It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Zombie Body Armor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:24 am 

Like this?
Or this, but it's just concept art to be honest.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/006/a/e/Prosapient_Riot_Armor_by_Gannadene.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:20 am 

Body would be medieval style gambeson made from 6 layers of thick linen with a collar. Think of a knee length, front opening dress with full sleeves. This can't be bitten through and weighs about 10lb. Normally in re-enactment my mail goes over the top but since head to toe mail, padding and helmet weighs about 60lb I'll pass. The hauberk that covers the gambeson weighs 24lb alone. I've also got one of the welded mail shirts that theringlord sells that is much lighter if I need it.

In general, linen shirts under any other armour would be good. The fabric is mildly cut resistant (much more so than cotton), wicks moisture better and has harder fibres than cotton (so it scrapes dirt/sweat off when you wear it).

BB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:44 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I mean, how tough does something have to be to prevent puncture from a zombie bite?? I'm thinking maybe a nice set of tough coveralls would do... cuz what sucks worse than getting chomped on by one zombie?? Getting chomped on by 30 zombies because you can't move fast enough to get away while wearing iron armor and other such devices.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:25 pm 

Puncture means infection. A bite with no puncture but broken bones can mean death, too in a world without what we consider modern medicine today.

If you happen to have a medieval suit of armor at home, that's awesome. Not sure where the bulk of the population would find one.

If you're looking for a minimal set of gear that will only prevent puncture, you would likely want to spend a few hundred dollars and get a one piece suit made from kevlar. It doesn't need to be very thick to function (less thick than most jeans). I wouldn't recommend this, because (by itself) it wouldn't protect from human bite force, it's also not a solution that would realistically work for just anyone.

I still think street motorcycle gear is ideal. Every major city has at least one place that sells it. It comes in lots of sizes. It can cover you from the neck down. There are varieties designed to breathe heavily when worn in hot weather. Off road motorcycle gear is basically garbage because it doesn't cover enough of the body (the places likely to take damage in a bike crash aren't the exact same places we see people bitten in movies and on TV).

If these things will stand up to the below, they'll work for a bite:

They make gear out of things other than leather. Leather does tend to hold up best (some leathers more so than cow hide and the thickness of the leather matters, too). There are a lot of ballistic nylon gear, and they make jeans with kevlar layers in key points (as with above for off road gear, I don't think that having kevlar in a couple places is good enough).

With all of this you have to balance protection with reduced mobility.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:54 am 

In my opinion, riot armor would be best. It's lightweight, you can still move around in it pretty well and still have agility, but it protects from bites and scratches from zeds and small arms fire as well. Anyone agree?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:26 am 

Improvisation is sometimes the best form of defense in a survival situation, and it can be one of your best tools when defending yourself against the undead. With that in mind, if you can't find the right clothing or afford the armor you're looking for, why not make your own? With a bit of cash and a little ingenuity, the local crafts store and hardware/automotive repair isles have plenty to offer. When it comes to armor to protect you from the undead, there ae three factors to take into account: weight, durability, and coverage. Typically, in an engagement with an undead hostile, your extremities will be at the greatest risk of being bitten/scratched/fill in your own zombie attack adjective here. Arm and leg guards would be your lightest options, and would help in some capabilities to protect your most vulnerable areas. Think of bracers, shin guards, splint armor, etc. It fits over clothing, and would only need to use paracord or clasps to fasten it tightly to your body. Material wise, fiberglass could work fairly well if layered enough, and is extremely light weight. Make a set of bicep, forearm, and shin guards that wrap around the entirety or majority of the limbs to hold off bites and scratches to your limb extremities. Can't find or afford it? Another great substitute that is both cheaper and durable (possibly more durable) is canvas cloth and burlap sack material. You can get them from any arts and crafts store with a fabrics section, and it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg (pun intended) to get a few feet of material to make them. The only downsides to them I could foresee would be breathing room, maintenance over time (though they should last you quite a while if properly made and reinforced), and exposed joint areas. Wear them over tougher bight resistant clothing as mentioned before in other posts, typically lighter and looser materials, and it should work just fine. If you need a visual of this concept, the below tutorial video on making arm bracers with this method (made by a guy on YouTube called ZednoughtAlpha) shows the step by step process. Though originally intended for aesthetics and non-combat related wear, the ideas behind its design are pretty sound.

Tutorial for the bracers begins at 1:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TDCkZTirMw

EDIT: Aaaaand I just realized this is a 4 month old "dead" topic. Acknowledge or disregard this at your leisure. Apologies for the threadomancy -_-'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:05 pm 

Isn't bringing a dead thread back to life great practice for the undead?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43 pm 

The first thought that comes to mind is something that repels liquids, whether it’s a liquid repellent fabric or something made out of windbreaker material, and also something that covers my arms and legs entirely while still being breathable or loose enough to allow air flow (could be tied closed if/when necessary). I’d also want to carry some custom made forearm and shin guards (out of something light but strong and form holding) because as nasty as it is, you can wear a material that human teeth can’t bite through but if it’s pliable then the zombie(s) can still take a large chunk out of you without ever actually contacting your flesh. That could be crippling and even potentially fatal since I imagine a wound like that could become infected easily or even just handicap a person. Then, of course, if the virus was spread via liquids I’d have to have eye pro and something to cover my mouth and nose on my person just in case I came into contact with them, because blood and spit can be sprayed and it splatters. I always wonder how the people in movies don’t contract the virus when blood splashes across their face, especially if they have scrapes or cuts themselves. I probably wouldn’t wear these things at all times but I’d have them with me so I could slip them on (fingers crossed for no random, unexpected encounters with little time gear up lol ). Last but not least, some good boots and gloves but most importantly a weapon to hopefully prevent this from being an issue in the first place! :words:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:43 pm 

2 litter coke bottles. They are light and have you ever tried biting through one. You wouldn't want to get surrounded and wind up on the ground depending on it, but as a general lite weight armor to run through Z's with i think it would work great. Punch holes in it and tie it on on with leather strips or parachute cord. Maybe cover it in oil to make it slippery so the biting bastards cant hang on. Definitely ligher that chainmail, leather or kevlar and a whole hell of a lot easier to replace.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:14 pm 

Zombie thread on a zombie site...
After re-reading through the responses over the last few years, a lot of you are now dead, or worse - useless weight on those around you. Not trying to spoil anyone's fun, but there have been several mention bunker gear (firefighting suit) and other heavy insulators.
The number one cause of injury and death for a fire fighter working a fire is heat related - because bunker gear is a great insulator and DOES NOT BREATH, at all, any.
Working a wreck, in January, in below freezing temps, no flames - you will be sweating like a fat kid chasing an icecream truck uphill in the summer time. Heatstroke, Heat exhaustion and, heat stress are all real problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:59 pm 

I almost think there is a certain amount of "less is more" as bad as I think that will be taken... :?
If you could have a hard plastic/leather/metal outer forearm guard i feel you could get away with light fabrics with better breathing in other areas. Keep in mind the ability that if "arm in grasp going to get bit" you would be able to maybe give a shove and put said guard in their mouth rather than squishy soft parts... :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5