The Zombie-Proof Cabin

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
jor-el
* * * * *
Posts: 5145
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Watching over Metropolis

The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by jor-el » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3HHebZ0zy

For the log cabin builders; should this really cost $112,000?

I'm not grokking the design. Too many blind spots and there's no real perimeter. As I'm seeing it, the 2nd floor roof is meant to provide cover and has all around firing ports. The two main entry points both face the same direction, and the secondary buildings they open into block visibility from the roof.

Image

See the zombie by the front door? A sniper on the roof may not get him and the zed gets to take a bite out of whoever answers the door.

I think it needs corner emplacements so a rifleman could fire at anything moving around the two walls the corner covers. Another small tower between the entrances for added protection. I also would not make the connectors between the buildings shorter than the external buildings, and definitely not place storage boxes near any of the walls.

Thoughts?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12448
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Saw that a while back. Would not want to live there with all those zombies around. Concrete zombie fortress is way better. I need to get around to posting the design.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
Paladin1
* * * * *
Posts: 4451
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 pm

I think you could do better. Layered defense would start with hedge rows 50yds out. Landscaping that funneled into only a couple ways in or out. etc, etc.
WWSD?

User avatar
Impus
* * * * *
Posts: 2693
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by Impus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:14 pm

IMHO the designer of this redoubt could learn a thing or two from not-so-long-ago warfare... http://clements.umich.edu/exhibits/onli ... ometry.php
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

KGBrick
* *
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 am

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by KGBrick » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:31 am

Anyone building that structure may want to consider the dangers of adding millennia-old fortification engineer zombies (or mummies, skeletons - whatever suits local burial practices) to the horde. I think that design would piss them off enough to make it happen.

User avatar
Fu Shen
* *
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:04 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '78
DotD '84
Shaun of the Dead
Night of the Living Dorks
Among others
Location: Brew City, USA

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by Fu Shen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Can tell the designer hasn't grown anything in their lives. Do they really expect to produce any significant food crops in that little garden that looks like it will get maybe an hour or two of sun at high noon every day?

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:47 pm

This may well have been designed by a zombie, or more likely, a committee of them.

bertzie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by bertzie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:17 am

"What should we make our zombie cabin out of?"
"How about extremely flammable wood?"
"Great idea! But how do we defend it?"
"How about a flamethrower?"
"Brilliant!"

User avatar
ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:38 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints
Location: DFW-ish Texas

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by ShooterMike » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:25 am

Why no peep holes in the doors? And no windows on the sides? And look, someone off-camera is shooting at the roof. Oops, maybe they just drew the tracers backwards.

In actuality, a grade school art project drawn by kids with no exposure to anything other than comic books and cartoons.

SonOfAres
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by SonOfAres » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:07 pm

So this site is what comes up when you google "zombie forums".

I have been reading threads and have been immensly interested in the topics! My wife and i have been talking about living off grid for quite some time now and of you have the money it can be completely rewarding. I am not of the opinion that you need other people beyond say 2, to help you in your off grid ventures, although it would be nice!

I have set goals for myself for raised vegetable gardens, green houses, and out buildings. Along with a wind generator and solar panels. You can also generate electricity through water power if you have a large enough creek. With wind power you can have a wind mill for all your grinding needs for flour and such along with spices and herbs which is really nice for bulk storage. Honestly once you get all of your goods canned its just a matter of maintaining. Just depends on how much you want to work i guess.


Maybe my idea of off grid living is different than you guys?

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 pm

SonOfAres wrote:So this site is what comes up when you google "zombie forums".

I have been reading threads and have been immensly interested in the topics! My wife and i have been talking about living off grid for quite some time now and of you have the money it can be completely rewarding. I am not of the opinion that you need other people beyond say 2, to help you in your off grid ventures, although it would be nice!

