Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Nightmare Machine
*
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Nightmare Machine » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:40 pm

The short answer is: anything that will do the job on a living human will do it on a zombie.

If you want hand-to-hand weapons, look to weapons from the ancient-classical-medieval times. They pretty much perfected handheld weapons to tear humans apart.

A good point was made above concerning weight. Not only do you not want to get tired swinging it, you don't want to get exhausted from carrying around your flanged mace of horrible death along with all the other shit you need. For a non-firearm loadout, a spear is probably the best choice. The previously mentioned Boar Spear type head would be ideal. Cold Steel makes a boar spear, or you can order some boar spear heads that aren't just stamped sheet metal and put them on the shaft of your choice, like this one:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... Spear+Head
Image

The other nice thing about a spear is that it is useful as a walking stick, water depth check for when you ford a stream, etc.

Anything other than a spear, IMO should do more than one thing. Most of your old weapons look a lot like tools because people most often just picked up a farm tool they had when they had to fight.
The least tool-like is the war hammer. A brutal weapon, cold steel makes a really good model for cheap. They can not only bash undead skulls, of spike through the skull, they demolish cement block structures, mutilate padlocks (both good traits for an urban bug out),as well as facilitate climbing and digging (with the spike), and any chore where you need to do a bit of pounding. Downside is they are fairly heavy, and are long (and you want them long).

The axe is another good choice, more specifically the larger tomahawks. I prefer the ones with a good hammer poll and a long edge.
A great example is a model that Viking Shield has in stock from time to time that they call the Type G:

Image

5" edge with a low-profile hammer poll. It's made by H&B forge, a very good outfit. I took at 30" sledgehammer handle and hefted the head like an axe (wedge, rather than friction fit), and shaped the handle to what I wanted. Cut it off to 25". This gives more reach and a LOT more power. The long edge allows you to impact with the beard side, and it will cut a long arch through the target, rather than just sink straight in and get stuck like a Cold Steel Trail hawk or something will. The hammer poll makes a good, sure not to stick, option.

Other than that, I'd pick the Cold Steel pipe hawk:

Image

Put it on a 30" war hammer haft, and cut it to desired length (for one this size 24" is nearly ideal. Get used to gripping it 1/3 of the way from the bottom, and feel how much better it balances than a short haft gripped the same distance from the head.

If you just really want a prybar, you can go with the rockhound's friend, the gad pry bar:

Image



For a firearms loadout, a spear is the best. That is, a military style rifle with a mounted bayonet. For pure weapons, the old cruciform bayonets like you see on Mosin-Nagants and Chinese SKS and Ak carbines are brutal. For having a bayonet that can be a good field knife as well, the AR rules.

The M9 is not too shabby:
Image

The OKC-3S is much better, and longer, and designed to be both a field knife and a bayonet:
Image

And for the Gucci tastes, there's the Zero Tolerance ZT-9:
Image
This city is afraid of me. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!", and I'll whisper "no."

mark9atq
* *
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by mark9atq » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:22 pm

If the zombies are shooting at me I'll need gun that can shoot further and more accurately.
Plenty to choose from.

Eventually when the ammo is gone it'll be spears, swords, and clubs. But you don't want
to be so burdened with heavy metal that you can't run away fast when needed.
The Zulu Iklwa seems a good compromise of lethal yet lightweight. 4ft long and almost
half its length is a double edged sword-like blade.

http://www.rrtraders.com/weapons/zulu-i ... lonial.htm

Mphx
*
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead.
Location: At your funeral.

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Mphx » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:35 am

Nightmare Machine wrote:The short answer is: anything that will do the job on a living human will do it on a zombie.

If you want hand-to-hand weapons, look to weapons from the ancient-classical-medieval times. They pretty much perfected handheld weapons to tear humans apart.

