Knives

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

clownman

Knives

Post by clownman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Clownman here! and here's something on my mind
i buy a lot of knives, im trying to build up a collection, and i buy a lot of nice looking pocket/folding knives. one thing ive notices is after a little while (depending on the knife) the blade will begin to jiggle a bit. before we get to the main thing id just like to ask, is there any way of fixing this ithout tightening to the blade to the point it wont open or close properly? is there a permanent solution?

now due to the discovery i made about blade jiggling ive come to a conclusion
in my opinion, a folding knive should only be used in an emergency when the zombies come. now ofcourse you can keep multiples on you because theyre compact but your primary knife should be fixed blade. tht wayyou can use it over and over with less worry about jiggling. how horrid would it be to have a jiggly knife then get cornered by a zombie, go to stab him then have yyour knife break. youd be pretty close to screwed if that was your only weapon. anyways thats all i got for now :) stay vigilant folks

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Re: Knives

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:53 am

For 99.9% of the applications of a knife in the real world, it will be used as a utility tool. Using a knife for defensive purposes should be a last resort, and adequate training should be had by the person wielding said blade.

A common saying goes... "In a knife fight, one person will be dripping, the other person will be gushing. Just hope that you are the one dripping."

As far as side to side "play" on folding blades goes. It really varies from make/model a lot. Paying for a quality blade will usually help in preventing the "wiggle". But it also has a lot do to with the use and abuse you may put your blade thru in day to day uses. Usually from prying or excessive lateral pressure applied to the flat of the blade.

Depending on how your knife is designed, there may be a small torx screw located near the pivot point that controls the tension. Some knives have them, some don't. For instance, my Ontario Rat 1 folder has been an incredibly reliable folding blade for me, but on occasion will need to be slightly re tightened up to prevent wiggle.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:49 am

Think you're buying cheap knives if they are all jiggling...Quality over quantity!

As you're talking about using knives on Zombies I'm going to move this to ZCT.

Also - this has to be the least descriptive thread title I have ever seen, I don't know if you were being lazy but more descriptive the better. Just "Knives" isn't helpful and you won't get as many responses...
Man is a beast of prey

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:47 am

Eh, I dunno. My Emerson CQC 13 would start jiggling some before I locktited it. This is a knife that doesn't suck. Maybe he just uses knives hard.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Blade play really is more common in less quality knives, bump up how much your spending and the fit and finish of the knife will be better. Less or no blade play. Get a good frame lock like a zt550 and you don't get blade play I've beat the hell out of mine and its just as tight as when I bought it. Same goes for my dpx hest, and Chris Reeve sebenza and umnuzman.
ZS#4545

N01

Post by N01 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 pm

clownman wrote:Clownman here! and here's something on my mind
i buy a lot of knives, im trying to build up a collection, and i buy a lot of nice looking pocket/folding knives. one thing ive notices is after a little while (depending on the knife) the blade will begin to jiggle a bit. before we get to the main thing id just like to ask, is there any way of fixing this ithout tightening to the blade to the point it wont open or close properly? is there a permanent solution?

now due to the discovery i made about blade jiggling ive come to a conclusion
in my opinion, a folding knive should only be used in an emergency when the zombies come. now ofcourse you can keep multiples on you because theyre compact but your primary knife should be fixed blade. tht wayyou can use it over and over with less worry about jiggling. how horrid would it be to have a jiggly knife then get cornered by a zombie, go to stab him then have yyour knife break. youd be pretty close to screwed if that was your only weapon. anyways thats all i got for now :) stay vigilant folks
Buy a good knife 8-)
I had the same problem until I bought my zero tolerance zt0350 it is a very good knife where you can trust on.
Bought it last year and mistreated it a lot in emergency situations but is never left me down

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”