Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mphx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead.

Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Mphx » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:25 pm

Okay guys so I keep getting posts that the crowbar isn't the ideal weapon. Well if it isn't then what is?
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Best weapon for the zombie apocalypse?

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Wiffle bat. Hands down. The most UL bat going, good reach and the yellow color is easy to find if put down in the grass. On the down side it has zero stopping power. But once yea get past that triffle failing it really is the best weapon for a zombie apocalypse. On a side note welcome to ZS. :D

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Look, you're asking what kind of weapon will work best on a foe that you will likely never face. It doesn't matter what we recommend, we're just a bunch of folks on the internet, we could be zombies for all you know, and in that case, our opinions are biased (a pool noodle is particularly lethal against the undead). Find something that you like the design of, fits you well, and then train with it. It doesn't matter if you have every tool/weapon under the sun at your disposal, if you don't train with it, you will not be effective with its use, you will tire quickly, and you won't know how to care for it. If your heart says crowbar, then buy a crowbar, but I'd recommend you set up a tire swing in the back yard and beat the snot out of it for 5, 10, 15 minutes solid every day.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Mphx wrote:Okay guys so I keep getting posts that the crowbar isn't the ideal weapon. Well if it isn't then what is?
Little advice. If you want a semi serious answer, post this topic in Zombie Combat Tactics. You could ask a mod to move it for you. Like the one that posted above. He may even give you a different answer than wiffle bat. Anything's possible. :D

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Wiffle bat. Hands down.
I disagree, I think the cricket bat was proven especially effective by Shaun of the Dead.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Wiffle bat … On the down side it has zero stopping power.
Au contraire:

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Axe.

Because you can use it to perform basic survival related stuff when you are not killing zombies.

It has a hammer to open locks or doors and a hook to reach for stuff you may not be able to reach yourself.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/article ... ng_axe.htm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0Bqht2sas

Raven927

Post by Raven927 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Something multi-purpose, like said crowbar, or a sturdy machete.
crypto wrote:The Ruger Hokey-Pokey

YOU PUT THE MAGAZINE IN
YOU TAKE THE MAGAZINE OUT
YOU TURN IT UPSIDE-DOWN AND THEN YOU SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT
YOU YELL SOME MOTHERFUCKERS THEN YOU BEAT THE SPRING BACK OUT
THATS-WHAT-ITS-ALL-ABOUT!

Sen

Post by Sen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:53 pm

Guns. After that I'd go either war hammer or mace.

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by spyderco monkey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:53 am

Melee: RMJ 18" Hawk

Firearms: Paired FN 57 and PS90

Crowd Control: V40 Mini Grenades

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 am

Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:01 pm

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:27 pm

For a Hollywood, Walking Dead Style zombie IMO a great hand weapon is a 4 to 5 ft long piece of 1/4 inch galvanized pipe. One end should be sharpened with a grinder or a saw with an angle cut. The other end should be screwed with the pipe threads, a circular pipe wall attachment. The pointed end should be plugged. The sharp end is to be used for cranium attacks while the other end can be used to push the zombie away and into a better position for a cranium attack. This device is cheap easy to find and make and since the pipe is hollow will be lighter and easier to wield and carry.

IMO CQB with a knife or crowbar for this type of zombie exposes you to too much to the contaminated body fluids and risks contamination to you. Distance is your friend. The pipe is not likely to get stuck since it is a cylinder and the length provides both distance and leverage.

I am also going to move this topic to Zombie Combat where it belongs. :wink:

Circular floor flange for bottom of pipe

Alternate base with a hammer attachment
Last edited by raptor on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mphx

Post by Mphx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:17 am

OK Guys, So here is my criteria for a good zombie-killin weapon.

1.Can either crush the brain in one blow or decapitate in said blow.
2.Needs little to no maintenance.
3.Doesn't require a lot of skill to use
4.Durable
5.Fast and clean
6.Allows you to keep a safe distance.

