ZS web site now on emergency power (Possible Sandy downtime)

Zombie Squad news will be posted here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: ZS web site now on emergency power (Possible Sandy downt

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:14 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
Valarius wrote:How much would it cost in the future to have a second host? In Seattle? Or Salt Lake City?

Two is usually twice as much as one.
Except the second one doesn't need to be identical to the first. It can have reduced capacity/capability for logons, just so long as the DB is fully mirrored. For that matter, the DB could be mirrored to a dedicated backup machine sitting in someone's basement, just as long as they have a fast connection.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSygqiOy ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:
Valarius wrote:How much would it cost in the future to have a second host? In Seattle? Or Salt Lake City?

Except the second one doesn't need to be identical to the first. It can have reduced capacity/capability for logons, just so long as the DB is fully mirrored. For that matter, the DB could be mirrored to a dedicated backup machine sitting in someone's basement, just as long as they have a fast connection.
...Very first post - they have backups.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:

We currently backup automatically to amazon S3, as well as to our dev site, and take periodic manual backups to our own systems at home.

and yeah, the dev site is way underpowered compared to the production server.

To put things into perspective, revenue from 10 ZS membership signups a month go directly to support the web. Thats a lot. You people are expensive.

ETA: We have to lock the forums to take a database snapshot, or PHPBB wont be consistent and will freak the hell out after a restore. Backing up once a day during the least-busy hours is really our best option.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:46 pm

crypto wrote:
ETA: We have to lock the forums to take a database snapshot, or PHPBB wont be consistent and will freak the hell out after a restore. Backing up once a day during the least-busy hours is really our best option.
I've been running PHPBB for about 8 years now, never had a problem with automatic backups done by cronjob in the wee hours. Of course, I also mirror the DB to a second server as well, and the site will work from either.

ETA: Of course, my forums are a tad bit smaller and less active. :lol: We only have about 1800 members.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Yeah, we do that, but it takes several minutes to copy the tables when we do the backups due to the size, and you really need to lock them during the process. If you dont, you run the risk that someone is half-way through either creating a new membership, or a post isnt fully recorded while the different tables copy, and then the tables are in an inconsistent state.

Doing a quick board disable upfront lets you quiesce the system so nothing like that happens in the middle of the copy operation. Its fast enough that most people dont notice it, cron kicks them off in the middle of the night then re-enables the board when its done.

Also:

We just received word from our hosting company that utility power has been restored. We are now off of emergency power.

Unsticky-ing this thread.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:32 pm

crypto wrote:Wednesday morning update: Still on emergency power, guys.

ITS THE RAVENA TRIANGLE!
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:30 pm

/\ Tri Force
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Oneswunk wrote:/\ Tri Force

Pfft. Noobs cant triforce.

‌ ‌ ▲
▲‌ ▲
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Oneswunk

Post by Oneswunk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 am

‌ ‌ ▲
▲‌ ▲

‌ ‌ ▲
▲‌ ▲

‌ ‌ ▲
▲‌ ▲

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Hey Everyone:

ZS Should spin-off a hosting company. That way it could be done right.

Odinsown

Return to “Announcements”