Combat tactics 101: Melee weapon choice

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Combat tactics 101: Melee weapon choice

Post by KentsOkay » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 am

Ad'lan wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:
Zombies can go f*** themselves, gorramn Reavers are what I'm concerned about.
The only use for a sword is before Reavers get close enough to use it on them, because if reavers are close enough to use it on them, you'll wish you had used it on yourself when you had the chance.
Psht, a skinny little girl managed just fine against them.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Yes, but her training was rather.... expensive.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

OCR
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZOMBIE LAND, BLACK SHEEP, SHAWN OF THE DEAD

Post by OCR » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

I didn't ready every single post, just scanned through it all. I saw some argueing about the Katana then the Basterd Sword was mentioned. An actual test was done comparing the two swords. Both swords where tested by someone with no exp with eather. The Basterd Sword was deemed useless compaired to the Katana. The Katana required much less effort to weild and did a lot more damage than the Bastered Sword. Even when the foe was wearing Steal Armor, the Katana still WON.

My personal choice of melee weapon would be a Riot Shield (they are very easy to make) and a metal Knight Stick (also easy to make) strapped to my side. On my back I would carry a Katana, if I had one. I would also have a Machete strapped to my leg oppisite the Knight Stick.
What is LIFE you ask? Well LIFE is that thing that takes a BIG FAT DUMP on all your HOPES and DREAMS. That is what LIFE is.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:37 am

OCR wrote:I didn't ready every single post, just scanned through it all. I saw some argueing about the Katana then the Basterd Sword was mentioned. An actual test was done comparing the two swords. Both swords where tested by someone with no exp with eather. The Basterd Sword was deemed useless compaired to the Katana. The Katana required much less effort to weild and did a lot more damage than the Bastered Sword. Even when the foe was wearing Steal Armor, the Katana still WON.
i know the video you watched

"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:36 pm

OCR wrote:I didn't ready every single post, just scanned through it all. I saw some argueing about the Katana then the Basterd Sword was mentioned. An actual test was done comparing the two swords. Both swords where tested by someone with no exp with eather. The Basterd Sword was deemed useless compaired to the Katana. The Katana required much less effort to weild and did a lot more damage than the Bastered Sword. Even when the foe was wearing Steal Armor, the Katana still WON.

My personal choice of melee weapon would be a Riot Shield (they are very easy to make) and a metal Knight Stick (also easy to make) strapped to my side. On my back I would carry a Katana, if I had one. I would also have a Machete strapped to my leg oppisite the Knight Stick.
Show me this test. Also, bastard and night. Basterds are Jewish-Americans who kill Nazis. Knights ride about on horses receiving cutlery from broads in puddles and slaying dragons.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

pascalywood
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead
Dawn of the Dead
28 Days later
28 weeks later
Zombie Strippers

Post by pascalywood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:44 pm

I slayed a dragon once. Not something Id recommend.

As for my weapon of choice. Id go with a high quality steel katana for the hackin and slashin. Id also want a blunt weapon for the skull bashing part. I had this homemade mace I made at the factory I was working at many years ago. It was a hollow steel pipe with lines of studs welded on an extremity. Not something Id like to receive in the face I must admit. :)

OCR
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZOMBIE LAND, BLACK SHEEP, SHAWN OF THE DEAD

Post by OCR » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 pm

KentsOkay wrote: Show me this test. Aeso, bastard and night. Basterds are Jewish-Americans who kill Nazis. Knights ride about on horses receiving cutlery from broads in puddles and slaying dragons.
Its one post above yours.
The Long Sword and Basterd Sword are practicly the same thing.
What is LIFE you ask? Well LIFE is that thing that takes a BIG FAT DUMP on all your HOPES and DREAMS. That is what LIFE is.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that katana was much better built then the bastard sword was. There was no fuller on that longsword, and from what I could see the edge looked like crap. But that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that a katana blade with a complex western hilt wielded in a mix of western cut and thrust and traditional kendo slashes would be awesome.

frogdude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night & Dawn (obviously)
28 Days later
Shawn of the Dead
Braindead (aka DeadAlive)

Post by frogdude » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:48 am

Did you ever see the other video pitting a German longsword against a katana? The katana chipped badly and bent nearly in half. Youtube videos (usually made by people who a) don't have a clue what they're doing and b) are pre biased and want a certain outcome) aren't the best source of info.

