It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

How does your location rate according to the Washington Post's zompoc survivability rating?
Huh. Turns out I have nothing to worry about; at least according to these guys. 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
Pretty good but looks like I'm a little vulnerable (feel free to reply with why you think your county fell a little short). 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
About average (reply with thoughts why). 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Apparently I should think about moving. Like; soon (post why). 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
My location? Rhymes with 'ducked' (post why). 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
Doesn't matter what those Beltway wonks think; my immediate area will be zombie free out to a radius of 500 meters because I'm a zombie-killing army of one! 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:20 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/09/the-definitive-guide-to-where-to-live-if-you-want-to-survive-a-zombie-apocalypse-the-definitive-guide/

A fun little exercise by the Washington Post that reveals a surprising depth of data analysis. The wonks at the Post looked at five key criteria: population density, access to firearms, proportion of military veterans in the local population, the area's prevailing terrain, and access to bodies of water. They crunched the numbers and developed a "Z-score" for every county in the nation!

The article offers a fairly convincing rationale for their criteria and it's kinda fun to see how your area would fare. I was disappointed to learn my chances of surviving the inevitable zombie apocalypse are a little below average in my semi-rural New England county. Must be my proximity to Maine's largest city, a scant 10 miles away and likely a generator of prodigious numbers of undead. I am however within easy driving range of two counties where survivability is rated extremely high. I just need to get the hell out of dodge when the infection starts, so I don't get mired in the mass exodus towards Maine's Pisquataquis and Washington Counties. I'd better put the finishing touches on my vehicle-based bug out kit!

How did your county do? Are you sitting pretty or doomed to join the shambling hordes?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:03 pm 

I don't understand where we are in Arizona, sort of north-east of Yuma, is a low survival (of zombies) area.

There are not that many people, and the desert should be dehydrating the zombies fairly rapidly....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm surprised they would rate my AO so high, but then again, the people doing the rating probably didn't count in a lot of things I think about. While I think the zombies would be taken care of quick, it's the aftermath and response that would worry me most. Good thing zombies aren't real.

Right?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:19 pm 

fred.greek wrote:
I don't understand where we are in Arizona, sort of north-east of Yuma, is a low survival (of zombies) area.

There are not that many people, and the desert should be dehydrating the zombies fairly rapidly....

It said bodies of water was one of the major criteria. Last time I was in the area you're talking its mostly desert. That would probably be why the low rating.

As for my area, western WA.... I've always thought we'd rate pretty high. Even with the big cities we are still pretty damn sparse, once you head 20-30 minutes east.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:43 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

OK, someone voted 'Doesn't matter; I create my own zombie-free zone'. That vote merits a post with some elaboration, so 'fess up.

I'm actually sympathetic to that response because county-wide survivability ratings are - by definition - generalizations. And ZS'ers are about nothing if not wrecking the curve for the general populace.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:14 am 

I live in a metro area on a peninsula, so once the bridges go down, I'm screwed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:35 am 

I voted as doesnt matter, because, well, it doesnt, and heres why:

They put my county as WAY WAY below average. But, I live in a VERY rural town, a half mile from the only gun store in town, with a vet population of like 30%. I am a half mile from one body of water, a mile from another. The only negative criteria, according to them, is the terrain. However, I am also walking distance from 2 national guard armories, a small military base, and two elite academies with giant Gothic stone buildings and fences. So, all in all, I am pretty safe :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:46 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Interesting article. The county where I currently reside is a hair above average as I suspected. We have all of the qualities they use as criteria but counties to the North are very crowded and highly traversed and grossly unprepared for extremes. The bigger concern personally is not knowing it has started or where I'll be when it does. The article succeeds when it leaves one with more questions than before reading it. For instance, if I am safe how safe does it look to other people desperate to survive? If my plan is to sit tight how attractive must this be to thousands of other people? Having been in and around quite a few refugee efforts I know there is total chaos without a control. The control first seeks to secure itself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

majorhavoc wrote:
OK, someone voted 'Doesn't matter; I create my own zombie-free zone'. That vote merits a post with some elaboration, so 'fess up.

I'm actually sympathetic to that response because county-wide survivability ratings are - by definition - generalizations. And ZS'ers are about nothing if not wrecking the curve for the general populace.

I'm one of those voters. The main hickey my country has is proximity to DFW (Dead Folks Win) with four (count them FOUR) major highways coming into it from the MetroPlex. However, my AO is very sparsely populated with most being farm immigrant stock from Czechoslovakia, Germany, and Mexico.

Almost all are hunters and fishermen and most families have a veteran or two. There are thousands of feral hogs and a river full of fish (gar and carp balls again??)

