Why Firearms Commonality is Important

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: Why Firearms Commonality is Important

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:20 pm

That covers all 6 (5.56 and .223 are two of the 6) of the top selling ammo's in the USA, helping to minimize the challenge of finding compatible ammo.
Just curious. Where did you find this list of top selling ammo?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:14 pm

I see a high probability of this AR-15 armed team being overrun by AK armed adversaries after their ARs all jam. But hey, at least they'll have commonality with their clubs….

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:56 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:I see a high probability of this AR-15 armed team being overrun by AK armed adversaries after their ARs all jam. But hey, at least they'll have commonality with their clubs….
How high?
Shall be my brother

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:17 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:I see a high probability of this AR-15 armed team being overrun by AK armed adversaries after their ARs all jam. But hey, at least they'll have commonality with their clubs….
Where do people get this shit?

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:40 pm

There is some serious entertainment value here, sorta like left shark.
WWSD?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:11 pm

Stercutus wrote:
That covers all 6 (5.56 and .223 are two of the 6) of the top selling ammo's in the USA, helping to minimize the challenge of finding compatible ammo.
I could be full of crap, but it seems to me North American Rifleman, and sometimes other publications, come out with "top 5/10 most popular rifle rounds in America" or "...pistol rounds in America." The one article I think I remember reading was based on sales volume, IIRC.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

tonydedo25

Post by tonydedo25 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 pm

How about a more practical reason: For whatever reason, you need to reach for your firearm. You're in a hurry, you're probably panicked, lighting conditions may not be great. This is not a good time to play, "Which ammo goes with which magazine goes with which firearm?" You need to know the gun, know the location, know the condition.

Too many preppers make the mistake of confusing their hobby (gun collection) with their duty (preparation and self defense). This isn't a video game where you hit the "A button" to toggle between a small arsenal.

A man only needs one or two guns for home and personal defense - a handgun for CCW and an optional long gun for home defense. The gun(s) should always be cleaned and in good working order, and stored in the same location in the same condition. Mags should always be loaded, ammo should always be stocked. Backup or redundant guns should be the same model and/or utilize the same caliber and same magazines.

All other hobby guns and ammo should be locked and unloaded and stored separately.

arentol

Post by arentol » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:24 am

woodsghost wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
I could be full of crap, but it seems to me North American Rifleman, and sometimes other publications, come out with "top 5/10 most popular rifle rounds in America" or "...pistol rounds in America." The one article I think I remember reading was based on sales volume, IIRC.
I just Googled something like "Ammo sales USA" or something similar. I think the results were for 2013, and after looking at it quickly again I realize it may have been specific to a specific ammo wholesaler, so perhaps it wasn't the most reliable information. But if those (.22lr, 5.56, .223, 9mm, .45, and .40S&W) aren't the top 6 they still definitely have to all be in the top 10.

arentol

Post by arentol » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:32 am

tonydedo25 wrote:How about a more practical reason: For whatever reason, you need to reach for your firearm. You're in a hurry, you're probably panicked, lighting conditions may not be great. This is not a good time to play, "Which ammo goes with which magazine goes with which firearm?" You need to know the gun, know the location, know the condition.

Too many preppers make the mistake of confusing their hobby (gun collection) with their duty (preparation and self defense). This isn't a video game where you hit the "A button" to toggle between a small arsenal.

A man only needs one or two guns for home and personal defense - a handgun for CCW and an optional long gun for home defense. The gun(s) should always be cleaned and in good working order, and stored in the same location in the same condition. Mags should always be loaded, ammo should always be stocked. Backup or redundant guns should be the same model and/or utilize the same caliber and same magazines.

All other hobby guns and ammo should be locked and unloaded and stored separately.
I don't see how what a specific individual does only for himself is relevant to this topic, which is about Firearm Commonality for planned squads in a potential PAW.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:24 am

AS556 wrote:
Where do people get this shit?
If we are talking about bad rifle stereotypes, The AR team will have plenty of time to escape when their rifles jam, since the AK team will need to get within 50 yards before they are even able to hit their intended targets. :awesome:

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Here is one such ammo popularity list
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/2013-ammo-stats/
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”