Nice Zombie-knife

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rainbow_pact

Nice Zombie-knife

Post by rainbow_pact » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Windlass D-Guard Bowie

I went searching for an anti-zombie weapon. It looks like a pretty nice combination of a fighting knife and a naval cutlass. Here's a video I found of it in use on YouTube. It looks like it handles pretty well.

It weighs 1 pound and 5 ounces and has a 17-3/4" blade.

rainbow_pact

Re: Nice Zombie-knife

Post by rainbow_pact » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:06 pm

It just occurred to me how functionally similar this thing appears to be than Cold Steel's Butterfly Swords. I'm wondering how they compare. The one I posted in the OP is a couple inches longer and significantly cheaper, but the Cold Steel one looks like it has a more functional sheath and is a little bit thicker (not width wise, up and down).

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:11 pm

*cough*theseguysaresuperiortoallantizombiebladesjustcuz*cough*
http://zombietools.net/tools/
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Nice Zombie-knife

Post by Dutch253 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 pm

Great link! I love the Che t shirt there. I may have to get one.
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:23 pm

It looks to me like the blade steel is VERY thin. This worries me. But I could be wrong.
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

NTS

Post by NTS » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:30 am

Dutch253 wrote:Great link! I love the Che t shirt there. I may have to get one.
Exactly what I was thinking, also, those blades they sell are a little pricey.

In the meantime, the Rambo 3 shall remain my Zombie knife.

"Too much freedom is dangerous to those who cannot cope with the responsibilities that accompany independence." - Anton Lavey

ArmchairWarrior

Post by ArmchairWarrior » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 am

That's more like a short cutlass than a knife anymore.

Shame d-guards are illegal in NY, at least I'm pretty sure.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:14 am

NTS wrote:
Dutch253 wrote:Great link! I love the Che t shirt there. I may have to get one.
Exactly what I was thinking, also, those blades they sell are a little pricey.
How so? Spring steel, American made. Bit of a bargin when you really look at it.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

HellSpork

Post by HellSpork » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:04 am

rainbow_pact wrote:Windlass D-Guard Bowie

I went searching for an anti-zombie weapon. It looks like a pretty nice combination of a fighting knife and a naval cutlass. Here's a video I found of it in use on YouTube. It looks like it handles pretty well.

Windlass knives are crap. Crappy, crappy crap. They make costume pieces.

Their swords are on the low end of functional. This is okay, because a sword has one job: cutting soft material.
Their knives are similarly functional, only a knife is a TOOL. A knife NEEDS more functionality as it's something that would get used for more than fighting. Their blades are soft, the edges don't last long. Some people mistake this as a good thing, because they're "easier to sharpen". Personally, I sharpen my blades the RIGHT way, so I prefer they stay that way as long as possible.

I got one of the Windlass D-guard bowies in trade. The previous owner must've been retarded, because he attacked improper targets with it. He chopped it into pressure-treated wood with nails in it. There were several LARGE nicks in the blade; fatal damage because they form stress-points. Flexing would've cracked the blade at the nicks.
Having given up on the blade entirely, I decided to just piss around with it. I founded out the gouges with a file, then just kept on going. This is what I ended up with.

Reloaders37

Post by Reloaders37 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:03 am

That knife looks like already a saw.

frogdude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night & Dawn (obviously)
28 Days later
Shawn of the Dead
Braindead (aka DeadAlive)

Post by frogdude » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:34 am

I wouldnt be too quick to disregard Windlass knives, they are after all the sole supplier of khukris to the Ghurka regiment, as well as holding several other military contracts.
Lionel wrote:
Paquita wrote: Your mother ate my dog!
Not all of it....
http://www.electricfrog.webs.com

HellSpork

Post by HellSpork » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 am

frogdude wrote:I wouldnt be too quick to disregard Windlass knives, they are after all the sole supplier of khukris to the Ghurka regiment, as well as holding several other military contracts.
The way I understand it, they supply the uniform dress kukris. The soldiers use their own in combat. I've handled Windlass kukris, and they're absolutely atrocious. The beveling is poor, there's no taper, they're too heavy with poor balance, and they don't hold an edge very well.

