It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zombie Handgun?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:30 pm 

Looking for the best zombie handgun thats practical and I can stock large amounts of ammo for. Found this video but dont know what to think of this guy. http://stories.madcards.com/1256/395371 ... pseHandgun

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Zombie Handgun?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:12 pm 

batlhardened wrote:
Looking for the best zombie handgun thats practical and I can stock large amounts of ammo for. Found this video but dont know what to think of this guy. http://stories.madcards.com/1256/395371 ... pseHandgun

Welcome to the forums. I think this should go in zombie combat tactics section.

I embedded the video to make it easier for others:

Your main question has been handled in lots of other threads.

I like Colin's channel a lot, the five-seven is absolutely not "the best." It would work (just like almost anything else would work). If you decided to stockpile ammo and parts and all of that it may work just fine for you ... until you need to pack up and leave your house. Once you leave your fortified area you're basically never going to see anything specifically made for this thing after society has fallen (Colin eludes to this at the end of his vid).

Ammo:
The 5.7x28 ammo is much more expensive than a lot of other offerings.
A quick search online shows that the 5.7x28 ammo is selling for about $310 for packs of 500 rounds ($0.62 per round). I see packs of 50 selling for $19.94. The same site is selling 9mm for $82.64 for a pack of 500 rounds ($0.16 per round), and packs of 50 selling for $11.97. The same site is also selling 22LR for $49.99 for a pack of 500 rounds ($0.09 per round). The same site is selling .45ACP boxes of 1000 rounds for $439.95 ($0.43 per round).

Very few of these are owned in the US. You're not likely to find a lot of the ammo in stores. You're not likely to find other five-seven owners to share ammo or parts with.

Magazines:
These can fail over time. Will you have enough to last you the rest of your lifetime? After society collapses your chances of seeing another one pretty much shrink to zero. You do have something working for you, your life expectancy drops pretty severely in this situation, so one magazine may last the rest of your lifetime with no problems!

Power:
Yep, the round has plenty of power to penetrate the human skull.

Weight per round:
The weight per round of the 5.7x28 ammo is great. This will make it easier to make the ammo portable once you are forced to leave your fortified location.

The biggest factor here will be your accuracy. Based on your question I'm going to assume you're new to firearms (no offense meant, just trying to make sure I'm writing for my audience).
* Go to a shooting range with gun rentals.
* Try out 5 or 10 different pistols on the range. Make sure to try different calibers. Make sure to try different brands. As a new shooter you may need to fire at least 10 rounds with a pistol before you can start to get a feel for it.
* Buy one you like.
* Practice, get decent and that pistol will become ideal (for you).

You're likely to hear "you should buy X gun!" There is no such thing as "the best" gun, any more than you can say which is "the best" car. Try common offerings (most rental places tend to only rent the common offerings) and make your decision yourself based on what feels right to you.

Don't forget that you're shooting at a target (the brain) that is roughly the size of an index card. If you can't reliably hit an index card you're dead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:30 pm 

Pretty much what zero11010 said.

In other words, the best zombie handgun is the one that you can shoot accurately with and that you will carry regularly. Lots of people will tell you lots of things about what handgun they think you need to buy. Don't listen to them. Buying a gun is a lot like buying shoes; you have to try several before you find one that fits you well. There's no point in buying a Desert Eagle that you leave at home and never practice with if you can drive tacks with a .38 snubby that is comfortable to carry and shoot.

Why don't you head on over to the Introductions section and say hello?

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:15 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

batlhardened wrote:

Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance please go by the in the introduction thread and introduce yourself.

I will echo the excellent advice of Townada and zero11010 and add one more thing. The "best" firearm is one that you have in your hand at the time you need it. Hopefully it is the one with which you have practiced enough with so you can consistently hit a target. :D

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:40 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Best Handgun for Zombies?? I didn't know zombies could use handguns!!!! LOL ROFL LMAO HAHA

Anyways, I watched that video a few days ago, and thought he had good points if one was truly banking on the living dead to walk the earth, but I also think "zombie handgun" is a very personal choice... just like underwear or favorite slow jam.

I think a lot depends on an individual's (wait for it.....nutnfancy) "philosophy of use", or how a person values certain features. (side note: I think scrounging for ammo in the wasteland is a dumb argument, if you don't have it before the ZPAW, you probably won't find it after)

Many people like Berettas and Glocks for track record, hicap mag availability, parts, and commonality
Others may like a .22 for weight, ammo, controllability, and noise
And others may like a .500 revolver for reliability, power, flashiness, and ability to use as a melee weapon.