It's more about the technique (and training) than the weapon. Katanas don't have magical powers and are no better than an equivalent quality specimen of any other type of sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBUxw_hdw7g
Lionel wrote:
Paquita wrote: Your mother ate my dog!
Not all of it....
http://www.electricfrog.webs.com

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:29 pm

person talk about the knight sword and samurai sword but don't forget something :

those weapon were made and used by people who spend YEARS to perfect their technique.

you should look at sword who were made for people with less experience and training. i only know 2 sword who were made for such people

the Chinese war sword
Based on agricultural knives, dadao have broad blades generally between two and three feet long, long hilts meant for "hand and a half" or two-handed use, and generally a weight-forward balance. Some were made for military use, but they were most commonly associated with civilian militias or revolutionaries. While not a particularly sophisticated sword, the weight and balance of the dadao gave it considerable slashing and chopping power, making it an effective close combat weapon for untrained troops; it was used in this role as late as the 1930s in the Second Sino-Japanese War. During Operation Nekka the Chinese claim that whenever they had a chance for close engagement, the dadao was so deadly that they could cut off the heads of Japanese soldiers with ease. A military marching song, the Dadao March, was composed to become the rally cry for Chinese troops throughout the Second Sino-Japanese war to glorify the use of dadao during battle with the invaders.
In origin, design, and use, the dadao is broadly comparable to the European "Großes Messer" and falchion. However, the dadao was also commonly used by executioners for beheadings.
and the Grosse Messer
Messer (German for "knife", also großes Messer "great knife", Hiebmesser "cutting knife", Kriegsmesser "war knife", etc.) during the German Late Middle Ages and Renaissance (14th to 16th centuries) was a term for the class of single-edged bladed weapons, deriving from the medieval falchion and preceding the modern sabre.[1]
Its hilt included a straight cross-guard and Nagel: a nail-like (Nagel literally means 'nail') protrusion that juts out from the right side of the cross-guard away from the flat of the blade, to protect the wielder's hands. Quite notable in its construction was the attachment of blade to the hilt via a slab tang sandwiched between two wooden grip plates that were pegged into place. Also of note is that many pommels were 'drawn out' or curved to one side of the hilt (edge side), a feature known as a "hat-shaped pommel". Extant examples seem to have an overall length of 30 inches with a 24.5 in (62 cm) blade, and a weight between 2–2.5 lb (0.91–1.1 kg).
The Messer was part of the curriculum of several fencing manuals in the 14th and 15th centuries, including Lecküchner, Codex Wallerstein and Albrecht Dürer.[2]
Although often confused with the Kriegsmesser ("War Knife"), it has to be clearly distinguished from the Grossmesser, being more than 1500 mm long and shaped more like a scimitar, originating as the Hungarian version of the German Zweihänder. Kriegsmessers were used by professional soldiers, typically Landsknechts. An example of this, also called a "Long Knife", is preserved in the Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer, Vienna.

(note that i showed Cold steel model because i know them and love that company but other company and sword maker also make great models)

both models were made for people with less to no training , and also take less training to manage to use them with minimum effectiveness.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Psht, y'all forgetting something, I AM willing to put years into training, and have. Also, I fucking love my WIndlass Raptor Sword. Is sexy and slashes like a fiend.

Not my review, but I feel the same about EXCEPT I think the ricasso it has is absolutely titties,as apposed to cool. Helps a lot with my thrust, I'm used to finger on the ricasso for thrust.
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/Windl ... eview.html

Irukandjipavor

Post by Irukandjipavor » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:44 am

tedbeau wrote:
AUA wrote:IMO, the melee weapons of choice in a zombie apocalypse would be some sort of durable yet lightweight staff-type item (baseball bat, hockey stick, and the like).

My reasoning behind this is because in practical terms, zombies will always (ALWAYS) outnumber survivors, and killing should only be done if necessary. The idea behind the staff-type weapon is that it increases your available options when it comes to taking down (not killing) zombies; instead of investing energy into killing zombies, you use the weapon strictly defensively.
I totally don't get this. Are you planning on domesticating them? Why would you want to fight them to escape, yet let them survive to come at you again and again. How many times are you going to run/fight each zombie before you decide to put an end to it. If the zombies already outnumber the survivors I would think the faster you reverse that situation the better.
You'd think it would take less energy to KILL a zombie, then to incapacitate one anyways.

GraphicWave

Post by GraphicWave » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:42 am

KentsOkay wrote:Psht, y'all forgetting something, I AM willing to put years into training, and have. Also, I fucking love my WIndlass Raptor Sword. Is sexy and slashes like a fiend.

Not my review, but I feel the same about EXCEPT I think the ricasso it has is absolutely titties,as apposed to cool. Helps a lot with my thrust, I'm used to finger on the ricasso for thrust.
0.0 That is one of the best swords I ever saw. Very nice.
- You can't just be the good guy and expect to live. Not anymore. -

frogdude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night & Dawn (obviously)
28 Days later
Shawn of the Dead
Braindead (aka DeadAlive)

Post by frogdude » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:10 am

KentsOkay wrote:Psht, y'all forgetting something, I AM willing to put years into training, and have. Also, I fucking love my WIndlass Raptor Sword. Is sexy and slashes like a fiend.

