It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traps
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 am 

One thing that's not often discussed is traps.

The undead are frequently attracted to sound (it's shown, for example, in the Walking Dead show).

So I was thinking of ways to lure them away from human habitation. The John Ringo shipping-container-with-a-woodchipper in it had already been discussed.

However, what about a sound system of some kind? In the post-apocalypse world, where almost everyone dead and cities are a lot more quiet than it used to be, it might be possible to lure zombies with a sound with one of the louder stereos turned on full blast, or a concert speaker. Have it repeat something like 'THIS IS A TRAP, HUMANS DO NOT FOLLOW' time and time again, and lure zombies in.

Then you can either shoot them or douse them in gasoline or whatever your preferred method of disposal. (If they're the 'disease-affected' type of zombies, then I think chemical warfare should at least be considered).

Another notion is the shipping container.

A shipping container has steep walls, and zombies can't get inside. Place one somewhere convenient, where the zombies can't get in, but you or your compatriot can get out. Cut a hole through the roof. Place ammunition inside, as well as a bed, a ladder, etc. Your compatriot sits on top of the shipping container and shoots the nearest zombie n the head with his rifle. More zombies appear. Repeat until bored or tired or out of ammo.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Traps
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:11 pm 

There are lots of a fun Zombie traps. I was just thinking the other day that a public tennis court would be outstanding. Ours has two courts surrounded by a 25 foot (?) chain link fence with a chain-link gate/door on each side. It would be relatively easy to lure the zombies in through one chain link fence gate using a noise maker and then have a co-conspirator or use a rope to close the door behind them. A simple chain and padlock could keep them in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 pm 

Quote:
Have it repeat something like 'THIS IS A TRAP, HUMANS DO NOT FOLLOW' time and time again, and lure zombies in.

Hadn't thought of that. Clever and civic minded.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 pm 

It wouldn't even have to be a terribly complicated trap. Dig a big pit. Set up your boom box. Go check every few days and bring a few gallons of diesel to set them on fire, which will eventually kill them and keep them from piling up so much that new ones can climb out.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 pm 

I like your thinking, however.... if we assume the pit is big a few gallons of diesel aren't going to cut it. The zombies are people (dead, but still moving around)and a large percentage of them is still water. You might burn those nearest the dumping zone but the rest are just gonna be slightly singed and the smoke isn't going to bother them.

Towanda wrote:
It wouldn't even have to be a terribly complicated trap. Dig a big pit. Set up your boom box. Go check every few days and bring a few gallons of diesel to set them on fire, which will eventually kill them and keep them from piling up so much that new ones can climb out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 pm 

if its a pit, use metal punji sticks so they don't move around then you can just pour the fuel on them and it wont need to waste as much.

plus the added bonus would be the smoke/smell/etc may attack MOAR zombies.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...