Military & Shotguns?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kitsune
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's Dawn, Dawn remake, Shaun, Romero's Night, 28 Days later.

Re: Military & Shotguns?

Post by Kitsune » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:42 pm

I am an infantry guy in Iraq right now. My platoon runs missions everyday. Myself and two other guys were issued shotguns before we deployed, and even had training on them. It is not that the army does not use shotguns or does not flaunt them. Shotguns in modern combat have a wide variety of uses, from door breaching, all the way up to room clearing.

Nechro
Favorite Zombie Movies: To many to list!!!

Post by Nechro » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 am

wbfos wrote: Remington also makes a 2+1 pump that fits under the M-4 barrel for breaching. (remington instead of Mossberg because of the saftey location)

I just read an article about how they are starting to use these in Afgany.

I build simulated weapons that the army trains on (EST2000) and we have a lot of simulated 870's out there.
When you die, if you have a choice to go to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not mmmmm boy!

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:31 am

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index. ... =1671&HS=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:53 am

LOL... Step 1, put your war face on.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Well here's my two cents worth as an infantrymen writing this from Iraq. I have used a shot gun to breech multiple doors . Never once have I ever cleared a room with one. For the techniques we use you just don't do that. I am confident in my ability to put rounds down range in a CQB situation inches from one of my guys.

Could I do this with a shotgun.. .NO

So the argument that will come up now will be well have the guy on point carry it.....

And to the post about breaching a door with a shorty then being #1 man.. I have never seen the breech man also be #1 man unless by accident when he kicks the door or breeches he goes in.. Just not smart to much going on when you have a 4 -8 man stack
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

trevor3433
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil: Degeneration, Fido, Diary of the Dead [2008], Shaun of the Dead, Dead Snow, Land of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead [2004], Night of the Living Dead [1990], I Am Legend, etc.

Post by trevor3433 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:59 am

Murph wrote:
LOL... Step 1, put your war face on.
You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, follow me.
"Stay Vigilant, Stay Quiet, Stay Alive" - JL Bourne

Coal-Cracker

Post by Coal-Cracker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:39 am

Nechro wrote:...

I build simulated weapons that the army trains on (EST2000) and we have a lot of simulated 870's out there.
I received instruction in how to run our company through the EST2000 range while at Ft. Dix.
Man, they had everything. M4s, M4s w/M203s, M16A2s, M16A4s, M16A4s w/M203s, M9s, 870's, M240B's, M249s,... even had some of new H&K M320s.

Only issue we encountered was the air compressors had problems keeping up.
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

Gastong

Post by Gastong » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:45 pm

My friend just got back from a tour in Somolia....yes we still have folks there......ugggghhh

Anyway, he is a medic but back home he is a cop. He chose to have a shotgun and an M9 over anything else they had....M16s, M4s, para-M249 Saws.

I asked him why, because I couldn't think of a reason, but he said he just felt more used to it. To each his own.

Sign me up for more bullets, longer range, faster reloads, full auto capable.....yada X3

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 am

I doubt as a medic he's really focused on shooting. While working on a patient, I'd imagine he's being covered by other squad members. However is someone snuck up on him, that shotgun would sure smear them across the deck.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:28 am

The book Special Warfare, Special Weapons by Kevin Dockery includes a very thorough history of the use of the shotgun by Navy SEALS from the UDT days of WWII through the 1990s.

I think that in the course of this thread, the OP's question has been thoroughly answered with a resounding "Yes," but it's been an interesting read along the way.

Yrkoon9
I Talk to Spammers
I Talk to Spammers

Post by Yrkoon9 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:50 am

A shotgun will put a guy down with one shell. The M4 has a lot of penetration but no stopping power. We used a shotgun on several occassions in Iraq. But the majority of the time it was the primary non-lethal weapon we had in case people got stupid.

uudfourty
Favorite Zombie Movies: With the right imagination, they're all zombie movies....

Post by uudfourty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Teeth55 wrote:Hmmmmm.....for some reason I always thought that shotguns were banned from declared wars by the Hague Conventions. But I guess that it's just hollow point and expanding ammunitions which are banned. And now I believe that I have a new favorite weapon configuration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:XM26_2_highRes.jpg

Bad....ass.... :shock:
foUr--> foUrteen --> foUrty

It's not the world that needs saving, it's the human spirit that's in jeopardy.

dirty506

Post by dirty506 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 am

being a medic in the army and a deployment to afghaniland under my belt i can tell you we definately used shotguns. we did do some breaching but mainly we gave them to our gunners incase people were to close to the trucks and the gun couldnt go low enough. we used them for that reason several times and the 00 buck is very effective. also being a medic i owuld have liked to have a shotgun cuz as murph said it owuld smear them across the deck.i carried an m9 and m4 but i was shooting back a lot. the way i see it thats preventive medicine, if i'm shootin that means everyone is good and who can argue more rounds down range? i love shotguns though they are effective i nthe right situations and u can always get slugs if need be

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”