Defensable space

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Penzanse

Defensable space

Post by Penzanse » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:49 am

what would be the steepest slope a zed could walk/shamble/traverse? Is a home on a hill enough? My home is on a small ridge with a steep driveway. What say you?
I want to sing and dance, I want to sing and dance,
I want to be a Pirate in The Pirates of Penzanse!

Mikeyboy

Re: Defensable space

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:24 am

Penzanse wrote:what would be the steepest slope a zed could walk/shamble/traverse? Is a home on a hill enough? My home is on a small ridge with a steep driveway. What say you?
Good question. I though about this with TWD and Alexandria...Walled towns are good, being on an island is good, but what about the mountains? You could have a whole community on a plateau and just wall off or barricade the roads in and out, and areas that are not that steep

Its seems the shuffling style of zombies cannot climb a ladder, and the cannot do a chin up and throw their feet over to climb a 90 degree wall or solid barrier that lets say for argument is 6' high.

Shuffling zombies can crawl though, so if they can't walk up a slope, if determined enough they can still crawl up it. Its not only the grade but what is on the slope and how high it is. A 2 story high 45 degree sloping wall that is made of textured concrete may be a bit hard to walk up, but somewhat easy to crawl up, verses a wall that is the same height and grade but made of stainless steel that is polished with WD-40 and cleaned of debris daily.

45 degree - in the beginning, but it seems the camera starts tilting to make it look more steep if you notice trees in the background.

At the end of the day I think anything over 12' high and at least 70 to 90 degrees is near impenetrable, as long as the shuffling zeds don't have any debris to climb up, or they don't dog pile. I think anything 45 to 70 it would be more of an effort for zeds to go towards your home, but you cannot guarantee that a determined one might not make its way up.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 am

It would certainly slow the zombies down and likely funnel them into just a few approaches; much easier to defend.

Of course, in the zombie apocalypse, adversaries of the undead variety aren't the only ones to worry about ....

Penzanse

Post by Penzanse » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:50 am

majorhavoc wrote: Of course, in the zombie apocalypse, adversaries of the undead variety aren't the only ones to worry about ....

Good point. Make sure your home cannot be seen from the road. A nice view means others/marauders can see you too! I always thought in terms of barriers against the undead and had not realized the value of natural terrain. My driveway is pretty steep and long so I asked myself....hmmmm can a zed make it up here?

I didn't think of "crawlers" though. I think that a boar spear would handle those! :wink:

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:03 pm

This is impossible to answer without more information.

Different zombie fiction will give zombies more/less agility. This will dramatically change what a zombie physically can or cannot accomplish.

For your specific example we would also need to know things like the state of the surface, the distance, the angle, and any other key factors.

(real) Neroscientists have looked at the topic and generally agree that Ataxia is likely the issue going on in the brain of a zombie causing the deficiency with coordinated movements at the gait of a zombie.

I don't know of a way to accurately mimic this.

The closest I can come to this idea would be by getting really drunk. Now, your movements when drunk are not identical to people suffering from Ataxia. But, it will give you a very realistic idea of how difficult it would be to accomplish a goal with reduced dexterity.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just like people all zombies will not be exactly alike. When the movements are reduced by damage to the brain it will not only be dependent upon which part of the brain is damaged (in this case by the zombism disease) which should be basically identical in different subjects, it would also be based on how well developed that area of the brain was to begin with. And, this changes from subject to subject. You know people who are both more and less agile than you. If you were all turned into zombies your agility's may well be similarly uneven.

Zombie Test
If you want to test to see if zombies can walk up a thing, down a thing, through a thing, past a thing ... get really, really drunk and see if you can make it. If you can still make it the chances of a zombie getting through are decent. If you cannot make it the chances are as close as we can come to knowing that a zombie would be unable to make it.

I live in the SF bay area. We have lots of hills. I've seen a lot of drunk people fall down trying to walk up hills, down hills, and across hills.

Zombies wouldn't be likely to do something like this:
So, if you're that drunk, you went too far.

Penzanse

Post by Penzanse » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:56 am

zero11010 wrote: Zombie Test
If you want to test to see if zombies can walk up a thing, down a thing, through a thing, past a thing ... get really, really drunk and see if you can make it.
Now this is a test where there will be no shortage of volunteers! I live in wine country. There are over 30 wineries on the way to my home. I will then try to walk up my hill. This is a scientific test of course! Results to follow.

BTW that was an erudite hypothesis. Thank you.

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”