A good point was made above concerning weight. Not only do you not want to get tired swinging it, you don't want to get exhausted from carrying around your flanged mace of horrible death along with all the other shit you need. For a non-firearm loadout, a spear is probably the best choice. The previously mentioned Boar Spear type head would be ideal. Cold Steel makes a boar spear, or you can order some boar spear heads that aren't just stamped sheet metal and put them on the shaft of your choice, like this one:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... Spear+Head
Image

The other nice thing about a spear is that it is useful as a walking stick, water depth check for when you ford a stream, etc.

Anything other than a spear, IMO should do more than one thing. Most of your old weapons look a lot like tools because people most often just picked up a farm tool they had when they had to fight.
The least tool-like is the war hammer. A brutal weapon, cold steel makes a really good model for cheap. They can not only bash undead skulls, of spike through the skull, they demolish cement block structures, mutilate padlocks (both good traits for an urban bug out),as well as facilitate climbing and digging (with the spike), and any chore where you need to do a bit of pounding. Downside is they are fairly heavy, and are long (and you want them long).

The axe is another good choice, more specifically the larger tomahawks. I prefer the ones with a good hammer poll and a long edge.
A great example is a model that Viking Shield has in stock from time to time that they call the Type G:

Image

5" edge with a low-profile hammer poll. It's made by H&B forge, a very good outfit. I took at 30" sledgehammer handle and hefted the head like an axe (wedge, rather than friction fit), and shaped the handle to what I wanted. Cut it off to 25". This gives more reach and a LOT more power. The long edge allows you to impact with the beard side, and it will cut a long arch through the target, rather than just sink straight in and get stuck like a Cold Steel Trail hawk or something will. The hammer poll makes a good, sure not to stick, option.

Other than that, I'd pick the Cold Steel pipe hawk:

Image

Put it on a 30" war hammer haft, and cut it to desired length (for one this size 24" is nearly ideal. Get used to gripping it 1/3 of the way from the bottom, and feel how much better it balances than a short haft gripped the same distance from the head.

If you just really want a prybar, you can go with the rockhound's friend, the gad pry bar:

Image



For a firearms loadout, a spear is the best. That is, a military style rifle with a mounted bayonet. For pure weapons, the old cruciform bayonets like you see on Mosin-Nagants and Chinese SKS and Ak carbines are brutal. For having a bayonet that can be a good field knife as well, the AR rules.

The M9 is not too shabby:
Image

The OKC-3S is much better, and longer, and designed to be both a field knife and a bayonet:
Image

And for the Gucci tastes, there's the Zero Tolerance ZT-9:
Image
For a crowbar, is 18" a good length or will it put me within biting distance? Can I use it both when I am indoors and outdoors or is 24" better? Where do I find a synthetic shaft?
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

User avatar
Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3024
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland
Location: Kentucky

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Kelvar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:52 am

If we're just talking about fantasy, then I like this:
Image

If you want something more old school, then I like:
Image


However, human skulls are pretty thick. I don't think any melee weapon is a guaranteed one hit stopper. It always bugs me how easily they break skulls on The Walking Dead. Maybe there's something special about the virus that makes walkers' skulls flimsy.

For more practical purposes, I prefer this:
Image
(Colt 6920, Glock 19 as a backup)


However, if you have the money and the technology, then the best--and classiest--way is just to avoid them with this:
Image


In all seriousness, there is no one best weapon. Situation dictates. If we're talking zombies, then I think blunt weapons are better, because they can crush the skull and there's no risk of them getting stuck in the zombie. On the other hand, they do take some room to swing, so a piercing weapon is better there. I actually really like the pipe idea that raptor posted above.

There are many problems with melee weapons, though. You will get tired. You will eventually be overwhelmed if you're not constantly moving and using the environment to your advantage. They are slow--well, they're only as fast as your arm. They require you to be in dangerously close proximity to use. They expose you to the risk of being hit with blood or other fluids and possibly infected as a direct result. I'd at least wear goggles and a respirator/paper mask.