Just depends on what you value. For me, I think a nice 8-shot .357 shooting .38 specials and a high cap 9mm are hard to beat as a handgun duo.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:25 am 
BANNED

The best one is the one you make.
Firstly get a large enough handgun with a high ammunition capacity, attach knuckle dusters to the grips of the pistol, equip a blade running down underneath the pistol for the use of killing people if needed as well as a ball bearing like blunt sphere by the pistols ammunition clips which would easily with a low surface area inflict damage to the skull and from there you have a melee based pistol.
personally I would suggest the use of a more expensive but brilliant rifle such as the m16a4 or Winchester rifle.

Against a zombie of sorts assume that it feels no pain and the only method of killing it is brain damage. Killing the zombie will be easy as its easier than killing a regular person in theory. A melee weapon is much better than a fire arm as zombies will be attracted to the sound of the gun shots so a melee weapon is much better than a fire arm.

I would recommend the use of a blunt weapon as its much faster to use than a bladed weapon and is less likely to break.
The lethality of a fire arm is always great to have but you need a method for the straggling zombies in your path that's silent and would not alert the other zombies not far in the streets and alleyways.

remember that you don't exactly want blood on you mas it runs the possibility of contagion so in my opinion its much better to just get to a safe location quickly rather than stay inland. Personally I would just get a boat and travel to somewhere like Iceland, Hawaii, Japan or the UK, this is dependent on if these areas are affected or not of course ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:55 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I am going to move this to zombie combat tactics. :D

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:42 pm 

aEpicAssassink wrote:
The best one is the one you make.

Firstly get a large enough handgun (nebulous. what is large enough?) with a high ammunition capacity (nebulous, what is high ammo capacity?)

attach knuckle dusters to the grips of the pistol (heavy),
equip a blade running down underneath the pistol for the use of killing people if needed (heavy)
as well as a ball bearing like blunt sphere by the pistols ammunition clips which would easily with a low surface area inflict damage to the skull and from there you have a melee based pistol. (a pistol has a magazine, a school girl has a clip in her hair. the two words are not the synonymous. How would you add a sphere on the pistol, by the magazine and still eject a mag? You really want to add a lot of weight to a pistol. most heavy pistol users really do a lot to make sure they're using a relatively light weight gun and 34oz is considered heavy - add all of that metal and you may double the weight of the gun, that's going to be bad for you ... and any holster you may find, because if you mod a gun like this you're going to also have to craft a holster yourself or you gun will be almost useless unless it's currently in your hand)

personally I would suggest the use of a more expensive but brilliant rifle such as the m16a4 or Winchester rifle. (I'll leave you alone here and not question why you like the M16 over the M4 or a much easier to find AR15, or why you're talking about rifles and carbines in a handgun post, or which winchester rifle, specifically, you're talking about)

Against a zombie of sorts assume that it feels no pain and the only method of killing it is brain damage. Killing the zombie will be easy as its easier than killing a regular person in theory. (people are frail and fragile and easy to kill/damage. case in point: how many zombies die by choking on dinner? a zombie kill requires precision, and that's difficult.) A melee weapon is much better than a fire arm as zombies will be attracted to the sound of the gun shots so a melee weapon is much better than a fire arm.

I would recommend the use of a blunt weapon as its much faster to use than a bladed weapon and is less likely to break. (this is nebulous. how is a blunt weapon faster to use than a bladed weapon? I'm pretty quick with a knife, how quick are you with a 10 pound sledge hammer? I know that isn't the example you have in mind, but you need to be more specific. Also, how is an axe made of a solid piece of metal (like an Estwing) more likely to break than a baseball bat which players break in baseball games regularly? Again, I don't imagine this is the example you have in mind, but you're being too general.)
The lethality of a fire arm is always great to have but you need a method for the straggling zombies in your path that's silent and would not alert the other zombies not far in the streets and alleyways. (your enthusiasm is awesome, but the question at hand isn't about what the best weapon is, or what the best tactics are. even if X melee weapon is agreed on by everyone on the planet as the best melee weapon to use against a zombie, a handgun does have its place)

remember that you don't exactly want blood on you mas it runs the possibility of contagion (you may want to take your time with your posts. I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. I think you're trying to say that combat with zombies may increase your risk of infection, but I'm not sure what "...blood on you mas it runs the possibility of contagion" means) so in my opinion its much better to just get to a safe location quickly rather than stay inland. Personally I would just get a boat and travel to somewhere like Iceland, Hawaii, Japan or the UK, this is dependent on if these areas are affected or not of course ;) (the topic here wasn't tactics, just weapon selection. but your plan to go to "an island" isn't very well thought out yet. For example Japan has over 800 people per square mile of land (the US has 1/10th that). I'm not going to go into tactics further because that isn't the topic at hand. You're welcome to post your thoughts on this other topic in a different thread though!)