32 acp... a viable round for stopping zombies?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Poboyspecial
Favorite Zombie Movies: Is there one that's NOT a favorite?

32 acp... a viable round for stopping zombies?

Post by Poboyspecial » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:34 pm

We have done some testing with the 32 acp round for its zombie stopping potential. Take a look at these results, you may want to consider this a viable round.
1. Magsafe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjIwmANsPyM&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. FMJ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_qNvLnUXc&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. Flatnose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Xd2TUGwGM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just passing along this information because there is a lot of speculation about whether or not this is a BIG enough caliber to stop a zombie, watch and decide for yourself.
PoBoySpecial: Ballistics Testing with a Zombie twist. Let's face it, if it can stop a Zombie, a bad guy doesn't have a chance!
http://www.youtube.com/user/poboyspecial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stercutus

Re: 32 acp... a viable round for stopping zombies?

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Perfect for Zombies and excellent for Jaberwocky. Past that I won't say. I think the Italian police used to use them years ago if that means anything.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Poboyspecial

Post by Poboyspecial » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:57 pm

I understand that.... A lot of people have "mouse guns" and we wanted to see if they COULD be used to stop zombies. Obviously they are effective at close ranges, maybe too close for comfort when zombies are attacking. However, it is better than having nothing and becoming a bite for dinner.
PoBoySpecial: Ballistics Testing with a Zombie twist. Let's face it, if it can stop a Zombie, a bad guy doesn't have a chance!
http://www.youtube.com/user/poboyspecial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 am

Why would you even consider that. When 9mm is so cheap!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:42 pm

EmbraceTheHate wrote:Why would you even consider that. When 9mm is so cheap!
A lot of people in the bullseye community spread the misconception that 9mm isn't an accurate round. They prefer their Pardini match set .22/.32. These people start to bad mouth 9mm to a point that the misconceptions are heard in survival situations, only we're not talking a target 20 or 200 yards away, but closer to 2. If you can't hit your opponent at 10' - 20' (the average distance of a gun fight), it's not the round, most likely not even the gun.
Last edited by BullOnParade on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:51 pm

A .32acp is better than sharp words but not something I would chose. If it was all I had, I would use it but if I was making a choice on a firearm caliber combination the .32 would not be in choices.

I agree even if all you have is a pocket pistol use a 9mm, .38 spl/.357 or even a .380 acp over the .32 acp.

BTW I doubt the "test" in the videos qualify as a statistically significant sample even if it has mock blood.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:36 pm

I should also note, I didn't watch the video's until now. I was posting from my phone before, and that analogue, while cool, is not adequate of a zombie head. I'd believe a Coconut test more, and a pigs head even more than that.

Every time I think of these tests, I think I should find a local butcher, and get him to hold onto a few pigs heads for me. The next time I'm going up to the BOL, take these heads out, and see what my firearms can do. Of course, doing this, I would need to set up a camera to record the events, and then post to YouTube to share here. Would that video be considered too NSFW for YouTube, or for ZS? I'm thinking it might reduce some of the debates on .22, and could be considered fun (Although messy).
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Is that head made out of wax? If so I think even pellet guns should be able to make a mess of it.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

john917v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Romero movies

Post by john917v » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 am

While I agree with others that a .32 is better than nothing I'd say it'll do the job with hollow points and soft points at closer than 15 feet, I'd probably go with FMJ for closer to 15ft distances, for penetration. (Only a fool would say "No, I WON'T carry a (Insert pocket pistol-type caliber), I'd rather be empty-handed") I'm very happy with my .380, not to mention I can find a few types of ammo for it at even at Wal-mart. I don't remember seeing any .32 or .25 there, but I'd buy a nice .32 or .25 if the price is right, and in a heartbeat if it was a great deal!

I've considered using a rotting animal head to simulate a zombie's rotting flesh. Maybe ask a butcher for a head that's getting too old to sell, explain it's for ammo testing not eating. You may get it for cheap or even free for getting it out of their way=win for both of you, (especially you :clap: )

If anyone thinks zombies are silly, you're in the wrong thread, in the wrong forum. *I know that ZS stands more for disaster prep, but zombies cause a disaster so....* :wink:

Poboyspecial

Post by Poboyspecial » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Maybe the purpose of our testing is misunderstood. Let me try to explain.
The zombie skulls we make ourselves are quality controlled (same each time) measurements of a hard plaster material that is 1.45 inches thick from the nose to the top of the skull. The mouth and teeth are 5.2 inches thick. We found this to be close to the thickness of a zombie skull, so we used it. It started as a project from many friends who have 22 LR weapons. There were many questions and arguements about penetration and effectiveness. So, we decided to test them on the skulls we made. We shot as many different 22lr rounds as we could find locally. We are having fun satisfying our curiosity.
As we progressed, we had requests for other calibers as well ... 25, 32, etc. Our objective was not to start a debate on which caliber is best, only to show a simulation of what it could do on a zombie skull. We did this on a very low budget (hence the name poboyspecial) while still obtaining data. We agree that there are cheaper rounds (calibers) than the old 25, and 32. We also agree that there are more powerful rounds. We just wanted to show a large audience that have these "mouse guns" what they could do if they ever had to use them on a zombie (that simple). We also agree that a pig head would be viable test, but as we stated before... poboyspecial budget. We may get around to that if we get the chance. Hope that sheds some light on the intent of our operation.

