the difference between a tool and a weapon

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zhins
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, world war Z,

the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by zhins » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:02 pm

This is opinion I am in no way an expert, but I believe tools are designed to make a job easier (e.i. A machete chips brush and a crow bar is used to pry) with that thinking a weapon is a tool for killing. So all weapons are tools but not all tools are weapons. What makes a good tool is three simple things: reliability, effectiveness, and durability. So obviously you don't want an 8oz finish hammer to drive railroad spikes. A good weapon needs those things, an added bonus would be versatility. I know that I would rather have a weapon then a tool any day. More than that is the right tool for the job blades are for causing pain zombies don't feel so when you hack and hack at a zombie with your machete the may not even flinch but you are out of breath, and now you are z food
"Remember boys, spine is divine, but those knee's, they'll do just fine" (world war Z)

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6851
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Image

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3560
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Back in the Pac Northwet

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by ineffableone » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:28 pm

If your hacking at zombies with your machete and haven't dropped any, then you haven't a chance in Zpaw. Since we all know you have to destroy the brain to drop a zombie. So instead of hacking with your machete, try some head blows and have less zombies to deal with.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

zhins
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, world war Z,

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by zhins » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Exactly, but I'm not 100% a machete will deliver one hit one kill every time. As I was trying to say above it is a tool not a weapon I have weapons. Beyond that I say most any blade is second, well third choice
"Remember boys, spine is divine, but those knee's, they'll do just fine" (world war Z)

User avatar
claverhouse
* *
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:50 am
Location: Scottish Highlands

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by claverhouse » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:57 pm

The difference between a tool and a weapon?

Intent.
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

User avatar
Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3024
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland
Location: Kentucky

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Kelvar » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi, zhins! Welcome to the forums! I've moved this thread to Zombie Combat Tactics, because this is where we discuss weapons, tactics and everything else related to battling the undead.

If you have any questions, just let us know! 8-)

BTW, if you get a chance, why don't you stop by the "Introductions" part of our forums and tell us a little bit about yourself?
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

User avatar
Sworbeyegib
* * * * *
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 pm

claverhouse wrote:The difference between a tool and a weapon?

Intent.
This guy wins.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Image

User avatar
Mad Mike
* * *
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Mad Mike » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:57 pm

claverhouse wrote:The difference between a tool and a weapon?

Intent.


Yep - that's the BIG difference!!! :clap:

zhins
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, world war Z,

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by zhins » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:11 am

Yes that is true, intent does make that difference, a spoon could be a deadly weapon. I have some difficulty translating my thoughts into text.

I think what I was trying to say was what is the best tool for the job. The job in zombie survival being putting holes in zombie heads.
If given the option wouldn't you rather have a weapon specifically designed for that purpose, or something that can get the job done?
Last edited by zhins on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember boys, spine is divine, but those knee's, they'll do just fine" (world war Z)

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:34 am

zhins wrote:Yes that is true, intent does make that difference, a spoon could be a deadly weapon. I have some difficulty translating my thoughts into text.

I think what I was trying to say was the best tool for the job. The job in zombie survival being putting holes in zombie heads.
If given the option wouldn't you rather have a tool specifically designed for that purpose, or something that can do it?
Depends on how far I have to walk and how much I'm already carrying. If I'm carrying 30lb of shit already, I'm not going to pack another 5lb of melee weapon.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
azrael99
* * * * *
Posts: 2371
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)
Location: Saguenay,Quebec Canada

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by azrael99 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:50 am

claverhouse wrote:The difference between a tool and a weapon?

Intent.

the best resume ever made

because a screwdriver can be used as a weapon and a cutlass can be used as a machete.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

User avatar
apocalypsepal
*
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead
Contact:

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by apocalypsepal » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:12 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Image
#testify
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal

Close_enough
* * *
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Close_enough » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:07 pm

claverhouse wrote:The difference between a tool and a weapon?

Intent.
Both design intent and usage intent. A pistol is designed as a weapon, and really doesn't have any usage outside of killing. A screwdriver is designed as a tool and is generally used as one. But, it also makes for a capable stabbing weapon (usage).

User avatar
Mad Mike
* * *
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Mad Mike » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Close_enough wrote:
claverhouse wrote:The difference between a tool and a weapon?

