Hand-To-Hand Combat

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:41 pm

ProZombieHunter wrote: Guns are the best way, and apart from motoring the bastards down, the only way.
Actually you can't really say that and have any fact behind it. For all you and the rest of us know a bread roller could be the best zombie hunting tool. Who knows, maybe you have to pinch a zombie in the earlobe to kill it, so we can't really say whats best for killing zombies and whats not.
Hunter for hire with no plans to retire

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:31 pm

In that case, I'd rather do my pinching with a nice rifle, thank you very much.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:37 pm

what ever floats your boat.

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

smashzilla

Post by smashzilla » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:22 pm

I know it sounds cheesey, and I know slings doesn't care for it that much, but I larp (Live Action Role Play). I've been larping for about two years or so and some of my best endurance comes from all the running and fighting we do. I get some of my best hand to hand combat while I'm there. Wether it be me going toe to toe with about 4-5 guys at once or making sure I don't get hit when I'm on the run. In most cases, it's on the run. The people tend want fight me when I'm out numbered. Just like zombies would if the situation was in their favor, minus the wanting part. Besides, zombies aren't resourceful, but they'll try and kill you by themselves or in a horde. So its pretty much fight while running for your life.
Just remember, Pain lets you know your still alive.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:21 pm

Hunter for Hire wrote:
ProZombieHunter wrote: Guns are the best way, and apart from motoring the bastards down, the only way.
Actually you can't really say that and have any fact behind it. For all you and the rest of us know a bread roller could be the best zombie hunting tool. Who knows, maybe you have to pinch a zombie in the earlobe to kill it, so we can't really say whats best for killing zombies and whats not.
Well, by the same token you could say that this entire forum is all full of complete nonsense, because there's no ABSOLUTE PROOF that zombies even exist in the first place.

But let me put it this way: If it's trying to kill me, whether it be a rabid weasel or an elephant, I'm gonna shoot it in the head or hit it with a car that's bigger than it.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:25 pm

Hunter,

Do you disagree that guns would be the most effective defense tool?

I don't know you at all, but I hope you're not a "swords don't need reloading" type. Only cuz we need as many of us as possible to survive.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:16 pm

Just to play devils advocate, I have to say that Hunter has some reasonable points, just like the rest of us. Knocking down a zombie in front of us or in our path is good to know. Think of "Ben" in Night of the Living Dead while he is outside of the house just pushing past or knocking down the wandering zombies. We all want guns because none of us want to engage zombies in close combat. I think Hunter is just defending himself from four or five folks that say "YOU'RE WRONG!!!" all at once.

Anyway, Smashzilla, join me for my jogging. I'll show you stamina. I'm up to two and a half miles now. I'll catch you off the boards for that stuff.
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:23 pm

Red Panda wrote:Hunter,
Do you disagree that guns would be the most effective defense tool?
I don't know you at all, but I hope you're not a "swords don't need reloading" type. Only cuz we need as many of us as possible to survive.
I cannot Disagree with something that we can never prove to be the best tool for the job. i can see how you could say that a gun is the best tool, but im not going to outright say that as a fact. I think a good weapon would be spears like in brave heart, twice the size of men. it has a lot of advantages and a lot of disadvantages...what a coincidence, so does the gun. Im not trying to start any big ordeal and im not saying that guns would blow against zombies. im just saying that you can't be close minded to other option when we are dealing with somthing with so many variables.

kielbasaD1

Post by kielbasaD1 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:50 pm

i thought that this is if you were stuck in a situation when you have to use hand to hand of you die. well i still like the idea of braking the jaw than deal with trying to kill it.

-kielbasaD1 -let me stand next to your fire

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:51 pm

Do you know what the most common injury sustained when punching someone in the face is? Cutting your knuckles on their teeth. No thanks.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Joe Ghoul

Post by Joe Ghoul » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:43 pm

True dat.

I broke too many bones in my right hand before I learned the valuable lesson of not hitting people with a body part with that many small parts.

Its elbows and barstools for me now.
Strap on your weapons and reinforce your means of travel.

C'est la (un)vie!

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:22 pm

It's pretty simple to hurt your hand when you punch someone or something else with any real power behind it.

Case in point:
While I was staggering around Atlantic City, dead drunk, and looking for my ride home, I found myself in a small bout of fisticuffs with my drinking buddy of the evening. I was aiming for his head, but I managed to punch him in the hip. Don't drink and fight. It took the better part of a week for the brusing to go down on my hand.

Boxers tape their hands to keep the bones from moving around while they're punching. I have fractured both hands in the past by striking incorrectly. Now I know better.
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:02 am

Number one mistake I have seen people make is punching with the small knuckles of the last two fingers.

Smaller, easier to break -- I see kids walking around this town all the time with those fingers splinted together or with that wierd knuckle-clamp apparatus. Foolish, probably because they whipped themselves into a frenzy listening to too much "punk rock" and hit a wall or something because their parents don't love them.

