Zombie Fort.

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jlc87

Re: Zombie Fort.

Post by jlc87 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:28 pm

Guys? o.o

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:49 pm

I think this thread died. :?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:22 am

Maybe it will rise and become undead...... like a zombie......... muah hahaha
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:55 am

Haha. Actually, I just got an idea. So I watched The Walking Dead Season 5 Finale... and the Wolves put walkers into food trucks as a trap and they attracted them with bright lights and music back into the trucks after the traps were sprung. I'm thinking maybe I could do something like that, lure walkers/zeds into the garage and close the door when the garage is full, and open it when marauders come by if they try to take my goods and if there's walkers/zeds in the street in front, then they'd get pinned and eaten. Unless of course it's a sizable group and they can handle the walkers/zeds. But still, not a bad idea, eh? :lol:
Last edited by jlc87 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:34 am

jlc87 wrote:Haha. Actually, I just got an idea. So I watched The Walking Dead Season 5 Finale... and the Wolves put walkers into food trucks as a trap and they attracted them with bright lights and music back into the trucks after the traps were sprung. I'm thinking maybe I could do something like that, lure walkers/zeds into the garage and close the door when the garage is full, and open it when marauders come by if they try to take my goods and if theres walkers/zeds in the street in front, then they'd get pinned and eaten. Unless of course it's a sizeable group and they can handle the walkers/zeds. But still, not a bad idea, eh? :lol:
:clap: Genius.

I would take it one step farther: get all the garage remotes from the surrounding homes, load their garages up with zombies as well, and when intruders come, I open all the garages at once. There would be no escape.
Post-Apocalypse Hobo, Handyman, and Artisan.

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:39 am

Lol that's even more fantastic. :clap: They would herd up together and be my little pets. I'd be inside cozy and safe and they'd eat anyone that would come and dare mess with my fort. :lol:

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:10 am

Interior bracing for something like a garage door, check:

http://www.damagecontrolmuseums.org/boo ... /sec13.pdf
In particular “page” 18 of 25

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:49 am

Very nice, but should I keep the garage empty so more walkers/zeds could be stored in there? And would I smell them? Hear them yes, but would their undead odor come up into the apartment? :|

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:16 am

jlc87 wrote:Very nice, but should I keep the garage empty so more walkers/zeds could be stored in there? And would I smell them? Hear them yes, but would their undead odor come up into the apartment? :|
Nothing a little Febreze won't do :awesome: .

Been thinking more about the zed multi-garage trap, if you can hook up loudspeakers on the lamp posts or power poles all around your street, you'll be able to control the direction and movement of your pet horde.
Post-Apocalypse Hobo, Handyman, and Artisan.

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:06 am

Wolfram wrote:
jlc87 wrote:Very nice, but should I keep the garage empty so more walkers/zeds could be stored in there? And would I smell them? Hear them yes, but would their undead odor come up into the apartment? :|
Nothing a little Febreze won't do :awesome: .

Been thinking more about the zed multi-garage trap, if you can hook up loudspeakers on the lamp posts or power poles all around your street, you'll be able to control the direction and movement of your pet horde.
Lol Febreze. :lol: Yeah I'd have to get up something like that when the zombie apocalypse starts, but I'd have to be careful if I was going to rig up something like that because walkers/zeds would be about. Not to mention other people in the houses around me would be trying to survive as well. How would I set up such a system? :?

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:32 am

I came across this, seems like it would be a decent safe house. It's made of brick. And looks roomy inside. http://www.dezeen.com/2012/02/22/old-wo ... ore-194258

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:13 am

jlc87 wrote:I came across this, seems like it would be a decent safe house. It's made of brick. And looks roomy inside. http://www.dezeen.com/2012/02/22/old-wo ... ore-194258

I like it. I'm a fan of brick and clean lines. And I'm not talking about zombie proofing, I'm talking about it being a classy pad
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:12 am

I like the idea of ha-has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha-ha

Not so good against armed humans but would be excellent against zombies, animals and vehicles.