I have set goals for myself for raised vegetable gardens, green houses, and out buildings. Along with a wind generator and solar panels. You can also generate electricity through water power if you have a large enough creek. With wind power you can have a wind mill for all your grinding needs for flour and such along with spices and herbs which is really nice for bulk storage. Honestly once you get all of your goods canned its just a matter of maintaining. Just depends on how much you want to work i guess.


Maybe my idea of off grid living is different than you guys?
I think your definition fits pretty close. Welcome to the forum! If you like, you can always post in the "Introductions" section, talk more about what you do, and we can all give you a more proper welcome! Anyway, I think you will fit right in. See ya around!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

SonOfAres
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by SonOfAres » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:04 pm

woodsghost wrote:
SonOfAres wrote:So this site is what comes up when you google "zombie forums".

I have been reading threads and have been immensly interested in the topics! My wife and i have been talking about living off grid for quite some time now and of you have the money it can be completely rewarding. I am not of the opinion that you need other people beyond say 2, to help you in your off grid ventures, although it would be nice!

I have set goals for myself for raised vegetable gardens, green houses, and out buildings. Along with a wind generator and solar panels. You can also generate electricity through water power if you have a large enough creek. With wind power you can have a wind mill for all your grinding needs for flour and such along with spices and herbs which is really nice for bulk storage. Honestly once you get all of your goods canned its just a matter of maintaining. Just depends on how much you want to work i guess.


Maybe my idea of off grid living is different than you guys?
I think your definition fits pretty close. Welcome to the forum! If you like, you can always post in the "Introductions" section, talk more about what you do, and we can all give you a more proper welcome! Anyway, I think you will fit right in. See ya around!
I will probably be around frequently! I have a lot of ideas i want to bounce off of you guys and also some cool videos. I do frequently suggest reaching for the sky and achieving your dreams. Anyways good posting!

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16326
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:16 pm

I quote the article:
Managing director Ross Moran, 29, said: 'We've had a few people from America interested who are taking it a bit literally'

The design is quite tongue in cheek.

BTW barbed wire and razor tape really only works if you can feel pain. If you cannot feel pain it is only effective as a barrier only to the extent that it's attachment points are strong enough to prevent movement through it.

One would assume that if zombies (ala Hollywood) emerged that a simple wire barrier (like you see in interstate medians) would be as effective as anything else.

I am going to move this to Zombie combat.

User avatar
tedbeau
* * *
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by tedbeau » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:41 am

but you guys fail to mention the most important feature, it comes with a 10 year Zombie proof guarantee. I figure if it will guarantee me that I will not be killed by zombies in the next 10 years it's easily worth the $112,000 dollars.

I guess that means that if it gets overrun by Zombies in the first 10 years they give you your money back. Of course that's assuming your alive to write to the manufacturer and that they haven't been eaten by the time your request for a refund gets to them.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12448
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:37 pm

tedbeau wrote:but you guys fail to mention the most important feature, it comes with a 10 year Zombie proof guarantee. I figure if it will guarantee me that I will not be killed by zombies in the next 10 years it's easily worth the $112,000 dollars.

I guess that means that if it gets overrun by Zombies in the first 10 years they give you your money back. Of course that's assuming your alive to write to the manufacturer and that they haven't been eaten by the time your request for a refund gets to them.
That only means that you won't be killed by zombies at home. On the road you are on your own. If you are a Zombie just write the a note.

Image
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
apocalypsepal
*
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead
Contact:

Re: The Zombie-Proof Cabin

Post by apocalypsepal » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 pm

tedbeau wrote:but you guys fail to mention the most important feature, it comes with a 10 year Zombie proof guarantee. I figure if it will guarantee me that I will not be killed by zombies in the next 10 years it's easily worth the $112,000 dollars.

I guess that means that if it gets overrun by Zombies in the first 10 years they give you your money back. Of course that's assuming your alive to write to the manufacturer and that they haven't been eaten by the time your request for a refund gets to them.
They can sell this in addition to their suicide and volcano insurance.
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal

Post Reply

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”