It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 am 

does anyone have a respectable 'timeline' concerning an outbreak of society-crippling proportion? given modest predictions *zombies can't run, destroy the brain to kill them, current population demographics* how long before a country *example: Canada* as a whole is overrun?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 am 

in canada, i don't think a zombie outbreak will last more than a winter or two, it wont be long before bodies start freezing all over the place...unless a zombie can build a fire :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:34 am 

I'm really not sure how you could come up with anything Zombie related, specifically as this topic is, tie it to reality, and call it "respectable".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That was my biggest beef with the movie 30 Days of Night. The enviormental damage from being in those conditions would be enough to severely damage any body. I think zombies would fall under the same rules. Enviromental damage would affect them just as it would live humans.

Follow the rules of any pandemic, and I think it will hold true to a Z outbreak.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 am 

Honestly, in a developed country with a developed military, I don't see a Z outbreak in the way you described it lasting more than a few months. Like honestly, one tank could wipe out thousands of zombies just by rolling over them. Also, It doesn't take much armor to make someone bite proof.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:31 pm 

Here's a study done by Carlton University and University of Ottawa epidemiologists, specifically dealing with zombies

http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf

EDIT: Grammer

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 pm 

That meant nothing to me. Thank you for giving me a few pages of Chinese to read, lol. I'm in calculus right now, no where near that level nor will I ever be at that level.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:15 pm 

Yeah, a lot of Greek there for me as well :lol:

But I can understand the graphs, some.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:30 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I am going to move this to Zombie Tactics since that is the gist of the OP

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:43 pm 

Hannibal wrote:
That was my biggest beef with the movie 30 Days of Night. The enviormental damage from being in those conditions would be enough to severely damage any body. I think zombies would fall under the same rules. Enviromental damage would affect them just as it would live humans.

The things terrorizing the town in 30 Days of Night were Vampires not Zombies. Vampires regenerate with the blood of defensively towns-folk.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:21 pm 

shenkhu wrote:
in canada, i don't think a zombie outbreak will last more than a winter or two, it wont be long before bodies start freezing all over the place...unless a zombie can build a fire :?

I'd wager that a zombie could freeze, then thaw and be fine. I mean, what damage would really be done to the zed if it freezes? It's already dead. It's flesh is either rotting (in such case, would freezing extend 'life' for zed?) or already damaged severely.

Even if the blood expanded inside of the blood vessels when frozen, when thawed wouldn't it just.. shrink back? Unless the brain hemorrhaged to the point of no return.. I think zeds would just keep on truckin'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Biggin215 wrote:
Honestly, in a developed country with a developed military, I don't see a Z outbreak in the way you described it lasting more than a few months. Like honestly, one tank could wipe out thousands of zombies just by rolling over them. Also, It doesn't take much armor to make someone bite proof.

As a member of the Armed Forces (albeit, not in one of your tank-based services), I don't have anywhere near as much faith in the military as you seem to. But it all entirely depends on the style of outbreak, and how quickly it spreads. If it's one of your Dawn of the Dead-style "the recently deceased everywhere arise to attack the living" attacks, I'd hold little to no hope at all for an organized response. You have to factor in the human factor of surprise, and how many people honestly even think about the possibility of a zombie outbreak. In my joking around with people who catch me reading the Zombie Survival Guide, it's really not too many people at all. Too many people would fail to comprehend what was happening, and they would quickly get overrun.

If it's a Patient Zero that doesn't really leave their town, say somewhere in rural Nevada, then I could see battle plans being drafted and the infection contained quickly and efficiently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:23 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Glenn wrote:
shenkhu wrote:

I'd wager that a zombie could freeze, then thaw and be fine. I mean, what damage would really be done to the zed if it freezes? It's already dead. It's flesh is either rotting (in such case, would freezing extend 'life' for zed?) or already damaged severely.

Even if the blood expanded inside of the blood vessels when frozen, when thawed wouldn't it just.. shrink back? Unless the brain hemorrhaged to the point of no return.. I think zeds would just keep on truckin'.

