Zombie Body Armor

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SRO1911

Re: Zombie Body Armor

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Black or grey cotton tee shirt, broken in - comfortable wranglers, my Leddy boots, a boonie hat if its cool out or a good straw for the heat...while sitting in my recliner on the roof.
Good optics and solid lower levels are our friends.

GRPABT1

Post by GRPABT1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:21 pm

azrael99 wrote:You know there is some gear you can buy that arent fancy looking and are higly efficien such as:

-anti-bite sleeve again dog and stab-proof sleeve, they are made of kevlar and seem ordinary almost like a pair of sock but they can protect you again bite slash and stab

- leather jacket : you need thick leather like those motorbike jacket

- a good pair of working boot or motorbike : they usually high enough to protect most of your leg and made of thick leather with a bonus steel toecap
Problem is it's very hot and humid here, I have a leather jacket but couldn't imagine doing any strenuous exercise in it here even in winter. Denim will breathe better. Also looked at the Kevlar stuff and it's also thick and hot, and sleeves don't help neck and shoulder area.

drawesome

Post by drawesome » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:05 am

Human teeth are pretty dull, so it really wouldn't take much.

I did a quick home-experiment to see what the minimum requirements would be… and it looks like duct tape (4 layers) and/or leather is all you need to make you pretty much invincible. No need for all the fancy stuff. :)

The full account is here:
http://theamazingdoctorawesome.blogspot ... lypse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:40 am

drawesome wrote: The full account is here:
http://theamazingdoctorawesome.blogspot ... lypse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was a pleasantly-thorough read. Kudos!

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Full set of motorcycle racing leathers with a helmet and some of the cut resistant kevlar leather gloves.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

reaper_soulman
Favorite Zombie Movies: survival of the dead,dairy of the dead,day of the dead(original and remake),dawn of the dead(original and remake),night of the living dead(original and remake),undead,zombieland,28 days later,28 weeks later,resident evil,resident evil apocalypse,resident evil extinction.
many more

Post by reaper_soulman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:46 am

Steak suit just cover your entire body in steak that way if a zombie bites you they get steak.
"death overcomes all"

ambulanceman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ambulanceman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:44 pm

If I could obtain it, I would go with one of the shark suits. The chainmail ones.

In reality, probably a thick coat and some extrication gloves. As well as denim jeans and my tactical EMS boots. Because in all honesty, how many of you can bite through a pair of jeans?

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:12 pm

tire armor !!!!!

"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

ambulanceman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ambulanceman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:59 pm

azrael99 wrote:tire armor !!!!!
I need some of this in my life..

zhins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, world war Z,

Post by zhins » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Most defensive wounds are on the forearm right? So auto exhaust pipe on fore and upper arms, or possibly heavy PVC pipe. Must have good gloves, eye covering, and mouth cover, but no helmet if for whatever reason you go down makes the job that much harder for the next guy
"Remember boys, spine is divine, but those knee's, they'll do just fine" (world war Z)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:01 pm

My Idea of Body armor Image
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:24 am

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:40 am

shiddymunkie wrote:Image
:clap: :clap: :clap:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

archer97

Post by archer97 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 pm

I agree with the bmx body armor, good protection for likely damaged areas but still very lightweight and maneuverable.
i like this set

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/2 ... 0x1000.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Im not fantasizing, the zombie apocalypse is inevitable right??

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 am

Puncture resistant clothing isn't terribly difficult to come by. There are lots of materials out there that human nails/teeth won’t penetrate. But, you have to think about the 120 pounds of bite pressure the average human is capable of and the chances for this causing bone breaks.

So, while it’s simple to throw on kevlar or leather gloves, getting savagely bit in the hand by an intent human would likely still result in broken bones. Now, this is way better than becoming infected, don’t get me wrong! But, remaining safe from a zombie attack requires more than a set of motorcycle racing leathers and a helmet (or whatever).

This also doesn’t take into consideration a mob’s ability to pull a person apart (as depicted in most zombie fiction). While one may not be a threat, a small group may pin a person down (especially a person with reduced dexterity due to bulky layers of clothing/armor). Once pinned down you may not be capable of getting away, and it would only be a matter of time before the integrity of the clothing/armor was compromised.

As I mention above my armor of choice for someone looking for a full suit of zombie resistant armor would be motorcycle gear. Why? It's easy to get, and people don't bite through leather, though I imagine the lighter and more breathable textile motorcycle gear fabrics will work, too. Every metropolitan area has multiple stores that sell motorcycle gear. A full riding suit and a helmet would be resistant to the puncture of a zombie's teeth or nails (though it has the vulnerabilities I list above). Motocross armor is something, but it leaves areas effectively unprotected. A shark suit may be better still (it's basically ringmail), but they're too heavy for real use on land, and where the hell are you going to find one (realistically)?

