Combat tactics 101: Melee weapon choice

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Re: Combat tactics 101: Melee weapon choice

Post by roOism » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:35 pm

If I'm going to have a melee weapon I'm going to want something that is multi-functional, like a big framing hammer, an axe of whatever variety, or something like the Stanley Fubar Image
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:40 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:I know I've already put my 25 cents worth in, but how about the bastard swords from Badger Blades?
Personaly I'm an axe man to my core so in reality I'ld probably have an axe if given the choice but there are plenty of melee weapons around my home to keep me wondering which would be best.
From what I've heard on the net, Badger Blades makes tough as nails, heavy as fuck beater blades for stage combat that can be sharpened into a reasonable blade.

Sword Buyer's Guide is my one stop shop for sword info, fyi.
SBG is a good sight, look up the Scottish Lowlander and you'll see one of my favorite swords of the last 8 years. At the time it took me almost two years to get it and the first one I got was broken but quickly (6 months) replaced by the seller.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:I know I've already put my 25 cents worth in, but how about the bastard swords from Badger Blades?
Personaly I'm an axe man to my core so in reality I'ld probably have an axe if given the choice but there are plenty of melee weapons around my home to keep me wondering which would be best.
From what I've heard on the net, Badger Blades makes tough as nails, heavy as fuck beater blades for stage combat that can be sharpened into a reasonable blade.

Sword Buyer's Guide is my one stop shop for sword info, fyi.
SBG is a good sight, look up the Scottish Lowlander and you'll see one of my favorite swords of the last 8 years. At the time it took me almost two years to get it and the first one I got was broken but quickly (6 months) replaced by the seller.
Holy mother of two handed sword Batman!
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Isn't it though Kent?
But I do love it so!

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:Isn't it though Kent?
But I do love it so!
If i was man enough to weild that sword, I would just smash people with my big brass balls.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 pm

A strongly built rifle like the M14 with the long bayonet from the M1903 Springfield attached.

Long sticker on one end, good reach, heavy body for blocks and parries, and a bone smashing steel buttplate on the heavy end. If you live with a weapon it gets to be a part of you and you don't notice the weight at all.

Basically a pike with punkin balls flying out of it at times.
Boldly going nowhere

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:Isn't it though Kent?
But I do love it so!
If i was man enough to weild that sword, I would just smash people with my big brass balls.
It is amazingly well ballanced and even at 145lbs it is slow to wield one handed but it isn't imposible.

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Haha for a second I thought you meant the SWORD was 145 lbs and I just had to run off and look it up.

Swords on this scale are cool looking and all but there's a reason their usage was fairly limited back in the day, they are pretty specialized weapons.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

Panther220410
Favorite Zombie Movies: The one where zombies DIE!!! ... and Zombieland...

Post by Panther220410 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:00 am

Light weight aluminium batons. These weapons are my weapon of choice for CQC with a zombie. The aluiminum make allows for light weight and quick movement while makeing it string enough to resist denting and breaking. The shape allows for swift, blunt blows that could easily damage the brain knock the target to the ground, or possibly hit with enough force to rattle the brain loose from the spinal column. Plus, batons are a general shape and should be easy to replace.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Panther220410 wrote:Light weight aluminium batons. These weapons are my weapon of choice for CQC with a zombie. The aluiminum make allows for light weight and quick movement while makeing it string enough to resist denting and breaking. The shape allows for swift, blunt blows that could easily damage the brain knock the target to the ground, or possibly hit with enough force to rattle the brain loose from the spinal column. Plus, batons are a general shape and should be easy to replace.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=51552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Discuss!
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 pm

I wouldn't use a police baton, tonfa, or nunchucks. If I am going to fight with a stick, it's either going to smash and pry (crowbar) or be pointy (knife, sword, spear). Batons are to suppress and subdue.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 pm

I was in my local surplus store buying MOLLE sustainment pouches for my Hellcat, and finger-fucked an Ontario USMC bayonet. Gave me a rager. Think I might need one for my BCM Middy upper, even though the barrel is lightweight and I don't want to bend it caber-tossing it into a stump or anything, a bayonet still just gives me a special feeling. I also really, really like the idea of confronting a burglar with just the upper half of an AR with a flashlight and a bayonet on it and using it as a tactical spear. (Since I can't have the whole thing at home.) By "like the idea of" I mean funny in theory, not that it would be a good plan.