Guys, I've also been hearing a lot about tomahawks and why they do not allow you to keep a safe distance away from the zombie. Because their average length is 15" (same with a carpenter's hammer) it puts you within biting distance right? So my question is, will an 18" tomahawk or crowbar or the 19" trucker's friend keep you away from biting distance?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:09 am

The only thing that will keep you out of biting distance is a pair of running shoes.
If you're within 21 feet of an attacker, Zombie or otherwise, you're at a disadvantage. Pick a weapon, train with it. Crowbar, baseball bat, machete, axe, they all have advantages and disadvantages. You train to use the advantages to your benefit and train to minimize the disadvantages effects on you.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Faydee

Post by Faydee » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 am

i'm a big fan of the field hockey stick...

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:44 am

Everyone thinks big and heavy is the way to go, but swinging around something that is big and heavy for a few minutes on a bunch of zombies will get most people winded and tired, and that will get you killed if more zombies are coming

All you need is something that will break into the skull with minimal effort, and more importantly NOT GET STUCK. Blunt force requires weight and effort, so I am thinking the best weapon would be a spike or spear. Kind of like Team Prison doing fence duty on TWD you can just pierce the skull and move on to the next one. My ideal ZPAW weapons would be a reliable, accurate, semi auto rifle with a high capacity in some intermediate caliber like .223/5.56 or 5.54 with a foldable spike bayonet. Its something where I can shoot zombie at longer distance, but is not overkill and too much recoil.

After that ironically everything is out of the Cold Steel Catalog.

Last ditch, close quarters knife

I would also consider carrying a short sword. I like the Cold Steel 1917 cutlass. 25" blade, under 2lb and dark and tactical so you don't stand out if bad humans are looking for you.

If not any well made Japanese short Sword or Wakazashi sword will do. I think Full length Katana or European sword or saber is too long.

If there are no more bullets I would also get a Boar Spear, Boar spears have a stop guard at the end of the blade to prevent the charging Boar, person, or zombie from going thru the spear head, down the shaft and getting you. It also prevent the spear from going too deep and getting stuck. Cold Steel's guard is kind of small, the traditional ones are more pronounced. I would also consider cutting down the shaft by a foot to make it more maneuverable and easier to carry

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 am

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Wormjello

Post by Wormjello » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 am

I'm going with a 1,200 pound Palomino gelding named Hombre, a pair of .45 Ruger vaquero's, an 1892 lever action rifle and a Stoeger 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. Instead of thinking of a weapon think in terms of weapon system.
Lever 4 Ever!

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Mphx wrote:OK Guys, So here is my criteria for a good zombie-killin weapon ...
Mphx: I think you need to stop sweating crowbars and everything else you read in The Zombie Survival Guide. It sounds like what you really need is a SHTF plan.

Maybe post some of your ideas in Contingency Planning and let the rest of the forum give a critique. You might realize there's more important gear to seek advice about, such as food and water preps.

Even Mr. Brooks, in a recent speech about preparedness, said water filtration should be a top priority in a bug-out/bug-in scenario.

