter can use? Sorry for the late question.

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:19 am

The best way to do that is to give the gift directly to the chapter. They can add the money to their treasury or property to their inventory. Then the gift stays local. The chapter officers have access to receipts now.
Blergh

rivery
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by rivery » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Okay, heard back from the folks that administer the charitable organization fun from Dell.

ZS needs to sign up and complete information on Guidestar.org - it's a clearinghouse of charitable organizations. I have a doc file outlining everything you'll need for that - and it is free. I have PM'd Whisk.e.rebellion with the doc file attached.

ZAG
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

TooManyIdeas
Favorite Zombie Movies: AAAHHHH Zombies
Dawn of the Dead
Fido

Post by TooManyIdeas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 am

I don't know if you're aware of the military's Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). Military member's are given a booklet with like every charity under the sun listed. Each charity is assigned a code for the form used to transfer funds from the paycheck. Do you guys have a code for CFC?

Cruceno

Post by Cruceno » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Will the chapter officers also have "proof" of our 501(c)3 status?

For example:

ZS: We want to participate in X
City: Great! That'll be $250....unless you're a non-profit.
ZS: We are one!
City: Suuuuuure you are....

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Will the chapter officers also have "proof" of our 501(c)3 status?

For example:

ZS: We want to participate in X
City: Great! That'll be $250....unless you're a non-profit.
ZS: We are one!
City: Suuuuuure you are.
We have access to a form site that has a non-profit receipt for property and cash donations that has the EIN on it.

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Chapter Officers have access to the Chapter Officers' Forum. There are links to the forms needed for chapter management there. There's also a thread with receipt procedures, EIN info, etc. there.
Blergh

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 pm

TooManyIdeas wrote:I don't know if you're aware of the military's Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). Military member's are given a booklet with like every charity under the sun listed. Each charity is assigned a code for the form used to transfer funds from the paycheck. Do you guys have a code for CFC?
I have no idea. I'll investigate how to find out.
Blergh

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm

zombieapocalypsegame wrote:Okay, heard back from the folks that administer the charitable organization fun from Dell.

ZS needs to sign up and complete information on Guidestar.org - it's a clearinghouse of charitable organizations. I have a doc file outlining everything you'll need for that - and it is free. I have PM'd Whisk.e.rebellion with the doc file attached.

ZAG
I've signed us up, faxed our determination letter, and registered on the site. It looks like that's all they need from us. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Blergh

Wolfie18
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Rec 3, Resident Evil (all), Walking Dead series

Post by Wolfie18 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Congratulations! :) I'm glad you were successful and managed to get the non-profit title! Keep up the great work :)

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:27 pm

I just noticed on the donations receipts it says "Chapter number and region," is there specific regions ZS wants us to use or is it the default, Eastern, Midwest, South, South west, West? ie. ZSC041/SWR (southwest region)

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:13 pm

cobra6987 wrote:I just noticed on the donations receipts it says "Chapter number and region," is there specific regions ZS wants us to use or is it the default, Eastern, Midwest, South, South west, West? ie. ZSC041/SWR (southwest region)
It refers to the geographic designation in your chapter. "St. Louis Metro," "Vegas," "West North Caroline," etc.
Blergh

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Ah, that makes sense. My brainpower isn't all there right now lol.

engr-rn
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of the Living Dead
All Romero Films
The Walking Dead (TV show)
Life After People( TV Show, Post apocalyptic)
Office Space (Just Kidding, but there was some zombie like behavior in that..lol)

Post by engr-rn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:18 pm

So, mileage to meetings/events should be deductible then, right. Good news for me since I live a good 30 miles from the city where most of these take place.
My theory..zombies are junkies and their drug of choice is stored in the blood and tissues of us living folks.

I got 99 problems but a zombie ain't one..

When TSHTF, I hope I'm wearing sensible shoes.

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Random thought....

When I worked at a christian camp, obviously 501(c)3, They had a letter so they didn't have to pay sales tax when they went to Wal-Mart and other stores. Is this something Zombie Squad can now do as well?

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 pm

engr-rn wrote:So, mileage to meetings/events should be deductible then, right. Good news for me since I live a good 30 miles from the city where most of these take place.
Correct. But, you can't take the deduction at the full deduction of 55.5 cents/mile like you could if you were driving for work. Driving for charitable service is deductible at 14 cents/mile.

Make sure you keep a log book.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:44 pm

cobra6987 wrote:Random thought....

When I worked at a christian camp, obviously 501(c)3, They had a letter so they didn't have to pay sales tax when they went to Wal-Mart and other stores. Is this something Zombie Squad can now do as well?
If your state exempts 501c3 orgs from sales tax, then yes. Chapter officers have access to our determination letter that can be printed. However, most states require a form to be filled out for separate exemption determination. We haven't, and realistically won't, apply for sales tax exemption in all 50 states. If your state offers it, and you want to fill out the form and email it to HQ, we'll look it over an sign it.
Blergh

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Could I get a copy of that please? I guess New Mexico only needs a copy of the determination letter with a form..... seems almost TOO easy...

Return to “Announcements”