Hand-To-Hand Combat

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NightOwl

Hand-To-Hand Combat

Post by NightOwl » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:57 pm

I, like most people would not want to go up against a zombie(s) bare handed, but if your caught in a desperate situation, skills in Kick Boxing, Karate, Judo and other forms of fighting could come in handy. Just make sure your wearing the right clothing and fear of infection is taken care of. This would be good if you don't want to waste ammo or theres not to many zombies present.

Greg
Greg aka NightOwl

raptorman

Post by raptorman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:59 pm

Are you asking what people think?
If you are, I don't like it. I say run. Avoid contact at all cost. No, i'm not a bloody pacifist, I just don't want them to have a chance at scraping me with a fingernail, or a tooth after a "judo" chop to the mouth.

Just avoid them, duck and run if you must.
Author of the hit Day by Day Armageddon series and dystopian thriller, Tomorrow War
JLBourne.com
Official Facebook

badseed

Post by badseed » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:14 pm

i dont think it would work unless you can beat them to redeath. you couldn't really knock a zombie out or beat them into submission. & you couldn't choke a zombie to death either. at best you may be able to use some fancy throws to get them off of you while you try to high tail it out of there, but that still seems way to risky.

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:51 pm

All I'd do is, kick em over or RLH (RUN LIKE HELL). If I'd kick them over I'd probably issue a killing move (i.e. stab or shoot).

Methos

Post by Methos » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:04 pm

Pfft, kickboxing won't do squat, nobody in their right mind would want to prepare to kick a zombie in the head.
Judo...unless they're running, or at least have some type of momentum to use it (and their weight) against them, is again useless, and sucidal because it puts you in the closest contact possible.
Karate...well unless you want to try and take a good swing and their knee with your leg in a very, very desperate situation, it's useless. I've been doing the art for running on 11 years now, and there is no way I'd ever attempt to punch a zombie, it wouldn't knock them over, or back, and they don't feel pain or get the wind knocked out of them.
Tae Kwan Do....nah..just...nah.
Jujitsu is worthless. It's mostly locks, you wanna try and break a zombies arm? Go for it, I'll be happy to put a bullet between your eyes.
I can't say much on Jeet Kun Do, but I guess I wouldn't suggest that either.
Tai Chi? Eh.....no
Kung Fu See: All other forms of martial arts.
Boxing..no.

I know my hand to hand stuff, the only thing I ever suggest using them for is to build your body or against a human assailant (providing they don't have a gun)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

nicklefish

Post by nicklefish » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:20 pm

What about Akido? Isn't that all about dodging and deflecting?
Don't make excuses. Make results.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:46 pm

Actually, multiple person randori in Aikido would be one of the few martial arts tools that I think would be useful against zombies. The reason being that you learn how to position yourself and move so as to keep mobile, and not let someone grab you. If you stop moving during a multiple person (or zombie) assault, you are basically dead. I would suggest martial arts training to anyone, but not specifically for anti-zombie use. Your best bet with zombies is: keep away.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

will
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by will » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:21 am

i think YOGA is your best bet...
Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:27 am

You know, RUGBY or football would be pretty good training....
How about a ZS rugby league, but you have to play in full combat gear? :D Or maybe just a full gear game of football now and then? I mean, I hated football in school, and can't see why anyone would want to WATCH a game, but as ZOMBIE TRAINING, I kind of like it!
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:25 am

Martial arts: TRAIN IN AT LEAST ONE. Don't expect to use those moves on a zombie, however. Even myself, having designed my own hatchet/tomahawk fighting system, HOPE I WILL NEVER BE THAT CLOSE to the undead.

Martial arts are great. I love them. I love knowing a few, I love being a hoplologist and going to the library and reading about them. I love talking with other practicioners.