You can hit a stud doing that, which'll probably break any of your knuckles, but I'm just saying...

Learn to punch properly, and even better: Don't get into a punching situation.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:21 am

ProZombieHunter wrote:Number one mistake I have seen people make is punching with the small knuckles of the last two fingers.
Yeah, I got one of those "boxer's fractures". I have a third knuckle on that finger now. :oops:
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:31 am

Hunter for Hire wrote:Im not trying to start any big ordeal and im not saying that guns would blow against zombies. im just saying that you can't be close minded to other option when we are dealing with somthing with so many variables.
Hunter,

Please don't think that I'm only gonna carry a gun & that's it. I've got an ax, 14" crowbar & a knife as part of my kit as well. Trust me, I wanna live & wouldn't discount any potential weapon. If there was a bread roller or a spear nearby & I had an opportunity to use it effectively, then damn straight someone's getting it upside the head.

It seems as though we agree, so I'll leave it at that.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:25 pm

sounds like a party to me champ

butter_dt

Post by butter_dt » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:01 pm

i dont even know where to start. there are 3 ways to spell jiu jitsu ju jitsu jyu jtisu. i never said i would put a zombie in an armbar i said would use jiu jitsu to escape from a zombies grasp. you all agree that you could push a zombie over. punching is just, basicly pushing really hard with your fist or elbow or what have you. i didnt know this was a spelling bee. :x

Raven927

Post by Raven927 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:15 pm

a way to escape grabs if they grab your hand pull in the direction there thumb is facing you will be free and use that time to RUN LIKE HELL

when you make a fist you see that little hole near your thumb and pointer finger put your thumb in that hole see how your thumb moves when a zombie grabs you there hand curls up into a fist sortove put your thumb in that hole and pull away there thumb should open when it does pull away and you should be free then RUN LIE HELL hope you understand what i posted i coulden't think of how to describe it.
crypto wrote:The Ruger Hokey-Pokey

YOU PUT THE MAGAZINE IN
YOU TAKE THE MAGAZINE OUT
YOU TURN IT UPSIDE-DOWN AND THEN YOU SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT
YOU YELL SOME MOTHERFUCKERS THEN YOU BEAT THE SPRING BACK OUT
THATS-WHAT-ITS-ALL-ABOUT!

Z Houze

Post by Z Houze » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:56 am

Taido or Akido would be your best bets. Akido was mentioned above so I wont say anything about it for I dont whant to repeat what someone else already said.

Taido keeps you moveing at all times and many of the kicks can knock a zombie down easyly. Mostly Taido will allow you to keep one step ahead of a zombie and 3 steps away. The entire consept of Taido (think in 5 directions, not just left and right, back and forward but all of them; left, right, forward, backword, up) can be helpfull in staying out of the zombies way.
Z Houze

Orson

Post by Orson » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:37 pm

I say ram the sonofabitch and knock it over then stomp to the neck and run.
kyle wrote:I, for once, actually agree with gundown.
GunDown wrote: I never would have fucked her if she didn't have a vagina.

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:37 pm

Because you can hold off 5 people, don't think you can hold off 5 zombies. Zombies don't care about the threat of a blow. A zombie will walk right into your weapon. They will all come at you at once, relentlessly. They won't stand there and play, "Generic badguy in a kung-fu movie" for yah.
Creaux
Barbarian Suppressing General

I survived the Spring, Fall and Winter NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gatherings!! It doesn't seem so tough anymore!!

AEnemia

Post by AEnemia » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:14 pm

ProZombieHunter wrote: Foolish, probably because they whipped themselves into a frenzy listening to too much "punk rock" and hit a wall or something because their parents don't love them.
Actually, "parents don't love me" is ussually emo. :P (That's not meant to be replied to.)

Anyhow, big agreement about "don't get into punching situations". So many guys in my school think it's cool to get into fights with anyone who has "beef" ( :roll: ) or "disrespects" them, as well as punching things when they get mad. (I guess just walking away is out of style nowadays. :roll: ) And so many guys get themselves hurt over the STUPIDEST CRAP.

Then they say I'm violent because I look at guns online and such. :lol:

I still think martial arts are useless against zombies. You're better off knocking the thing down and stomping it's head or beating it with something.

Z Houze

Post by Z Houze » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:17 am

i dont mean you can hold off five pepole it just teaches you to be aware of your surroundings and keep an out. a.k.a. an escape. you must always have one.

"he who planes is smart. he who plans to much is dumb. he who plans without an escape is dead."

i dont know who said this but they were absolutly correct.
Z Houze

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:34 pm

Ok, then. I wasn't quite sure where your thinking was.

I still wouldn't reccomend it, but if you're going to, then such a mindset is ESSENTIAL.
Creaux
Barbarian Suppressing General

I survived the Spring, Fall and Winter NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gatherings!! It doesn't seem so tough anymore!!

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”