And military contracts don't mean much. Often enough, that just means they were the lowest bidder.

stressrelief 28.5

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:32 am

HellSpork wrote:
rainbow_pact wrote:Windlass D-Guard Bowie

Windlass knives are crap. Crappy, crappy crap. They make costume pieces.

Their swords are on the low end of functional. This is okay, because a sword has one job: cutting soft material.
Their knives are similarly functional, only a knife is a TOOL. A knife NEEDS more functionality as it's something that would get used for more than fighting. Their blades are soft, the edges don't last long. Some people mistake this as a good thing, because they're "easier to sharpen". Personally, I sharpen my blades the RIGHT way, so I prefer they stay that way as long as possible.

I got one of the Windlass D-guard bowies in trade. The previous owner must've been retarded, because he attacked improper targets with it. He chopped it into pressure-treated wood with nails in it. There were several LARGE nicks in the blade; fatal damage because they form stress-points. Flexing would've cracked the blade at the nicks.
Having given up on the blade entirely, I decided to just piss around with it. I founded out the gouges with a file, then just kept on going. This is what I ended up with.

That damn thing would make me shoot somebody..Crapola.

Js1911

Nice Zombie-knife

Post by Js1911 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:57 am

Best zombie knife has to be the trench knife it's a streamline dagger about 7" and brass knukles for handle u can still get Copys today I've got two. They were ment to stab down therw helmets and crush in faces ofthe enemy go check em out I beleve they say 1918 on the handles.

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 am

Back in the day they use something called faskinkniv, designed to chop reeds for manufacturing 'faskiner' during seiges and such.

With a slight recurve to the blade and the weight placed well forward it was very efficient both for camp work and when you found yourself at close quarters.

http://hoeglund.org/vapen/dolkar/Faskinkniv_M1848.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The D-guard bowie reminds me of the hand guard versions of the faskinknife.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

Js1911

Nice Zombie-knife

Post by Js1911 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 am

See lots of swords here hmm a 20$ cold steel 24" mechette would be best. And since I geuss I probly can't trust my trench knife copys not to break I'd go beker bk7 or cold steel recon scout both have reviews on you tube I own the recon scout it's 71/2 blade is thicker than 1/4 " It battons wood like a champ idk I feel likd a narrow dagger would be better for stabbing threw zombie sckulls so here's one more the Gerber mark 2 as fetured in last issue of knives Illistrated in 2010 it is a dagger type 6.6 blade partialserations make me think it could get cought in a skull not sure never had to stab one. But these three knives are tested and true the gerber was carried in Vietnam . I don't think anything would be more usefull than a mechette in actual zombie combat beside maby a large prybar becouse added plus of being able to get into and out of places while on the run bashing in Z brains guns take bullets though and draw attention use those if u want to have to fight off a hoard

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 am

Js1911 wrote:See lots of swords here hmm a 20$ cold steel 24" mechette would be best. And since I geuss I probly can't trust my trench knife copys not to break I'd go beker bk7 or cold steel recon scout both have reviews on you tube I own the recon scout it's 71/2 blade is thicker than 1/4 " It battons wood like a champ idk I feel likd a narrow dagger would be better for stabbing threw zombie sckulls so here's one more the Gerber mark 2 as fetured in last issue of knives Illistrated in 2010 it is a dagger type 6.6 blade partialserations make me think it could get cought in a skull not sure never had to stab one. But these three knives are tested and true the gerber was carried in Vietnam . I don't think anything would be more usefull than a mechette in actual zombie combat beside maby a large prybar becouse added plus of being able to get into and out of places while on the run bashing in Z brains guns take bullets though and draw attention use those if u want to have to fight off a hoard

I would trust neither reproduction trench knife or Gerber MK II . They are 440c Stainless Steel.

