Self Stopping Car=Canned Snack for Zeds

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Self Stopping Car=Canned Snack for Zeds

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Just a thought, with self stopping cars becoming at least a little more common, wouldn't that just suck in a hypothetical zombie outbreak? Sure it would help if you're busy reloading, fighting off the zed in the back seat, or pointlessly arguing with your teammates like movies always do. But you come to a bridge with maybe 1-2 zeds, and now you either get trapped because you tried to speed past them (or ram them), you wait for the zeds to politely move out of the away, or you have to get out of the car and dispose of them. Obviously we don't really believe in a zombies, but I think it'd be neat to see that as a scene in a book or movie. Thoughts?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Self Stopping Car=Canned Snack for Zeds

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:58 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Obviously we don't really believe in a zombies, but I think it'd be neat to see that as a scene in a book or movie. Thoughts?
Get out! Go on shoo! ::waves stick wildly:: WE ALL believe in zombies! Don't you forget it!

Okay back to being serious here.... That would make for an awesome zombie comedy. The group gets done arguing they finally decide that they are going to ram the zombies. They start accelerating and.... The car comes to a stop just bumping the zombie enough to make it stumble but not fall. Hahahaha
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:10 pm

That would be frickin great to see! If I ever do have a part in writing a zombie story I'll definately have to make something like that a scene.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 am

Great idea (makes a note in MSword) :D

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 am

LOL...ManInBlack you have a good point there. I always felt that in real life, a true ZPAW with slow moving zombies would not last too long because you can simply get a bunch of heavy duty trucks and just mow them down. I just think about all those trash trucks, plow truck, utility trucks, construction vehicles, school buses, etc. in every city and even in small towns. That is not even including heavy vehicles in the private sector. Just drive around town, beep the horn to get the zombies attention and squish them by the boatload.

That said I also work in the insurance industry, basically seeing the trends that companies are moving towards to reduce liabilities. There are already using governors and GPS black boxes to keep driver within the speed limit and keeping them on course. Its just a matter of time where accident avoidance systems are commonplace, and if it saves companies and municipalities money, then they will install them in every vehicle.

There may come a time in a desperate situation where you may need to run over a bunch of walkers, or crash thru a light barricade and your car or truck will simply "not comply". Heck, even getting away from the Zpaw subject for a second, there may be times in a basic real life SHTF like a carjacking or a riot, where you need to drive thru people standing in front of your vehicle or crash thru a barricade. Something to think about for sure.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:15 am

Slow zeds are the perfect target for bringing back phalanx formations.

I'm psyched about self-stopping cars. As much as I bag on lane-splitting on a motorcycle in stopped traffic, it's likely no more dangerous than just stopping in traffic, given the attentiveness of the average driver. Some safety considerations can certainly disable or hinder a modern vehicle in extreme situations, but frankly, I'm willing to take that chance if it means a Series Of Unfortunate Events ends with an amberlamps ride in lieu of a closed-casket funeral. MAyhap it's selfish that I hope others will make this consideration.

That said, a lone zed likely would pose no issue. Go around it. Or perhapos, as all car hackers do eventually, figure out an emergency E&E "off switch" for autobraking if necessary, but for the love of His Noodliness leave the safety devices engaged unless the dead are walking the streets. If there's a horde, you're fucked anyway, as even small armorcars and semis will get bogged down by a pile of bodies.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 pm

I do think the movies have it wrong. Slow moving zombies would be quickly decimated and annihilated once people figured out what was happening. Fast moving aggressive ones like 28DL would be a real issue though.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:26 pm

Stercutus, I unfortunately have to disagree. I've seen how people react to disasters, I don't think it's the zeds that would do us in, I think it would be people's reactions.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Slow zeds are the perfect target for bringing back phalanx formations.

I'm psyched about self-stopping cars. As much as I bag on lane-splitting on a motorcycle in stopped traffic, it's likely no more dangerous than just stopping in traffic, given the attentiveness of the average driver. Some safety considerations can certainly disable or hinder a modern vehicle in extreme situations, but frankly, I'm willing to take that chance if it means a Series Of Unfortunate Events ends with an amberlamps ride in lieu of a closed-casket funeral. MAyhap it's selfish that I hope others will make this consideration.

That said, a lone zed likely would pose no issue. Go around it. Or perhapos, as all car hackers do eventually, figure out an emergency E&E "off switch" for autobraking if necessary, but for the love of His Noodliness leave the safety devices engaged unless the dead are walking the streets. If there's a horde, you're fucked anyway, as even small armorcars and semis will get bogged down by a pile of bodies.
At first I was totally against things like "self driving cars" until I thought of the helpful things they can do like drive a drunk home, or give someone who is elderly the chance to drive around without causing major accidents.

However I think you are right, doing some google searches I think most current accident avoidance systems has various sensitivity settings (audio beeping warning vs a full blown auto stop) and a on/off switch.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm

This discussion has turned far to serious :roll: I'm not against self driving/stopping car, I don't really care either way, I just thought it was interesting in a zombie outbreak context. :clap:

Edit: Disregard my comment, I don't want to stifle discussion and was just in a bad mood. Sorry guys.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:16 am

good point about the self stopping cars being useless to crash thru a gate to get away from danger. I also have a problem with "Traction control" in vehicles. I bought a jeep this past winter and the traction control is a pain. In snow the system apples the brakes to keep the wheels from spinning so if your in 4 wheel drive and on ice you can't move very fast because the brakes are applied. I just started turning off the traction control. At least they were smart enough to at least allow the driver to do that.

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:21 pm

I detect a business opportunity here. Sell after market kits for a "zombie kill switch" on the dash board
that will disable the self braking feature.

Illuminated toggle switch an important feature due to the prevalence of night time zombie attacks.

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”