In real life, there is a reason firearms are favored by every military. If legal for you, then firearms + training is the way to go. Heck, even if we're still talking zombies. Just bring lots of ammo and lots of friends. 8-)
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

mark9atq
* *
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by mark9atq » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Just viewed an old movie that had more spears being raised in anger than I'd
ever want to see during a zombie apocalypse. Their design and use with shields
in a picket line are shown in detail by people that are the real deal.

Sanders of the River (1935)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanders_of_the_River

Lucky for us, the filmmakers took an unusual step towards authenticity by sending a film crew on a four-month voyage into remote areas of the African continent in 1935. (Probably Nigeria).
Awesome view into the past. The story is so-so and I didn't pay much attention.

Lots of pristine river views with monster crocs, war canoes, and lots and lots of spears.

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Granting first the following, that

a. Zombies, to date, remain hypothetical, and
b. If real, would best be handled by airstrikes, armor, artillery, etc, and
c. If engaged by individuals, firearms would be ideal,

Then a discussion of contact weapons for use against zombies may proceed meaningfully.

A review of and general familiarity of historical contact weapons is one good place to start. The stick, stone, club, axe, mace, hammer, sword, spear, pick, flail, and polearm have all been consodered the right tool for one job or another at various points in history. Pick one that seems likely, watch some HEMA/WMA videos, and practice some. You'll learn its strengths and weaknesses pretty quickly. Plus it's good exercise, which we all need.

Then pick another weapon, and repeat. Try then all. Life is long and, I would guess, you're on the younger end of it, so take the time to develop some different skills. It's fun, a good workout, and gets you away from the computer. Which we all need more of (time in meatspace).

After a period of infatuation with the Italian longsword, I'm becoming enamored of the katata lately. I used to be skeptical but I bought a Ronin and it's a great cutter.

But ultimately the weapon matters less than the wielder. Learn to fight with something, then map it to the tools you have on hand. I'm doing SCA fighting, and the skills map to all sorts of tools. The framing hammer others have mentioned is great. If you know polearms you can fight with a shovel or other yard tool. My Granfors is a grest woodcutting axe and I would totally trust it in a fight. Very light and handy.
Image

User avatar
roOism
* * * * *
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:18 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later
Location: Somewhere cold.

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by roOism » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:37 pm

This is my own flimsy opinion, but I don't think spears would that effective against your typical "zombie" unless you were in a formation with lots of spears and shields. First off, a wildly moving zombie head coming at you fast presents a difficult target to hit, especially if you're not practiced with it. Secondly, a spear is not a good weapon for holding several mindless zombies at bay with no thought of self preservation, you may be able to stab a few, but if more than a few are shambling at you, they're going to get past the pointy part pretty fast, and then the spear is pretty much useless. Spears are good at leaving gaping bloody wounds in body cavities, I don't think they're really meant for "headshots".

Best zombie weapon for me? Mine clearing vehicle.

http://www-pub.naz.edu:9000/~skeenan1/i ... rvardk.jpg
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 11934
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:12 pm

raptor wrote:For a Hollywood, Walking Dead Style zombie ...

Um excuse me I think the Walking Dead Docudrama made the strongest case for the Katana. Available on line everywhere for the low, low price of $150.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:For a Hollywood, Walking Dead Style zombie ...

Um excuse me I think the Walking Dead Docudrama made the strongest case for the Katana. Available on line everywhere for the low, low price of $150.
That's what I paid for my Ronin (or around there) and it's been awesome. That's for a blem; full price is higher.
Image

User avatar
Sen
* *
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Sen » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:23 pm

A lightsaber and a golden gun.

mark9atq
* *
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by mark9atq » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:27 am

Ignoring the mythical zombie and focusing on the real looter instead
I think a spear could save a lot of ammo when a real mob is rushing you.

When protecting your home or business, say you observe
a low number of looters without firearms about to enter your previously busted in doorway...

A few quick spear thrusts could wound and drive off these criminal looters.
Surprise from a hidden position, maybe stringing up tarps, etc, might pay off.