Kent, you know when you get bored with that sword, you're welcome to send it my way!
Lionel wrote:
Paquita wrote: Your mother ate my dog!
Not all of it....
http://www.electricfrog.webs.com

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Yeah, I'll get bored with it real quick :roll:

I dunno if I can ever part with this thing, it's my first real damn sword :crazy:

I'd trade it in a heartbeat for pretty much anything in Zombie Tools's lineup.

Must wait, must save patiently...

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:59 pm

KentsOkay wrote:Not my review,

So, give us your review. I was totally unimpressed by the video on the page you posted.

Have you tried hitting anything more substantial than a water bottle? What's the tang like, any idea? It looks pretty tip-heavy.

It certainly looks cool, but most "fantasy swords" are pure wall-hangers, even the expensive ones.

Can anyone comment about the 1060/1095 Carbon Steel construction?

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:17 pm

mystic_1 wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:Not my review,

So, give us your review. I was totally unimpressed by the video on the page you posted.

Have you tried hitting anything more substantial than a water bottle? What's the tang like, any idea? It looks pretty tip-heavy.

It certainly looks cool, but most "fantasy swords" are pure wall-hangers, even the expensive ones.

Can anyone comment about the 1060/1095 Carbon Steel construction?

mystic_1
I'll get a review up when I have actually chopped something, with luck I'll get a roadkill deer and use that. I'm not brave enough to get it down to the tang, it is a wee tip heavy, especially when gripped with a straight grip, but put your finger on the ricasso and it screams for violence.

Right now it is still in Boston because it didn't fit in one of the two suitcases I used to move back to Texas.

Jonathan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead.

Post by Jonathan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:26 am

Ha, I recently fled the Northeast myself. Best of luck in your new location!

That is a cool looking ... saber? It actually doesn't look that outlandish for a semi-fantasy blade. It looks like it isn't the sort of blade to take hard blocks with, but I hate blocking anyway. Overall seems like a fairly nice piece.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:28 am

Jonathan wrote:Ha, I recently fled the Northeast myself. Best of luck in your new location!

That is a cool looking ... saber? It actually doesn't look that outlandish for a semi-fantasy blade. It looks like it isn't the sort of blade to take hard blocks with, but I hate blocking anyway. Overall seems like a fairly nice piece.
It has a nice thick spine, I would parry with that, the time I've spent swinging it I move for upward parry swings followed by jabs or ferocious downward slashes.

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:30 am

A frozen walrus phallus wrapped in barbed wire and Poison Ivy.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:10 am

Meat N' Taters wrote:A frozen walrus phallus wrapped in barbed wire and Poison Ivy.
Lot of good it did the Walrus.
How would a 12" blade or so bowie knife work as an anti-zombie wepping? Something with a decent amount of blade width and belly?
Would it serve decent duty as a halfassed solution for machete, wood processing, prying, digging and other campsite tasks for someone who didn't have the room to carry a lot of task specific tools?
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:29 am

squinty wrote:
Meat N' Taters wrote:A frozen walrus phallus wrapped in barbed wire and Poison Ivy.
Lot of good it did the Walrus.
How would a 12" blade or so bowie knife work as an anti-zombie wepping? Something with a decent amount of blade width and belly?
Would it serve decent duty as a halfassed solution for machete, wood processing, prying, digging and other campsite tasks for someone who didn't have the room to carry a lot of task specific tools?
Assuming destruction of brain or vertebrae is key, I don't think so. Best case scenario the zombie is looking and coming at you, the blade wouldn't have the length needed to get through to the spinal cord easily. Reavers? Yeah you could probably fuck one up hand to hand, but they probably also have blades and are much more savage. Distance is key, spears and swords give distance as well as power, knives don't.

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:37 am

I know I've already put my 25 cents worth in, but how about the bastard swords from Badger Blades?
Personaly I'm an axe man to my core so in reality I'ld probably have an axe if given the choice but there are plenty of melee weapons around my home to keep me wondering which would be best.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:I know I've already put my 25 cents worth in, but how about the bastard swords from Badger Blades?
Personaly I'm an axe man to my core so in reality I'ld probably have an axe if given the choice but there are plenty of melee weapons around my home to keep me wondering which would be best.
From what I've heard on the net, Badger Blades makes tough as nails, heavy as fuck beater blades for stage combat that can be sharpened into a reasonable blade.

Sword Buyer's Guide is my one stop shop for sword info, fyi.

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”