The problem is that the cells that maintain the body are rupturing. Sure a zombie might not need blood (especially if we are talking supernatural zombie versus virus/bio weapon zombie) but it will still need meat to move. When meat freezes, the cells rupture and lose whatever cohesion they had. After even one freeze and thaw, the meat won't be the same. Given several freezes and thaws, the zombie would just fall apart. IMHO, thawed zombies stack up there along side water logged zombies as the least likely to be a threat as the flesh that allows the locamotion would be destroyed by the environment. Superntural zombies can ignore all these rules. Why? Because they are supernatural contructs. They don't play by the same rules. :)

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:56 pm 

Glenn wrote:
shenkhu wrote:

Freezing a body causes the cells inside to rupture as the cells are mostly water, and could possibly do enough damage to destroy the CNS of a zed, rendering any zed created by scientific forces re-dead.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:11 pm 

Wildeman_13 wrote:
The problem is that the cells that maintain the body are rupturing. Sure a zombie might not need blood (especially if we are talking supernatural zombie versus virus/bio weapon zombie) but it will still need meat to move. When meat freezes, the cells rupture and lose whatever cohesion they had. After even one freeze and thaw, the meat won't be the same. Given several freezes and thaws, the zombie would just fall apart. IMHO, thawed zombies stack up there along side water logged zombies as the least likely to be a threat as the flesh that allows the locamotion would be destroyed by the environment. Superntural zombies can ignore all these rules. Why? Because they are supernatural contructs. They don't play by the same rules. :)

Hey neat! Thanks, that was pretty educational to me. :D The thought of a killing machine like a zed dying in a freezer burn-esque way makes me giggle. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:21 pm 

Here's one I found online:
Z-120: CDC identifies a new virus; it appears benign but spreads rapidly. Code named WILDFIRE.
Z-day: THE DEAD WALK! Infection among First responders runs 10%, 2% among the general population, they have no idea what they are dealing with. CDC begins to try and ID the vector.
Z+1: Police call in all off duty personal. Outbreaks are isolated and small. Most are contained. Infection among first responders runs 15%, 8% among the GP(cumulative). They’re being more careful. ICUs and holding cells are overwhelmed with the infected. CDC confirms the infected are dead.
Z+2: Casualties among first responders runs 17%, 12% among the GP(cumulative). Wide spread looting and civil disturbances. The police cannot cope with both living and the dead. National Guard activated in 20 States. The active Military places its Bases under Quarantine and prepares for domestic deployment. Homeland Security recommends “putting down” the infected.
Z+3: National State of Emergency declared. Casualties among first responders runs 22%, 15% among the GP(cumulative). At this point Many Police, Fire and Rescue squads are no longer able to function as first responders and withdrawal from first line service. All National Guard Units ordered to Federal Service, Guard Units report 80% strength. CDC confirms the link to WILDFIRE. Many areas of major cities become NO-GO zones. The economy begins breaking down. Overwhelmed Hospital staff begin keeping patients under sedation if they cannot be released.
Z+4: Casualties among first responders runs 23%, 20% among the GP 5% amongst Guard units(cumulative). Shooting walkers and looters on sight becomes Standard Operating Procedure. Some NO-GO areas reopened. Army and Marines begin search and destroy operations in the areas around their bases, reopening lines of communication and securing critical infrastructure. Additional Reserve Units mobilized, 70% show up.
Z+8: Casualties among first responders runs 25%, 25% among the GP 15% amongst Guard units, 5% among active units(cumulative). NYC, LA, San Diego, Chicago declared NO-GO zones. Active Units begin moving into major cities. Two Heavy brigades ordered to secure and clear Atlanta.
Z+12: Casualties among first responders runs 28%, 30% among the GP 20% amongst Guard units, 10% among active units(cumulative) reinforcements from Reserves begin to bring military units back up to strength. Atlanta Declared secure.
Z+13: Casualties among first responders runs 30%, 35% among the GP 22% amongst Guard units, 15% among active units(cumulative)San Francisco, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cleveland NO-GO zones. Police and National Guard resume control of Atlanta. Army units redeploy from Atlanta to other zones.
Z+18: Casualties among first responders runs 33%, 40% among the GP 25% amongst Guard units, 18% among active units(cumulative). San Diego declared secure. 1st Marine Division and the remains of California National Guard establish Pendleton pocket to keep LA infestation from moving south and Baja infestation from moving North. NYC secure but under siege, The bulk of 82nd Airborne and 2nd Marine Division committed to its defense. Baltimore declared NO-GO zone. Federal government evacuates DC to Continuity of Government Bunkers. Refugees flood into Atlanta. Production of essential supplies grinds to a halt.
Z+28: Casualties among first responders runs 40%, 50% among the GP 35% amongst Guard units, 25% among active units(cumulative). Chicago secured but 101st Airborne Division rendered incapable of further offensive operations in the effort. Population of Atlanta swells to twice its pre-Z levels. Secondary infections begin spreading in cleared zones. Critical infrastructure begins failing. Resupply of units in the field becomes problematic. Some forward units no longer responding to orders.
Z+40: Casualties 60% among the GP, first responders and Guard units no longer responsive or absorbed into Regular units, loses 35% among active units(cumulative). Military begins withdrawing to their own base where possible. Infrastructure in near complete collapse. CDC begins to move out of Atlanta.
Z+53: Casualties among the GP unknown, loses among regular units still responding 50%.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:51 am 