Just dig a 8’ deep trench with a vertical inner side, dump the earth on the inside to increase the height by a couple of feet and build a smooth wall against the inside face. Sounds simple but I don’t have a large country estate and a few million spare to build it. It would also need a gate house.

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:00 am

Black Beard wrote:I like the idea of ha-has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha-ha

Not so good against armed humans but would be excellent against zombies, animals and vehicles.

Just dig a 8’ deep trench with a vertical inner side, dump the earth on the inside to increase the height by a couple of feet and build a smooth wall against the inside face. Sounds simple but I don’t have a large country estate and a few million spare to build it. It would also need a gate house.
Great idea. :D

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Moronically simple way to ensure zombies don't reach your door.....during winter.

Use your garden hose to spray water on the front porch/walkway/strairs/etc. Water will freeze in sub-zero temps. Zombies with their unco-ordinated selves, will slip and fall and keep slipping and falling. Thus, they'll never be able to walk up to your door and pound it down.
It can always get worse.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:52 pm

DFWMTX wrote:Moronically simple way to ensure zombies don't reach your door.....during winter.

Use your garden hose to spray water on the front porch/walkway/strairs/etc. Water will freeze in sub-zero temps. Zombies with their unco-ordinated selves, will slip and fall and keep slipping and falling. Thus, they'll never be able to walk up to your door and pound it down.
Not sure if that idea holds water. It may prevent a single zombie from being able to break down a door or break through a wall. I don't think this would work if a group came en mass, which has to be assumed sooner or later.

For a single zombie, sure. For a single zombie you may as well take it out with whatever defensive weapons you have on hand.

Even though the ice thing may not work for a group, I bet it would be fun to watch.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:14 pm

zero11010 wrote:
Not sure if that idea holds water.
No it won't.... Because it will be ice!!!!!! Buh dum duhhhh.....

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:55 pm

DFWMTX wrote:Moronically simple way to ensure zombies don't reach your door.....during winter.

As if anything would freeze in the metroplex for more than five minutes. :roll:
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:50 pm

I always kinda liked the idea of an apartment over a garage, now I have yet another reason. Let me share with you some ideas I've had, one unappreciated visionary to another.

First lets tackle securing that garage. The simplest method is misdirection, with time, talent, & a small investment in materials you can repaint that garage door to look like just more brick. Find some of that textured spray paint that gives the feel of stonework & after laying down your mortar base layer all you need is to tape off a brick pattern before rattlecanning the hell out of that door. If you have the time & energy you could go one step further & paint a garage door around the corner on the bricks to really confuse attackers. Now if illusion isn't "secure" enough for you, you could beef up the garage door by placing a barrier of plywood & two by fours against the interior surface then bracing it with your cars bumper. As for the smaller walk through door, I say just brick it over. Bricks can be found on craigslist ahead of time & most of them could be mortared together ahead of time then put in place with a few extra bricks & mortar when needed.

Second let's secure those stairs so the undead don't make it to the front door. To do this you need to cut some 1/2" plywood the width of the stairs & in lengths that will reach from the top all the way to the bottom. When the dead rise up you'll simply screw the plywood down to the steps creating a simple slide. Coat the wood with something slippery, & enjoy hours of hilarity.

Third let's look at perimeter security, we want it to be of two parts active & passive. Your passive security should continue to work even when you are asleep or away. However as others have pointed out you don't want to injure people who may be coming to help you. So here's what you do, hit up yard sales & the like buying up all the cheap old rakes you can find. Once you have a good sized collection of rakes you're going to paint them bright fluorescent colors & secure fist sized rocks to the end of the handles. See where this is going? When the dead rise up you'll grab a arm load of rakes & start scattering them around the property with the teeth pointing up just waiting to smack that Johnson kid's reanimated corpse between the eyes.
Now for the active part of your security your going to keep an eye out at all those garage sales for croquet & billiard balls, maybe even put an ad on craigslist. These balls coupled with a launcher (muscle powered or otherwise) can deliver a nasty smack to the head at a distance & create a tripping/stumbling hazard laying on the ground. Between zombies having balls roll under their feet & rake handles flying up out of the grass whacking them you should at least be entertained if not safe.

