It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Zombie-Proof Cabin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:42 am
Posts: 5109
Location: Watching over Metropolis
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 123 times
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3HHebZ0zy

For the log cabin builders; should this really cost $112,000?

I'm not grokking the design. Too many blind spots and there's no real perimeter. As I'm seeing it, the 2nd floor roof is meant to provide cover and has all around firing ports. The two main entry points both face the same direction, and the secondary buildings they open into block visibility from the roof.

Image

See the zombie by the front door? A sniper on the roof may not get him and the zed gets to take a bite out of whoever answers the door.

I think it needs corner emplacements so a rifleman could fire at anything moving around the two walls the corner covers. Another small tower between the entrances for added protection. I also would not make the connectors between the buildings shorter than the external buildings, and definitely not place storage boxes near any of the walls.

Thoughts?

_________________
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:08 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 11571
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 616 times
Saw that a while back. Would not want to live there with all those zombies around. Concrete zombie fortress is way better. I need to get around to posting the design.

_________________
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Posts: 4451
Location: Central Ohio
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 54 times
I think you could do better. Layered defense would start with hedge rows 50yds out. Landscaping that funneled into only a couple ways in or out. etc, etc.

_________________
WWSD?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:14 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 2693
Location: USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
IMHO the designer of this redoubt could learn a thing or two from not-so-long-ago warfare... http://clements.umich.edu/exhibits/onli ... ometry.php

_________________
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:31 am 
Offline
* *

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 am
Posts: 275
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Anyone building that structure may want to consider the dangers of adding millennia-old fortification engineer zombies (or mummies, skeletons - whatever suits local burial practices) to the horde. I think that design would piss them off enough to make it happen.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:46 pm 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:04 pm
Posts: 102
Location: Brew City, USA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Can tell the designer hasn't grown anything in their lives. Do they really expect to produce any significant food crops in that little garden that looks like it will get maybe an hour or two of sun at high noon every day?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:47 pm 
Offline
* * * *

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Posts: 873
Location: Colorado
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 83 times
This may well have been designed by a zombie, or more likely, a committee of them.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:27 pm
Posts: 13
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
"What should we make our zombie cabin out of?"
"How about extremely flammable wood?"
"Great idea! But how do we defend it?"
"How about a flamethrower?"
"Brilliant!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:25 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:38 pm
Posts: 272
Location: DFW-ish Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 27 times
Why no peep holes in the doors? And no windows on the sides? And look, someone off-camera is shooting at the roof. Oops, maybe they just drew the tracers backwards.

In actuality, a grade school art project drawn by kids with no exposure to anything other than comic books and cartoons.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:28 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
So this site is what comes up when you google "zombie forums".

I have been reading threads and have been immensly interested in the topics! My wife and i have been talking about living off grid for quite some time now and of you have the money it can be completely rewarding. I am not of the opinion that you need other people beyond say 2, to help you in your off grid ventures, although it would be nice!

I have set goals for myself for raised vegetable gardens, green houses, and out buildings. Along with a wind generator and solar panels. You can also generate electricity through water power if you have a large enough creek. With wind power you can have a wind mill for all your grinding needs for flour and such along with spices and herbs which is really nice for bulk storage. Honestly once you get all of your goods canned its just a matter of maintaining. Just depends on how much you want to work i guess.


Maybe my idea of off grid living is different than you guys?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2377
Has thanked: 1245 times
Been thanked: 346 times
SonOfAres wrote:
So this site is what comes up when you google "zombie forums".

I have been reading threads and have been immensly interested in the topics! My wife and i have been talking about living off grid for quite some time now and of you have the money it can be completely rewarding. I am not of the opinion that you need other people beyond say 2, to help you in your off grid ventures, although it would be nice!

I have set goals for myself for raised vegetable gardens, green houses, and out buildings. Along with a wind generator and solar panels. You can also generate electricity through water power if you have a large enough creek. With wind power you can have a wind mill for all your grinding needs for flour and such along with spices and herbs which is really nice for bulk storage. Honestly once you get all of your goods canned its just a matter of maintaining. Just depends on how much you want to work i guess.


Maybe my idea of off grid living is different than you guys?


I think your definition fits pretty close. Welcome to the forum! If you like, you can always post in the "Introductions" section, talk more about what you do, and we can all give you a more proper welcome! Anyway, I think you will fit right in. See ya around!

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:28 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
woodsghost wrote:
SonOfAres wrote:
So this site is what comes up when you google "zombie forums".

I have been reading threads and have been immensly interested in the topics! My wife and i have been talking about living off grid for quite some time now and of you have the money it can be completely rewarding. I am not of the opinion that you need other people beyond say 2, to help you in your off grid ventures, although it would be nice!

I have set goals for myself for raised vegetable gardens, green houses, and out buildings. Along with a wind generator and solar panels. You can also generate electricity through water power if you have a large enough creek. With wind power you can have a wind mill for all your grinding needs for flour and such along with spices and herbs which is really nice for bulk storage. Honestly once you get all of your goods canned its just a matter of maintaining. Just depends on how much you want to work i guess.


Maybe my idea of off grid living is different than you guys?


I think your definition fits pretty close. Welcome to the forum! If you like, you can always post in the "Introductions" section, talk more about what you do, and we can all give you a more proper welcome! Anyway, I think you will fit right in. See ya around!


I will probably be around frequently! I have a lot of ideas i want to bounce off of you guys and also some cool videos. I do frequently suggest reaching for the sky and achieving your dreams. Anyways good posting!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:16 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15853
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 950 times
Been thanked: 507 times
I quote the article:

Quote:
Managing director Ross Moran, 29, said: 'We've had a few people from America interested who are taking it a bit literally'



The design is quite tongue in cheek.

BTW barbed wire and razor tape really only works if you can feel pain. If you cannot feel pain it is only effective as a barrier only to the extent that it's attachment points are strong enough to prevent movement through it.

One would assume that if zombies (ala Hollywood) emerged that a simple wire barrier (like you see in interstate medians) would be as effective as anything else.

I am going to move this to Zombie combat.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum


Forum Rules Link


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:41 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am
Posts: 586
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 10 times
but you guys fail to mention the most important feature, it comes with a 10 year Zombie proof guarantee. I figure if it will guarantee me that I will not be killed by zombies in the next 10 years it's easily worth the $112,000 dollars.

I guess that means that if it gets overrun by Zombies in the first 10 years they give you your money back. Of course that's assuming your alive to write to the manufacturer and that they haven't been eaten by the time your request for a refund gets to them.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:37 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 11571
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 616 times
tedbeau wrote:
but you guys fail to mention the most important feature, it comes with a 10 year Zombie proof guarantee. I figure if it will guarantee me that I will not be killed by zombies in the next 10 years it's easily worth the $112,000 dollars.

I guess that means that if it gets overrun by Zombies in the first 10 years they give you your money back. Of course that's assuming your alive to write to the manufacturer and that they haven't been eaten by the time your request for a refund gets to them.


That only means that you won't be killed by zombies at home. On the road you are on your own. If you are a Zombie just write the a note.

Image

_________________
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 pm 
Offline
*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:12 pm
Posts: 48
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time
tedbeau wrote:
but you guys fail to mention the most important feature, it comes with a 10 year Zombie proof guarantee. I figure if it will guarantee me that I will not be killed by zombies in the next 10 years it's easily worth the $112,000 dollars.

I guess that means that if it gets overrun by Zombies in the first 10 years they give you your money back. Of course that's assuming your alive to write to the manufacturer and that they haven't been eaten by the time your request for a refund gets to them.


They can sell this in addition to their suicide and volcano insurance.

_________________
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group