Ambush tactics etc. Watching a fellow looter walking into a dark doorway and being
stabbed in the guts by an 'iklwa' would make me run away seeking less dangerous
bootie.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 11934
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:43 am

I guess. I would not want to get so close to an angry mob.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

User avatar
itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies
Location: Broomfield, Colorado

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:44 am

mark9atq wrote:Ignoring the mythical zombie and focusing on the real looter instead
I think a spear could save a lot of ammo when a real mob is rushing you.

When protecting your home or business, say you observe
a low number of looters without firearms about to enter your previously busted in doorway...

A few quick spear thrusts could wound and drive off these criminal looters.
Surprise from a hidden position, maybe stringing up tarps, etc, might pay off.

Ambush tactics etc. Watching a fellow looter walking into a dark doorway and being
stabbed in the guts by an 'iklwa' would make me run away seeking less dangerous
bootie.
To kill a looter that you are sure enough will be there that you are waiting in ambush with a spear to skewer them amounts to premeditated murder. After you kill one the rest, even if crudely armed, will surround you and end you. Not to mention that a spear is useless when by yourself and a mob is rushing due to the limited confines of an interior. There are plenty of vids on youtube of individuals infuriating a mob and it never ends well. You'd be better off with a 12-gauge, but if a mob is invading your already breached home or business you should flee.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

User avatar
Armed Hippie
* * *
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:58 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: South Sweden

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Armed Hippie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Any sturdy and heavy stick or metal pipe 21"-26" long will do as long as you can grip it firmly and swing it correctly. Cheap too.
When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

mark9atq
* *
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by mark9atq » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Sorry I was not clear. Having guns and a spear could be better
than just guns. Spears never click on empty. Saves ammo.
Every situation is different and having options for self defense
is a good thing.

User avatar
Tommy Tinker
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:10 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1990), [Rec], Day of the Dead (1985), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Tommy Tinker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 am

A series of strong tripwires and a splitting maul.

When the zombies fall, swing the maul.

alessandro
* *
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:13 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by alessandro » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?
Depends if the zombies in question are slow or not.
If you can hold the position indefinitely, etc.
For example for close contact with one zombie a system as an aluminum basball bat I think it would be preferable respect a cutting system since is less likely to get stuck but unfortunately every type of weapon of a certain length can also be grasped so a combination with the addition of an small edged weapon, as a backup system, should be taken into account.
And ideally, for single zombie, a tandem of two people one with a baseball bat the other with and edged weapon, should be the more efficient and relatively safe way to terminate them.
But since unfortunately, are usually found in large groups, I would say an assault rifle with a 22 caliber could be ideal given that what counts is only the precision.
But given that the ammunition are not infinite and that exist the possibility that the weapon stuck, I think is necessary even backup weapons.
At a very close range pistol could be useful and even better can be used with a single hand with sufficient precision with a 22 caliber.
Essentially I don't think exist a single best weapon but it's necessary combine many of them.

Note:
While if you like "walk" in a zombie-infested street I think that there isn't anything better than a heavy track tank assuming that you have adequate fuel, avoid ending up in a dead end street, and you can reach a safe place to find supplies and sleep.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2102
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:55 am

The pen... it is mightier than thou sword
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

exvassalofnemesis
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by exvassalofnemesis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:21 pm

I am no great shot and even if I was I would still try to use the following method to avoid (worst case scenario) attempting zombie head shots while they are running at me while I am running away: Step 1: Acquire a double barrel 1911 and ammo. Step 2: Lace one side of the ammo filled clip with a paralysis serum or venom that is quick acting while the other clip's ammo is laced with poison so that when the bullets hit the paralysis kicks in asap and immobilizes the infected so the poison however many minutes later kicks in and kills the infected. Step 3: Aim gun at CENTER MASS. This is easier to hit than the head and the poison will kill the resurrected dead with its at best low level heartbeat and at worst working overtime (it is running after all) heartbeat. Step 4: Fire the weapon or die. Step 5: Repeat process until all are down. Step 6: Even if they are not dead yet and you have the equipment burn the bodies to ensure mosquitos or other animals do not become (if possible) infected to help slow the spread and *hopefully* work towards ending the infection. It is also possible for someone to fall and their tongue receive the infection, which as of right now will not guarantee the individual becoming infected despite many of the movies and television shows claiming the infection will guarantee "take". Just because someone is bitten or something doesn't mean kill them cause they guarantee will turn into the infected so buy a pair of handcuffs with a working key if you prefer those around you to not guarantee die.