There are some fair choke points to restrict access. The community access roads don't look like much and my part even less appealing.

Water bucket wells, viable garden plots and farmland abounds.

Best of all, there is a sense of community and most folks know each other if not related.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:44 pm 

I'm boned :oh: I live in Nashville but on the very edge. Look at the Map there is nowhere to go. I mean there is a reason TN is becoming a manufacturing hub. Surrounded by other states within 500 miles of 50% of the US population. Although the part close to Missouri and the part close to Georgia are not to developed. You will have to deal with Memphis and Atlanta respectively. One saving grace I guess is at least we wont die of thirst. I have lived in several states and TN has water (rivers lakes, ponds, streams, brooks) everywhere you look.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

My county rates as the worst no matter how I play the sliders. Now, I knew moving here was worse off than where we were before, it got me into prepping more formally but I don't think we're that bad (slightly below average I would buy). Apparently we don't have "open bodies of water" which, well, they may not be huge but we've got a whole buncha ponds and creeks around, dying of thirst is not a huge issue here. I will grant, highest population density of surrounding counties - but not nearly so high as some major metro areas that apparently rate better than we do for survival. Close enough to Chicago on an interstate for it to be an issue - but they rank 2 counties between us and Chicago as about average. Terrain's flattish, but that describes a lot of the west.

I've actually got a couple beefs with their rationale for some things - I think water's important but since Zombies can't breathe I'm not sure why they can't walk/move/creep thru water.

Fun map, though!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:04 pm 

duodecima wrote:
My county rates as the worst no matter how I play the sliders. Now, I knew moving here was worse off than where we were before, it got me into prepping more formally but I don't think we're that bad (slightly below average I would buy). Apparently we don't have "open bodies of water" which, well, they may not be huge but we've got a whole buncha ponds and creeks around, dying of thirst is not a huge issue here. I will grant, highest population density of surrounding counties - but not nearly so high as some major metro areas that apparently rate better than we do for survival. Close enough to Chicago on an interstate for it to be an issue - but they rank 2 counties between us and Chicago as about average. Terrain's flattish, but that describes a lot of the west.

I've actually got a couple beefs with their rationale for some things - I think water's important but since Zombies can't breathe I'm not sure why they can't walk/move/creep thru water.

Fun map, though!

Doesn't matter how your county rates. When the Z-Apocalypse hits you're supposed to beat feet to my place; bringing as many of your family as you desire. Low Key's <fully stocked>Medical Clinic needs a resident! :crazy:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:14 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

LowKey wrote:
duodecima wrote:

Fun map, though!

Doesn't matter how your county rates. When the Z-Apocalypse hits you're supposed to beat feet to my place; bringing as many of your family as you desire. Low Key's <fully stocked>Medical Clinic needs a resident! :crazy:
Dude I love you but I am NOT doing residency again! Also, bug out plan involves going to the homeplace which is significantly closer! We'll have to consult via radio. :clownshoes: Looking at that county, it also doesn't rate well no matter how I move the sliders. I think part of my surprise is that while I know we're not as well off when we were more rural and further west - we're still not living in a major metro, and being rated the 'same chances' of survival as Manhattan or downtown Chicago seems off. I guess "Not as Bad as Chicago" still leaves a lot of room for "Not that Great!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:14 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

duodecima wrote:

Fun map, though!

Yes I agree to both.

For instance for their metric for firearms they used licensed dealers. In my area Orleans Parish (county) has one retail FFL dealer. All of the others are in surrounding areas and everyone buys there. So moving that slider has minimal impact on that metric. Yet if you look at the violent crime rate in Orleans Parish you will see it is very high so clearly there is a mismatch in the that metric.

My area also has lots of water but other than the MS river it is salt or brackish water so I suspect that metric is likewise skewed.

As to population density the key issue is egress. There are only 4 ways out without a boat or plane for 4 parishes/counties. They require going over large bodies of water that cannot be traversed if the bridges are out. Population density should have a larger impact on the results than they do.

Still it is entertaining, which is its sole purpose.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:17 pm 

I am on the boarder of a little above average (pale green) and a little below average (pale brown) so voted average.

Though nice to see the area I am looking for land is color coded as the safest. Though I had already known it was a good location not just for ZPAW but for most any PAW. Which is part of why I chose it for a place to look for land. Second reason was land is fairly cheap there.

While these sorts of maps are nice for general info, there are a lot of factors that can alter a location up or down. For example, if your in a nice rural area with access to water and sparse population but your neighbors are bunch of methhead freaks. Your survivability might be a bit lower. As well as you might be in a dense populated area but have a easy to defend neighborhood that you have networked with residents and set up a plan that could make your survivability in such a location much higher than what the map thinks.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:25 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:

I didn't vote such, but I think there are lots of ways to rid an area of zombies quickly and safely.