Panther220410
Favorite Zombie Movies: The one where zombies DIE!!! ... and Zombieland...

Post by Panther220410 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:51 am

Who said anything about a Police Baton? Those pieces of junk are made of hardened plastic, not metal. Aluminium is durable enough to shatter the brain case and destroy the brain with little to no damage to the baton itself. I agree a POLICE BATONis used to subdue, mine are meant to kill.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 am

Panther220410 wrote:Who said anything about a Police Baton? Those pieces of junk are made of hardened plastic, not metal. Aluminium is durable enough to shatter the brain case and destroy the brain with little to no damage to the baton itself. I agree a POLICE BATONis used to subdue, mine are meant to kill.
Why have a specialty tool when a short crowbar does that and more better?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:12 am

Panther220410 wrote:Who said anything about a Police Baton? Those pieces of junk are made of hardened plastic, not metal. Aluminium is durable enough to shatter the brain case and destroy the brain with little to no damage to the baton itself. I agree a POLICE BATONis used to subdue, mine are meant to kill.
[citation required]
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54 am

I've seen this on a few other threads (and if I missed it here, sorry). Ball peen hammer all the way. Light but has enough weight to gain a lot of momentum, easy one handed swing, easy to carry on a belt. Even if it's not your primary it would make an awesome back up.

Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:27 am

roOism wrote:If I'm going to have a melee weapon I'm going to want something that is multi-functional, like a big framing hammer, an axe of whatever variety, or something like the Stanley Fubar Image
Do you own one of those?

I do, it is HEAVY as all hell. It is made as a sledge hammer, and is about as balanced as one.

The FUBAR is a great tool, but a piss poor weapon.

I would much rather have a Ka-Bar Kukri Machete or a longer handled Tomahawk for melee... maybe a hog hunting spear.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:36 pm

74 or more wrote:I've seen this on a few other threads (and if I missed it here, sorry). Ball peen hammer all the way. Light but has enough weight to gain a lot of momentum, easy one handed swing, easy to carry on a belt. Even if it's not your primary it would make an awesome back up.

One of the biker chicks in Feast 2 & 3 used two ball peen hammers. Coolest character in the series, without a doubt :awesome:

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:28 am

I'll play this game.. It looks fun.

I give you "The Mace of Sadness" ie: Queball on a Stick.

Still have to do the Coconut test,....
Last edited by brothaman on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 pm

The ball peen is nice, but seems a little redundant with its two striking faces. I personally would rather have a claw on one of the sides that so that I could pry open doors/cabinets/locks/etc. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense (i.e. being able to escape/avoid the fight). If its weight you are concerned about, DeWalt (and Stanley) make a 17" Titanium framing hammer with a 15oz head for under $50. I know I have mentioned this before, but it still sits close to the top of my list for a zpaw melee weapon. You've got reach, swinging/prying leverage, it's light-weight, and versatile.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Just got done chopping down a tree with my Estwing Carpenter's Hatchet. I'll have a review up, but I just want to say if I can't pack a sword, I want this for Zed slaying.

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 am

shiddymunkie wrote:The ball peen is nice, but seems a little redundant with its two striking faces. I personally would rather have a claw on one of the sides that so that I could pry open doors/cabinets/locks/etc. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense (i.e. being able to escape/avoid the fight). If its weight you are concerned about, DeWalt (and Stanley) make a 17" Titanium framing hammer with a 15oz head for under $50. I know I have mentioned this before, but it still sits close to the top of my list for a zpaw melee weapon. You've got reach, swinging/prying leverage, it's light-weight, and versatile.

Shiidymunkie that's not Titanium it's steel. Titanium ones run $90 (Ti head on wooden handle), to $200 (one piece head and handle). You can't get Titanium for cheap.

The Amazon reviews for the steel one you linked to talk about a weak handle. The Estwing all metal 16oz rip hammer would be a better idea:

http://www.amazon.com/Estwing-E3-16S-16 ... B0000224VG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:21 am

You are correct, it is steel (my mistake). I'll have to check the reviews about the weak handle.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 am

Red Tamarillo wrote:The Estwing all metal 16oz rip hammer would be a better idea:
If Estwing had t-shirts I'd wear 'em.

edit:

ERMAHGERD ERSTWERNGS DERS HERVE TERSHERTS!!!

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”