Next: I am still trying to figure out what paralysis liquids and poisons to use. This is a community. If I get responses by those who are more educated than me as to what types there are like say venoms of certain snakes that can *hopefully* be bought online then we can work together on trying figure this new method I came up with. Also there is the matter of the issue how much to put on the bullet (needless to say the bullet will need to be big enough to contain the poison and paralysis liquid on the outside of it).

Last: A double barrel ar-15 will also work with this emerging method. This will be granting the defender a greater range in fire.

PS: Guns under marshal law will sometimes if not always (like in Hurricane Katrina) be taken away...Whether you manage to acquire a suitable gun for this method or you wield dual single barrel guns one for paralysis and the other for lethal poison or whatever... I would advise storing at least the ammo and the paralysis and poison liquids.

Edit: This is my first post so how about some constructive responses for the encouragement of my posting again my brilliant life saving ideas in the future. Secondly, I would advise the hand gun have what I call *if possible* a "double silence suppressor"...YES I know two separate suppressors are not workable with the gun so I figured if possible the middle area which should be able to operate as for both sides a thick enough area to suppress the sound at least partially as well as if it was for a single barrel gun...yes I know that two will make more noise than one that is not what I meant...nor can I think of a means of more competently expressing myself so...oh well...

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3557
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Back in the Pac Northwet

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:47 pm

If your serious about getting rid of your zombie problem then look for a quality minesweeper like the Armtrac 400
Image
Image

http://www.armtrac.net/Armtrac_400.php

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

zero11010
* * *
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by zero11010 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 pm

exvassalofnemesis wrote:I am no great shot and even if I was I would still try to use the following method to avoid (worst case scenario) attempting zombie head shots while they are running at me while I am running away: Step 1: Acquire a double barrel 1911 and ammo. Step 2: Lace one side of the ammo filled clip with a paralysis serum or venom that is quick acting while the other clip's ammo is laced with poison so that when the bullets hit the paralysis kicks in asap and immobilizes the infected so the poison however many minutes later kicks in and kills the infected. Step 3: Aim gun at CENTER MASS. This is easier to hit than the head and the poison will kill the resurrected dead with its at best low level heartbeat and at worst working overtime (it is running after all) heartbeat. Step 4: Fire the weapon or die. Step 5: Repeat process until all are down. Step 6: Even if they are not dead yet and you have the equipment burn the bodies to ensure mosquitos or other animals do not become (if possible) infected to help slow the spread and *hopefully* work towards ending the infection. It is also possible for someone to fall and their tongue receive the infection, which as of right now will not guarantee the individual becoming infected despite many of the movies and television shows claiming the infection will guarantee "take". Just because someone is bitten or something doesn't mean kill them cause they guarantee will turn into the infected so buy a pair of handcuffs with a working key if you prefer those around you to not guarantee die.

Next: I am still trying to figure out what paralysis liquids and poisons to use. This is a community. If I get responses by those who are more educated than me as to what types there are like say venoms of certain snakes that can *hopefully* be bought online then we can work together on trying figure this new method I came up with. Also there is the matter of the issue how much to put on the bullet (needless to say the bullet will need to be big enough to contain the poison and paralysis liquid on the outside of it).

Last: A double barrel ar-15 will also work with this emerging method. This will be granting the defender a greater range in fire.

PS: Guns under marshal law will sometimes if not always (like in Hurricane Katrina) be taken away...Whether you manage to acquire a suitable gun for this method or you wield dual single barrel guns one for paralysis and the other for lethal poison or whatever... I would advise storing at least the ammo and the paralysis and poison liquids.