Such as set up a set of wood chippers in front of zombies and turn them on. Watch as the zombies walk themselves into pulp.

Or find a brush clearing rig and drive around mowing zeds down. Or a mine sweeper to shred zombies. Etc....

There are a lot of things that would quickly thin the zombie population down.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:49 pm 

Ducked, because I live in the fastest-growing metro area in the country, and our traffic is notoriously horrible. My BOL in East Tennessee doesn't look too bad, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:39 pm 

Yeah I think their system is flawed. They have a slider for veteran concentration but not one for outdoorsmen/hunters. Not to dis the vets, but I'll take a forty year old outdoorsman/farmer/hunter over a two year vet that maybe never saw any combat as part of my zombie squad. Farmers can repair/build just about anything out of nothing. Hunters/trappers know how to survive, evade/ provide food, and are going to be as good or better shots than most vets. Even combat vets were not well trained in ammo conservation. Most hunters know to make their first shot count because most game animals are not going to give you a second shot.

My area is average survivability, which may very well be true but not entirely for the reason they used in their rating system. I'm not rural, but I'm not to far from rural areas, but I am close to a few larger population centers. I am very close to one of the 5 largest lakes in the US. We have a strong hunting and farming tradition here and there are a good number of blue collar skilled trades machinist and mechanics.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

tedbeau wrote:
Yeah I think their system is flawed. They have a slider for veteran concentration but not one for outdoorsmen/hunters. Not to dis the vets, but.

What area do you speak of? All systems are flawed. Now, Major H. may speak for the field grade in his area, but in my area I find that we are farmers, hunters, and all sorts of multi-talented people.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:02 pm 

tedbeau wrote:
Hunters/trappers know how to survive, evade/ provide food, and are going to be as good or better shots than most vets. Even combat vets were not well trained in ammo conservation. Most hunters know to make their first shot count because most game animals are not going to give you a second shot.

Just got back from a hunting weekend with true country boys and hunters. I have to say in my experience, and from observing how many shots were taken at deer over quite a few ranges and speeds, game very frequently gives you a second, and often a third, shot. Sometimes even more.

Even when shooting a single shot shotgun, I"ve had to use 3 shots to take game. Which also means my game gave me time for followup shots. If you give me a bolt action or semi, I can make lots of follow-up shots. This was proven by the group I was hunting with, who used bolt and lever guns. Lots and lots of followup shots. The Iowa boys I hunted with could work a pump or semi-auto shotgun like there was no tomorrow. Lots of guys take 4-5 shots to put a deer down at 100 yards. Lots of guys take 15 rounds to come home empty handed. I have one friend currently hunting my parent's property who takes at least 15 shots with a bow to finally bring home a deer. It seems he likes to have a longer hunting season.

Also, the guys I hunt with, both in Iowa and Nebraska, are not anywhere close to "survivalists" or "capable of evading and living off the land." Most hunters I know like to have a cushy warm bed, a cabin of some sort, and hate "roughing it."

Granted, most of the veterans I know are in a similar boat. Not many people like roughing it. Period. At least in my experience. And most of the hunters I know are not very good shots. They shoot maybe 2-5 rounds a year in practice, and 2-15 rounds a year at game. Even the hunters who are also veterans. I just don't see many people who are truly good with weapons.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:43 am 

Asymetryczna wrote:
tedbeau wrote:
Yeah I think their system is flawed. They have a slider for veteran concentration but not one for outdoorsmen/hunters. Not to dis the vets, but.

What area do you speak of? All systems are flawed. Now, Major H. may speak for the field grade in his area, but in my area I find that we are farmers, hunters, and all sorts of multi-talented people.

Yeah the overwhelming majority of soldiers I dealt with in combat arms were rural (and predominately) southerners. The support MOs guys tended to be more city boys.

Their system is flawed on the old article. Gun shops does not equal number of guns in circulation. In our county we have only a couple of gun shops. But practically everyone in the county owns at least one gun and most own several with many owning more than ten. In fact I don't know anyone that does not own at least several guns.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:10 pm 

The map puts my county at average. There are plenty of 11B types and hill country within an hour's drive, and a couple of the neighbors know their way around a Remington or various hand tools (one guy I am convinced could give Tyreese a run for his money). The immediate are where I live can be closed of fairly easily (sandwiched between a mountain and a flood culvert. Just block off the bridges with Cheval de Frise). But, there isn't a water supply, it's near a large hospital, and it's typical suburban density. So, slightly worse then average.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:01 am 

The map indicates my county is in the very high range .

Must be because even the 3rd graders here pack Glocks.