Now, I'd trust a Zombie Tools spike for brain stabbing purposes.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:32 am

ArmchairWarrior wrote:

Just wondering, is that why these guys leave a gap in the guard... To get around these laws?

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:46 am

maldon007 wrote:
ArmchairWarrior wrote:

Just wondering, is that why these guys leave a gap in the guard... To get around these laws?

I think so, there was an OLD thread they posted on, that was something they mentioned.

Js1911

Nice Zombie-knife

Post by Js1911 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:15 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
Js1911 wrote:See lots of swords here hmm a 20$ cold steel 24" mechette would be best. And since I geuss I probly can't trust my trench knife copys not to break I'd go beker bk7 or cold steel recon scout both have reviews on you tube I own the recon scout it's 71/2 blade is thicker than 1/4 " It battons wood like a champ idk I feel likd a narrow dagger would be better for stabbing threw zombie sckulls so here's one more the Gerber mark 2 as fetured in last issue of knives Illistrated in 2010 it is a dagger type 6.6 blade partialserations make me think it could get cought in a skull not sure never had to stab one. But these three knives are tested and true the gerber was carried in Vietnam . I don't think anything would be more usefull than a mechette in actual zombie combat beside maby a large prybar becouse added plus of being able to get into and out of places while on the run bashing in Z brains guns take bullets though and draw attention use those if u want to have to fight off a hoard

I would trust neither reproduction trench knife or Gerber MK II . They are 440c Stainless Steel.

Now, I'd trust a Zombie Tools spike for brain stabbing purposes.

all I know of the gerber mark 2 is it saw service in veitnam well that's what the knife mag sed. As far as if there 440c idk that it's a more easaly broken steel than most I don't like 440c couse sharpening and edge holding and I wouldend be doing much cutting anyway just skull stabs. I'd like to know what these Zombie Spikes are made of that makes them so much better?? I'll look into it

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:36 pm

If I were getting a Gerber Mk.II, I'd get the anniversary edition with the cat's tongue grip (molten stainless sprayed onto aluminum for texture), wasp-waisted, with no serrations. It is a knife with a single purpose: to stab. It is one knife that is almost totally useless as a tool. But fucking sweet for stabbing zombie brains and hanging on your wall.

This one, if you can find 'em: http://www.rockynational.com/5971_22-01 ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Damn it, now for no good reason I'm wishing I'd bought one of those when they were available. :lol:

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:55 am

Jeriah wrote:Damn it, now for no good reason I'm wishing I'd bought one of those when they were available. :lol:
They still are Jeriah, the Phalanax is the bad boy I want most from them, just with micarta or wood grips (they've mentioned they will do custom grips)
Js1911 wrote:
all I know of the gerber mark 2 is it saw service in veitnam well that's what the knife mag sed. As far as if there 440c idk that it's a more easaly broken steel than most I don't like 440c couse sharpening and edge holding and I wouldend be doing much cutting anyway just skull stabs. I'd like to know what these Zombie Spikes are made of that makes them so much better?? I'll look into it
The original Mk II was high carbon steel I believe. Stainless steel due to chromium content are more brittles. 440c is a very cheap and easy to work steel that works well enough for smaller blades, thus its prevalence. 1000 series and 5000 series high carbon steels are much better, but alas they rust. 1060-80 are common in good knives example being ESEE knives. 5160 is a very popular sword steel being on par with many historical katanas and superior to any Medieval European steel. ZT makes their blades from 5160, and the spike from 1060 I do believe.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:35 am

Jeriah wrote:If I were getting a Gerber Mk.II, I'd get the anniversary edition with the cat's tongue grip (molten stainless sprayed onto aluminum for texture), wasp-waisted, with no serrations. It is a knife with a single purpose: to stab. It is one knife that is almost totally useless as a tool. But fucking sweet for stabbing zombie brains and hanging on your wall.

This one, if you can find 'em: http://www.rockynational.com/5971_22-01 ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always wanted one of those, I had a fake little "boot knife" sized copy when I was like 16... Never a nice one though. *searches ebay...*

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”