Well it looks like the zombie outbreak has started here due to this thread coming back from the dead.
All jokes aside welcome to ZS. I noticed this was your first post so why not drop by the introduction area of the site and let us know a little bit about yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:48 pm 

shenkhu wrote:

Why wouldn't they thaw out in spring & just keep going? :clownshoes:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:11 pm 

Zombie Symptoms: Body sensory stimulation, response, and motor function without apparent functioning of circulation, digestion, or a requirement for respiration. Mental function appears limited to ability to control voluntary muscles toward a goal of attempting to eat.

There must be some aspect of the infection that provides an alternative source of digestion, "nourishment" and stimulation of the muscles. Although the zombie genre typically mention a virus, and sometimes a bacteria, in general neither of these are structured to be an viable arguable means to perform what that zombie infection appears to perform.
My suspicion is that the infection that "works" is a type of fungus. They can exist in "small" batches, or cover square miles. They can digest or infest whatever they encounter, but can also use their digestion to "aid" other organisms with which they establish a symbiosis. As a "goo", they can enter an organism thru any opening in the protective membrane, or they can be an airborne spore.

The fungus spore can be airborne, and can remain dormant for a long time, perhaps only becoming active when the infected entity dies and the "immune" system is no longer there to fight the spore in its attempts to mature. This could get the infection world-wide before health or other authorities even realized there was a problem. Deaths of those carrying the spore infection may, or may not result in the corpse rising, perhaps depending on the immune system status of the dying, or how well the spore can get mature fungus tendrils into body tissues before the tissue has deteriorated beyond ability to respond to stimuli.

The stereotypical zombie bite would of course induce a significant load of mature fungus directly into the soon to be new zombie. Carried throughout the body by the circulatory system, it overwhelms the defenses.

A fungus could "digest" what the zombie eats, without the need for a human digestive system, and by digesting the bacteria that would otherwise rot a corpse, keep the dead "relatively" fresh. Thru fungus tendrils throughout a body, it could "feed" the cells of the body.

Although the meat the zombie ingests is in general within the confines of the digestive tract of the former human, in that the fungus (perhaps aided by symbiotic bacteria) is performing the digestive function we could expect the fungus digestive end result to be a foul liquid, which would emanate from any gap in the digestive tract, or either end of the former tract.
There are fungus which produce oils or alcohol, perhaps helping to stem deterioration of the still mobile corpse, and acting as an anti-freeze.

The fungus spore source may be a “side effect” of deliberate mutations during attempts to create commercial products using fungus, for example production of fungus based artificial meat…

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:21 pm 

All the forum also and theories only cloud the true answer. The zombie virus travels at the speed of the plot.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:
Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:22 pm 

Plot aspect… inside the tomb of the Chernobyl reactor a robot discovered a thick coat of black slime growing on the walls, and took out samples… This slime, a collection of several fungi actually, was more than just surviving in a radioactive environment, it was actually using gamma radiation as a food source. Samples of these fungi grew significantly faster when exposed to gamma radiation at 500 times the normal background radiation level. The fungi appear to use melanin, a chemical found in human skin as well, in the same fashion as plants use chlorophyll.

https://unitedcats.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... l-reactor/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:05 pm 

DarkAxel wrote:
Here's a study done by Carlton University and University of Ottawa epidemiologists, specifically dealing with zombies

http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf

EDIT: Grammer

Very interesting read. It's nice to know that governmental bodies are gearing up for a zombie pandemic. 8-)