My choice for limited zombie armor would be shin and hand/forearm protection from gloves and sleeves (kevlar is simple, light and doesn't reduce maneuverability), and perhaps a shield (I'd settle for a garbage can lid, it isn't like I'm dealing with crafty opponents able to find holes in my defenses). The idea of wearing a leather suit at all times is neat and all, but you're more likely to overheat (it isn't like you can just turn on a faucet).

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:39 am

Off the top of my head, how about a fencing jacket and fencing mask?

http://scattershotgaz.files.wordpress.c ... et-001.jpg

But in my opinion even that might be too much.

The best defense against zombies is mobility. Which means the weight and more critically the heat trapping burden of body armor and helmet could be crippling.

Now if one is wearing heavy protective clothing anyway because it's winter or you are riding a motorcycle, that could serve double duty as bite protection. But in my opinion a minimum of protection is probably best. Perhaps a hardhat or a bike helmet plus vambraces.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-52-leat ... races.aspx

I can vouch for these because I bought some when they were on sale for half-price. However be warned that the picture is somewhat misleading because they are black not dark brown.
Last edited by gunsandrockets on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:26 am

Shinobi.Holmes wrote:Batman's suit, without the cape.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAl6AhArfM

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Here a quick pic of me and my dad in our armor, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Note my lack of trigger control.

Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:01 pm

I would use:

A modified Gaelic football helmet (with leather ear covers and a plastic visor)

Some sort of coveralls with a hood (Not like a NBC suit or anything)

I would also use A set of hard knuckle gloves, Heavy duty leather boots and a leather neck piece. With some armor made out of thick plastic (vambraces, ankle protection and a chest piece.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:42 pm

ThePhuckStopsHere wrote:What elements would you incorporate into a full on set of body armor that is specifically designed to protect you from a attack by the walking dead.Be serious , and have fun with it.
Actually on my topic about a zombie apocalypse In the end I specified a kevlar bike sport tracksuit (since I think the military stuff is too heavy and ineffective against a zombie being made to protect against bullets and not by bites).
Supposely that a kevlar suite could be sufficient for cut and definitely would not be able to protect from sprains and broken limbs, against a group or if you can't move.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:34 am

alessandro wrote:
ThePhuckStopsHere wrote:What elements would you incorporate into a full on set of body armor that is specifically designed to protect you from a attack by the walking dead.Be serious , and have fun with it.
Actually on my topic about a zombie apocalypse In the end I specified a kevlar bike sport tracksuit (since I think the military stuff is too heavy and ineffective against a zombie being made to protect against bullets and not by bites).
Supposely that a kevlar suite could be sufficient for cut and definitely would not be able to protect from sprains and broken limbs, against a group or if you can't move.
Make it leather, that way you can at least look sexy as you are attemping to run in a Motosuit while overheating. Ever wear a sportbike trackday suit? Pretty much useless except for riding a sportbike on a trackday.

Nice leather jacket and thick pants... maybe, if you want to look like Wolverine. Full leathers? Absolutely not...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:50 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Ever wear a sportbike trackday suit?
Unfortunately no, too expensive and often too specialized so often don't suitable for walking.

Based on what said on motoport (take a look at the range of temperature) seem that their product have taken into consideration the problem of heat and relative transpiration.
The same technology is used for law safety vest normally worn on hot weather.

Pc Genie
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Re: Zombie Body Armour

Post by Pc Genie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:03 am

I would recommend various types of purpose-built armour such as:

- Motocross Armour. Using hard plates for reduction in sharp force and blunt force trauma, just watch out for the exposed areas.

- Riot Armour. A full body suit can and will resist trauma with good body coverage, plus the helmet design allows a great panoramic view.

- Historical European Martial Arts Armour. Lightweight and mobile like the above two, with good padding and hard armour enough to fully resist blunt steel swords in full-contact fighting. (fencing masks included, not seen in picture)

- Maille + Brigandine Armour. Even more resilient than any of the above and able to absorb and deflect weapon strikes, UNLIKE THE BLOODY MOVIES this heavy armour is still well jointed to allow for good movement with training, but obviously is more of a sprint than marathon type of protection.

- Bullet Resistant Armour. Excellent and far superior to the above armours for ballistic protection as well as promoting the same degree of manoeuvrability, but with several exposed areas and reduced CQC protection.

On a final note I would like to say that if I ever saw a supposed Zombie Hunter outside of the military in bullet resistant armour, I'd duck and cover, the bastard is likely hunting the living since zombies don't use guns!
I am a Historical European Martial Artist from http://www.IronDoorCollective.co.uk.

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:20 pm

I like the offerings from this company: http://www.ringmesh.com/ChainMail_Protection_s/2.htm

This is the material they make oyster shucker gloves from. I have one of their short sleeve shirts and an 8" x 8" sample square for testing. I have not been able to cut or break a single link with swords or axes in testing. And it is reasonably light weight. It does require light to medium padding between the mail and your skin to protect from pinching and bruising.

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”