Kellikastle

Post by Kellikastle » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 pm

The question is do you want to go out and get the “best” weapon/tool for the job? Or just one that among other thing can get the job done. The crowbar is a good example. Yep it can smash a Zombie skull. However, when wet with any liquid, it easily can be lost, it is heavy and not balanced for hitting, it has a hook that will get stuck in the first thing you hit with it... but to pry something open it is great!! Get the right tools for the job! The job at hand will be stopping one or more Zombies so that they are no longer a threat to you and your loved ones. People here will mostly say “Get a gun” well um... YES that is a great tool for this job, but not the only tool available and for one reason or another not always practical. Where I live having a rifle and or shotgun in the trunk of your car or behind the seat of your truck, is totally OK, other places not at all ok.
I will start with NON FIREARMS.
For blunt force impact, I am a big fan of the Easton“Thunder Stick” it has the same weight and length as a baseball bat but is thin, so it delivers all the impact energy to a smaller area. They are quite capable of snapping a bone, a Zombie with its arms broken has a hard time grabbing at you and a broken knee keeps it from following you. If you get a solid head shot, that will pretty much shatter the skull of any Zombie. I have used mine as a jack handle for years, so it is always under the back seat.
A good longer blade is also a great tool for this job. I know lots of folks here don't like swords but I am positive if a Zombie is hacked with a good sword it will rapidly no longer be a threat. If you want a sword, get a GOOD one, then like any tool learn how to use it!! For budget and practicality here I would suggest a 18 inch machete with a knuckle guard and a Kukri as being a bit easier to carry and use. ( I am not a fan of the big Rambo knives with the saw teeth on them for the most part they will try to stay stuck in what ever you stick them in.) My exception would be a good machete with a saw back, it is a handy tool to have and if you are using the machete as a sword, hack don't stab. Gerber makes a good one in two lengths. I do have Cold Steel Carbon V Kukri on my web belt and a US GI 18 inch Machete on the side of my pack. (My GF has the Cold steel Jungle Machete on her pack) Axes and hatchets look cool and will do the job...but they also tend to get stuck if used to open a Zombie skull. Spears, Love em but in my opinion not exactly practical other than the Cold Steel “Assegai” or “Boar Spear” that have a long blade and can be used to not only stab but hack with.
As for weapons with range, Crossbows do have a place, as a quiet way to deal with a lone Zombie but not very piratical for a multiple Zombie encounter. A standard hunting bow is by far faster to reload and shoot than a crossbow, they do take more practice than a crossbow. I am amazed at how little attention the sling shot gets. A good quality store bought sling shot is very capable of putting a ball bearing or lead ball through a Zombie skull at a reasonable distance and can be modified to shoot an arrow. Also they are great to quietly hunt small game animals with, ya know all the grocery stores will be closed after Zday.
That all said, get a couple guns and spare mags, learn how to use them. Even practice with inexpensive BB guns. Hand gun practice can be done with targets under 10 feet away. (that is the range 90% of hand guns are used in the Pre-Zday world in self defense ) For rifle practice, the old Red Rider BB gun works fine and can be used indoors with proper precautions. If you can put 2 BBs in the same hole at 15 feet, you should be able to hit a Zombie at 100+ with out much problem.
As for what GUNS to get, I suggest a semi auto hand gun in .45 cal, a semi auto rifle .30 cal and a pump shotgun in 12 gauge. That is MY suggestion on Firearms, way way more has been said in other posts about what type of gun, what caliber, what brand, how many guns and so on. Please do your research and if there will be others with you after Zday, I strongly suggest to plan ahead and get matching guns or at least the same caliber guns.
Lastly... If you don't have any firearms yet, I would say first get either a 12 ga pump shotgun with at least 200 rounds of buck shot and 25 rounds of BB and 25 rounds of #4 (for hunting) . Or if concealing the fact you have a Zday gun in your daily life is an issue, a .357 magnum with 100 rounds of .357 hollow points. 100 rounds of .38 hollow points and 50 rounds of .357 Bird/small game shot shells (for hunting). As a starting point, that should take care of the Zombies and put food in you belly.

Mphx

Post by Mphx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Boondock wrote:
Mphx wrote:OK Guys, So here is my criteria for a good zombie-killin weapon ...
Mphx: I think you need to stop sweating crowbars and everything else you read in The Zombie Survival Guide. It sounds like what you really need is a SHTF plan.

Maybe post some of your ideas in Contingency Planning and let the rest of the forum give a critique. You might realize there's more important gear to seek advice about, such as food and water preps.

Even Mr. Brooks, in a recent speech about preparedness, said water filtration should be a top priority in a bug-out/bug-in scenario.
I have the life straw water filter, 12 water purification tablets and a katadyn filter.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 am

After seeing some tests and historical examples of wounds I am convinced that most any polearm will do very well in an area clear of obstructions and with a high ceiling. I would avoid ones with hooks. It seems to me that since the enemy is zombies training should be focused on endurance and accuracy. Flow drills might be a waste of time.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:13 am

RickOShea wrote:Image

That would suck if you are a "well endowed" woman.

Women join the Russian Military for the health benefits , our new axe AK rifle stocks now provided free breast reduction surgery.

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”