Fourth let's think about supply runs or escape. I have two words for you, ZIP LINES! With a little ingenuity & a roll of steel cable there's no reason you can't have multiple routes in & out without having to touch the ground. Shoot with a little planning & some luck there's no reason you can't travel from roof top to roof top all over town. Since you're hitting all those garage sales anyway you might as well keep an eye open for pulleys & handle bars off of bicycles, you'll want to have multiples. Oh & maybe talk a heavier friend into testing each zip line for you.

Glad I could help. 8-)
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:13 am

jlc87 wrote:Tell me which RV looks the best and most durable. :mrgreen:
Toyota troopy.

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:09 pm

wamba wrote:I always kinda liked the idea of an apartment over a garage, now I have yet another reason. Let me share with you some ideas I've had, one unappreciated visionary to another.

First lets tackle securing that garage. The simplest method is misdirection, with time, talent, & a small investment in materials you can repaint that garage door to look like just more brick. Find some of that textured spray paint that gives the feel of stonework & after laying down your mortar base layer all you need is to tape off a brick pattern before rattlecanning the hell out of that door. If you have the time & energy you could go one step further & paint a garage door around the corner on the bricks to really confuse attackers. Now if illusion isn't "secure" enough for you, you could beef up the garage door by placing a barrier of plywood & two by fours against the interior surface then bracing it with your cars bumper. As for the smaller walk through door, I say just brick it over. Bricks can be found on craigslist ahead of time & most of them could be mortared together ahead of time then put in place with a few extra bricks & mortar when needed.

Second let's secure those stairs so the undead don't make it to the front door. To do this you need to cut some 1/2" plywood the width of the stairs & in lengths that will reach from the top all the way to the bottom. When the dead rise up you'll simply screw the plywood down to the steps creating a simple slide. Coat the wood with something slippery, & enjoy hours of hilarity.

Third let's look at perimeter security, we want it to be of two parts active & passive. Your passive security should continue to work even when you are asleep or away. However as others have pointed out you don't want to injure people who may be coming to help you. So here's what you do, hit up yard sales & the like buying up all the cheap old rakes you can find. Once you have a good sized collection of rakes you're going to paint them bright fluorescent colors & secure fist sized rocks to the end of the handles. See where this is going? When the dead rise up you'll grab a arm load of rakes & start scattering them around the property with the teeth pointing up just waiting to smack that Johnson kid's reanimated corpse between the eyes.
Now for the active part of your security your going to keep an eye out at all those garage sales for croquet & billiard balls, maybe even put an ad on craigslist. These balls coupled with a launcher (muscle powered or otherwise) can deliver a nasty smack to the head at a distance & create a tripping/stumbling hazard laying on the ground. Between zombies having balls roll under their feet & rake handles flying up out of the grass whacking them you should at least be entertained if not safe.

Fourth let's think about supply runs or escape. I have two words for you, ZIP LINES! With a little ingenuity & a roll of steel cable there's no reason you can't have multiple routes in & out without having to touch the ground. Shoot with a little planning & some luck there's no reason you can't travel from roof top to roof top all over town. Since you're hitting all those garage sales anyway you might as well keep an eye open for pulleys & handle bars off of bicycles, you'll want to have multiples. Oh & maybe talk a heavier friend into testing each zip line for you.

Glad I could help. 8-)
You did, thanks. :mrgreen:

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:09 pm

drop bear wrote:
jlc87 wrote:Tell me which RV looks the best and most durable. :mrgreen:
Toyota troopy.
Haha. Or a koopa troopa from Super Mario. :awesome:

jlc87

Post by jlc87 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:10 pm