Edit: This is my first post so how about some constructive responses for the encouragement of my posting again my brilliant life saving ideas in the future. Secondly, I would advise the hand gun have what I call *if possible* a "double silence suppressor"...YES I know two separate suppressors are not workable with the gun so I figured if possible the middle area which should be able to operate as for both sides a thick enough area to suppress the sound at least partially as well as if it was for a single barrel gun...yes I know that two will make more noise than one that is not what I meant...nor can I think of a means of more competently expressing myself so...oh well...

This seems highly theoretical/fiction based (even for a zombie conversation). I'm going to pose some questions about how you envision this playing out.

You're not a great shot, but your plan is to shoot at a moving target while you're moving backwards. Is this anything you've trained at?

Your step 1 is to acquire a double barrel 1911. This implies that a) you don't have one b) you haven't trained with one, this doesn't seem too unbelievable as it's a 4k-5k pistol. That seems like a difficult first step to pass by. Those are pretty rare guns. How many tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands do you think there are in the country of 300+ million people, and do you already know how you'll acquire one? (if your plan is to break any current laws, bringing that up will be a violation of forum rules). Do you know where you're going to get a holster that will fit the thing? It's going to be difficult to walk around with the thing in your hand 24/7, and it may not do you much good if this is hidden away in a bag somewhere.

Your step 2 is to use, from what I can tell, a combination of bullets that carry a fictitious paralysis agent, and bullets that carry a fictitious poison agent. Is this something you'll be able to produce yourself with information you already have? Meaning, will you be able to manufacture the poison yourself with knowledge you posses about chemistry? It sounds like you're talking about having an incredibly small supply of this fictitious ammo, and once it's gone, step 2 of your plan is broken. This leaves out the weight issue. The rounds are heavy. Each time you pull the trigger you burn through two rounds (hit or miss). This means each pound of weight of your (already heavy ammo) is half as many shots as the same weight in standard rounds with a single barreled version. Your reload times will take longer which is also a factor.

Step 2 is also assuming that both the paralysis agent and poison agent will work on a zombie. Zombie's are pretend, so I guess anything is possible. I don't know of any major zombie fiction where either paralysis or poison work on zombies.

I know you don't have any particular substances in mind to use for step 2. But, do you know of many paralytic or poisonous substances that are basically immediate?


All of that seems like a whole lot more work than just using a pistol and regular off the shelf bullets to destroy the brain. The 4k-5k pistol you're talking about will give you about 8 potential shots at a cost of double the weight of another other 1911 with an 8 shot capacity (this is not inconsequential), and also at the cost of longer reload times. A $500 glock and a 33 round mag sure sound appealing by comparison. I'd personally be very happy with any of the major "battle capable" offerings and a standard capacity (15+ mag).

I recognize that we're talking about zombies, so a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is expected and acceptable. But, if we're going to really go for it how about just making a fast acting cure and vaccine?

exvassalofnemesis
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by exvassalofnemesis » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Yeah I did a bit more research and it doesn't look like the poison will survive the heat...oh well...anyways...I guess I am screwed if there is a zombie outbreak...

zero11010
* * *
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by zero11010 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:11 pm

exvassalofnemesis wrote:Yeah I did a bit more research and it doesn't look like the poison will survive the heat...oh well...anyways...I guess I am screwed if there is a zombie outbreak...
See, now that plan sounds more feasible! (kidding kidding)

Rule 1 is cardio. It goes a long way.

User avatar
tookieblueeyes
* * *
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM
Location: Southeastern Colorado
Contact:

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by tookieblueeyes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Personally... I would choose the Fiskars X15 Axe. --- Lightweight, not as cumbersome as a full size axe, easy to huck around and effective enough for skull splitting and multitasking and you don't have to get up close to use it so you'd be out of bite range. That's my vote anyway.

Image
Learning is an ongoing process.

Post Reply

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”