Combat tactics 101: Melee weapon choice

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Shinobi.Holmes

Re: Combat tactics 101: Melee weapon choice

Post by Shinobi.Holmes » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:00 am

Why would I use the axe on anything but his head? Ya, I can use it on other stuff, but I would definitely use that axe to split a skull. Wouldn't be aiming for all of those other things because, like you said, pointless on the undead.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:01 am

KentsOkay wrote:
azrael99 wrote:
this tomahawk is a nice choice...............but a shield, nop. you are using a close quarter weapon which mean you opponent will be within arm reach, if they grab your shield it become useless and become a trap since you strapped you arm at it.

Yes, judging by this video, shields are totally useless! Why would you ever want something that can protect you, your buddy in formation next to you, and smash a skull?

Madness I tell you!

I'm sorry, but if I am fighting anybody or anything hand to hand, and I have four or more buddies with me, hoplon, spear, and short sword all the way.

Lone wolf of the wasteland, I'll take my spear, sword, and hatchet.
well , if you have proper training , then it's not the same. i was answering to someone who just wanted a shield in is BoB , not someone with proper training. that totally different. don't mix apple with orange.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:35 am

Agreed, I'm not carrying a Spartan shield in my BOB. If zombies are eminent, I may be convinced to carry a riot shield. They weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 lbs.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

rule9

Post by rule9 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:44 am

KentsOkay wrote:If zombies are eminent, I may be convinced to carry a riot shield.
What if they're just blue-collar zombies?

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:07 am

The best bludgeons are the ones where you can strike them with just about any part rather than have to aim a concentrated ball or end.
Not smooth like a baseball bat, but ones like bar maces (which I can't remember if we have already talked about in this thread):

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-543-bar-mace.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re things sticking, when I did my hammer and everything test:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=78724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found my rock picks didn't stick like the claws of my hammers- because of their wider shape and singleness- if you think about it, the more spikes you add hitting all at once the more likely the combination is to stick.

Orion Drive
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (1978), 28 Weeks Later, Day of the Dead.

Post by Orion Drive » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:17 am

Really the only things I have that would be practical melee weapons are all in the garage, and if I can get to the garage then I may as well just go grab my guns. Assuming that zombies are crowding around my firearms for some reason and I can't draw them out I suppose I'll use the woodcutting axe. I figure the thing is heavy enough where I could just hit them with the back end of it for use as a reasonably effective blunt object.
Formerly Cyberdude78 on the FVZA forums.

Neddog
Favorite Zombie Movies: High School of the Dead
Juan de los Muertos
Land of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Neddog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:25 am

mantis wrote:My melee weapon? more ammo. swords, axes, etc are toys that will simpky get you killed when you come up against someone appropriately armed with MODERN weaponry.
Zombies come armed with modern weaponry? :shock:
Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
cyclopsphoto.ca

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 pm

A metal deadblow hammer might be nice. Apparently it can deliver like 40% more energy to the target as compared to a standard hammer of the same size and weight, due to the sand/lead shot inside the hammer head. Plus, no reverberation back into your arm on impact, which means greater longevity. I think many models allow you to replace the hammer faces, which means you might be able to find/make a broad spike for one side, and and flat face on the other.

Now, if you could find one with a slightly smaller head and 18" handle, that would be a formidable melee weapon. Of course, it's hard to overlook something like a Titanium crowbar. 28" long for a good reach, less than 2.5 lbs for swift strikes and reduced fatigue, and tons of non-combat related utility.

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”