P.S. My personal choice is the 45 acp 1911 style frame, but that's just me! There are many good choices depending on your situation!

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Brock Meatstone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:21 pm

When you say zombies, you mean human beings right?
I mean, there's no actual zombies...
:oh:

Poboyspecial

Post by Poboyspecial » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:40 pm

We mean zombies .... this is a zombie forum, not a human being forum.
:D

kalel01a

Post by kalel01a » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:46 pm

BullOnParade wrote:I should also note, I didn't watch the video's until now. I was posting from my phone before, and that analogue, while cool, is not adequate of a zombie head. I'd believe a Coconut test more, and a pigs head even more than that.

Every time I think of these tests, I think I should find a local butcher, and get him to hold onto a few pigs heads for me. The next time I'm going up to the BOL, take these heads out, and see what my firearms can do. Of course, doing this, I would need to set up a camera to record the events, and then post to YouTube to share here. Would that video be considered too NSFW for YouTube, or for ZS? I'm thinking it might reduce some of the debates on .22, and could be considered fun (Although messy).
BullOnParade,

I think your test sounds great... DocTacDad does that right now with higher caliber pistols. Of course, he doesn't do the volume of testing PoBoySpecial does, nor are his tests as consistant because he's not in control of how thick the skulls are. However, they are organic. In my humble opinion, I'm just glad to see that someone is testing through something other than ballistics gell out there, and that they are taking a very exhaustive approach to the little .22 caliber guns!

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Poboyspecial wrote:We mean zombies .... this is a zombie forum, not a human being forum.
:clownshoes:
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Brock Meatstone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Poboyspecial wrote:We mean zombies .... this is a zombie forum, not a human being forum.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:38 pm

I mean Zombie, zombies. Using .32 ACP for self or home defense is a bad idea.
Shall be my brother

Poboyspecial

Post by Poboyspecial » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:07 pm

OK, for all of you 32 haters and commentors, here is a test you might want to see. Keep in mind, it is not a scientific one, just a plain one to prove a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=t49JmzErUl8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch and decide for yourself.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Really? :?

Okay, then. Moved to Zombie Combat Tactics.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:25 pm

I think the perfect zombie killer would be a .22. Well, based on the fact that headshots are supposed to kill zombies. No recoil for follow up shots, and anyone can use it. Ammo is cheap, light and plentiful. The firearms themselves are usually cheap, light and plentiful. Why waste precious 9mm, 308, 5.56, or 7.62 on zombies? Use that for living threats.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:34 pm

For what it's worth, we've killed full grown hogs and beef cattle with a single shot to the brain with a .22lr rifle as long as I can remember. (40 years)

It works every time.
Boldly going nowhere

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Zimmy wrote:For what it's worth, we've killed full grown hogs and beef cattle with a single shot to the brain with a .22lr rifle as long as I can remember. (40 years)

It works every time.
I've taken smaller hogs, yotes, bobcat, even gators with .22lr. Shot placement is key. We usually use .22mag for putting down livestock. Criss cross between the eyes and ears, shoot there. However, we've had a cow that took 3 .45 ACP to the head, and was sitting up 20 minutes later. Also had a 400 pound pig that took a 7.62 39 point blank between the eyes and basically shrugged it off.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Poboyspecial wrote:OK, for all of you 32 haters and commentors, here is a test you might want to see. Keep in mind, it is not a scientific one, just a plain one to prove a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=t49JmzErUl8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch and decide for yourself.
I must say that was the least impressive test of a firearm I have ever seen on You Tube ever.
I think the perfect zombie killer would be a .22. Well, based on the fact that headshots are supposed to kill zombies. No recoil for follow up shots, and anyone can use it. Ammo is cheap, light and plentiful. The firearms themselves are usually cheap, light and plentiful. Why waste precious 9mm, 308, 5.56, or 7.62 on zombies? Use that for living threats.
My thoughts exactly.
Shall be my brother

Poboyspecial

Post by Poboyspecial » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:53 pm

I whole heartedly agree about the 22 LR being more advantageous because of the cost, weight, availability, and effectiveness. I just wanted to show that the 32 could be a viable tool seeing how many people have this caliber.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Do you think plaster is as hard/strong as bone?

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”