But don't ever plan on using any on a zombie. The training is useful, just in case, but DON't plan on it, on PURPOSE.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:30 am

One of the biggest problems I have with martial arts is the one thing NONE of them teach: How to run away without shame. Yeah yeah, they are all about conquering your fears, and that's cool, but there's REASON to be afraid of zombies or muggers or that guy at the checkout counter who HAS to strike up a conversation about what you are buying even though you say "Do I look fucking lonely to you? Leave me alone!" (true story). Anyway, running from danger is a perfectly valid alternative as long as you don't have anything to lose by doing so. This doesn't apply to hierarchal dominance fighting among the young males of the species, of course, because running just means you'll be at the bottom forever, but you know what I mean. ummmm. Run when you can, fight only when necessary, yeah, that's it.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:15 pm

Good philosophy.

...Think about it.

ShadowViper

YEAH

Post by ShadowViper » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:43 pm

:D Martial Arts Rocks. They help in all aspects of life...and the tournaments are some of the greatest sporting events I have ever been a part of.

Methos

Post by Methos » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:25 pm

Well yeah, people act like I can take anyone down. If somebody points a gun at me and wants my cash, it's theirs. I can't dodge bullets, and they can pull the trigger a lot faster than I can move to disarm them.

True that martial arts is one of, if not the best physical training systems out there, they just don't work well against the undead.

If anybody wants to talk martial arts, gimme a PM, IM or something, I'll be more than happy to.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:39 pm

I used to post on a forum at fightingarts.com. Haven't been on it much lately, though. It's a good place to learn a lot. If we get ZS patches, will you martial arts types sew them on your competition gi? :D

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:26 pm

I'm not in any competitions... I dunno.

Being a hoplologist has kind of got me jaded against martial arts as a sport. Sorry competitive fighters, it's just not my thing.

That's not to say I don't give props where props are deserved. BIG props to hard-contact karate sparring guys, props that aren't quite so big to tournament judo practicioners, small props to taekwondo guys, but no props at all for kickboxers.

Unless you're a Muay Thai stylist. American kickboxing has basically the same practical application as Tae Bo: It'll get you in good shape, but if you ever need to defend yourself, you're gonna get stabbed the first time you try to kick someone in the temple.

...Think about it.

NecronomiconExMortis

Post by NecronomiconExMortis » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:00 am

I'm going to have to go with the run like Hell approach. If not, the only thing I'd ever think of doing to a zombie without a weapon is tripping them, and then only if I was desperate. And even then, I'd pick up something sturdy and put it in their mouth to keep them from biting me and to give me something to hold their head back with. A stick, or even a shoe, something other than my hand, preferably.
"...they woke up on the wrong side... of the grave."
"Shotgun blasted demon peice of lead..."

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:12 am

Easily RLH.

Although you might be running into more zombies no matter which way you go. So sharpen up those hand-to-hand skills everyone.

...Think about it.

NecronomiconExMortis

Post by NecronomiconExMortis » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:26 am

But you should never be without your hatchet/hammer/trenchspike/machete/baseball bat/nightstick/chainsaw if you can help it.

Jonas

Post by Jonas » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:02 pm

NecronomiconExMortis wrote:But you should never be without your hatchet/hammer/trenchspike/machete/baseball bat/nightstick/chainsaw if you can help it.
Coincidentally I sleep with a machete taped to a baseball bat that has a vertical foregrip made out of a trenchspike under my pillow.
Sometimes I cry so much I need a poncho.

will
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by will » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:04 pm

um that sounds comfy...
Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

NecronomiconExMortis

Post by NecronomiconExMortis » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:36 am

HA! Where's your chainsaw?

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:07 am

I remember playing the zombie-shooting game on the net somewheres a few years ago.

It was really fun, and if the zombies got in too close, you had a machete with a taser built into the hilt...

Slice'n-shock!

...Think about it.

Jonas

Post by Jonas » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:59 am

NecronomiconExMortis wrote:HA! Where's your chainsaw?
I keep the chainsaw running at all times and wedged between the frame and the box spring of my bed. That way I can just reach over and decapatate and or playa hate. Also if a tree breaks into my room I can carve it into a bear or an eagle of some sort and put it in my yard.
The cost of gas for a never ending chainsaw is pricey but I find that the cost of NOT having one is far to great to bear.
Sometimes I cry so much I need a poncho.

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”