Cornered in a Bunker

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RugbyFire
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, planet terror

Cornered in a Bunker

Post by RugbyFire » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:27 pm

It seems that a lot of advice when dealing with zombies suggests not to hole yourself down in a cave/bunker. What might be any down sides of opting to weather things out below surface?
oh shit... more Zombies

mantis

Re: Cornered in a Bunker

Post by mantis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:52 pm

RugbyFire wrote:It seems that a lot of advice when dealing with zombies suggests not to hole yourself down in a cave/bunker. What might be any down sides of opting to weather things out below surface?
If guess it depends. If you have a real and truly secure bunker that is well hidden and well stocked, you couldn't do much better for a place to hide out. On the other hand, if your bunker is compromised you are pretty much screwed unless you have some sort of secondary exit that remains secure. Bugging in - in a bunker or otherwise, is typically the survival strategy that most people plan to use unless they are presented with an untenable situation and are forced to leave. It makes the most sense because that is where you are most comfortable and most familiar and it's where all your stuff is. If you are forced to leave, you are forced to make some tough choices about what small minority of your belongings you take with you.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Underground non-professional engineered have greater risk of radon, other gases, liquid leaks, collapse, etc.

If your entrance has attracted too much attention, your emergency exit may not be far enough away. If you refuse entry to "normal" people who show up at your entrance, they may react vengefully and barricade your door trapping you. Similarly the vengeful may use your air & other utility openings against you.

C.A. Marshall

Post by C.A. Marshall » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Agreed, bunker only works if no one knows you are there. once people find out you're kind of trapped.

Citizen-Z

Post by Citizen-Z » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:55 am

I have discussed this with my wife on countless occasions and we are generally of the opinion that we should keep moving, avoid being bogged down. But we also understand that we won't be able to do it forever and will need to make a home eventually.

But for the initial fallout, keep moving and stay low.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:35 am

I think this clip sums up the downsides of such a plan rather clearly:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:32 am

Well, there are bunkers and then there are Bunkers.

http://weburbanist.com/2010/07/25/nucle ... silo-home/
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”