Intent.
Both design intent and usage intent. A pistol is designed as a weapon, and really doesn't have any usage outside of killing. A screwdriver is designed as a tool and is generally used as one. But, it also makes for a capable stabbing weapon (usage).

Well then, I guess you have never heard of a target pistol? How about a Hammerli free pistol used in the Olypics. Or any of the single shot hunting pistols?

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:40 pm

All dogs eat meat.
All cats eat meat.
Therefore all cats are dogs but not all dogs are cats.

W.G.A.R.A. about the senseless and illogical?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

feanor
*
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:58 am

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by feanor » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:42 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:All dogs eat meat.
All cats eat meat.
Therefore all cats are dogs but not all dogs are cats.

W.G.A.R.A. about the senseless and illogical?
That logic is an invalid form while op's logic was not. Maybe you should take a look at syllogistic logic.

User avatar
Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC
Location: Ohio

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:04 pm

I am the weapon.

Anything in my possession is a tool.
Image

feanor
*
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:58 am

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by feanor » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Tobias05 wrote:I am the weapon.

Anything in my possession is a tool.
No, you're a tool and therefore anything in your possession is to be considered as dangerous as a weapon.
Sorry, just too good a setup to pass it up.

User avatar
Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC
Location: Ohio

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Tobias05 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:06 am

feanor wrote:
Tobias05 wrote:I am the weapon.

Anything in my possession is a tool.
No, you're a tool and therefore anything in your possession is to be considered as dangerous as a weapon.
Sorry, just too good a setup to pass it up.
:lol:

User avatar
Sworbeyegib
* * * * *
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:18 pm

feanor wrote:
Tobias05 wrote:I am the weapon.

Anything in my possession is a tool.
No, you're a tool and therefore anything in your possession is to be considered as dangerous as a weapon.
Sorry, just too good a setup to pass it up.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Image

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:28 am

feanor wrote: Maybe you should take a look at syllogistic logic.
Your indignation about proper premise usage in syllogistic logic is inconsiderable, flat and superficial.
Still, I ask, Who gives a rat’s ass?

You cannot even create a dieresis above your vowel and you expect me to believe you will escape from the Halls of Mandos, break the Simarils and revive the Two Trees? Get a clue.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

feanor
*
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:58 am

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by feanor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:06 am

Asymetryczna wrote:
feanor wrote: Maybe you should take a look at syllogistic logic.
Your indignation about proper premise usage in syllogistic logic is inconsiderable, flat and superficial.
Still, I ask, Who gives a rat’s ass?

You cannot even create a dieresis above your vowel and you expect me to believe you will escape from the Halls of Mandos, break the Simarils and revive the Two Trees? Get a clue.
I wasn't indignant, I only pointed it out so that you may stop using it.
I didn't bother trying to add it since half the time using in my name it fails to register on forums and what not.
But kudos for knowing the name.

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by Asymetryczna » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:03 pm

I think you have looked up a word you are not comfortable using. What if I am a risk manager and I cannot stop using proper logic? What if more than 3 lines are used and I refuse to accept one or any of the premises as valid? What if at least 4 of the 13 common fallacies used in logic preparation are present?

I believe tools (A) are designed to make a job easier (C)
a weapon (B) is a tool (A) for killing (D, as a sub product of C)
So all B are A but not all A are B.
A=C
B=A, if D is C
Ergo, some A=B and some A≠B if D=C

Show me where the truth is. I have to assume belief; then, I have to run many examples through a Monte Carlo simulator app in Excel. The data would tell me that sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong, proving nothing I do not already know. So, thanks?

Let us try it with cocaine and Santa:

I believe that Santa (A) was created to make children feel good. (C)
Cocaine (B) is a Santa if it gives users a feeling of euphoria. (D, as a sub product of C)
Thus, Santa may either be on cocaine or not be on cocaine if it makes the children feel good.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

feanor
*
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:58 am

Re: the difference between a tool and a weapon

Post by feanor » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:47 am

The example I objected to was not what you now try and make it look.
A does C.
B does C.
Therefore all B are A but not all A are B.
You're right, I do not know all the ins and outs of logic but the above is clearly messed up, nothing about the premises necessitates the conclusion.
Now, if you want to continue to try and obfuscate your initial mistake I suggest we take it to PMs as to not further derail the thread.

Locked

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”