It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What percentage would you give your home on being able to withstand a zombie attack?
1. I give it 100%, we're impervious! ..... As well as delusional. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
2. I give it 80% or more, we're pretty well covered. 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
3. I give it at least 65%, not perfect but we have the bases covered. 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
4. I give it a 50/50% chance, could be better but it could be worse. 21%  21%  [ 14 ]
5. I give it 30%, I live on the ground floor with lots of windows and surrounded by idiots! 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
6. I give it 25%, I MIGHT have a chance of making it. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
7. I give it less than 20%, zombiefication is almost guaranteed! 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
8. I give it 10% or more but at that level its irrelevant, I'm doomed to wander the land as a meat puppet :( 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 68
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:13 pm 

Too many unsecurable windows. Not enough reinforcing material. I would die swiftly and wander my area on a recruiting spree

I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote:
You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

50/50. House is in a "L" with the short end able to be completely secured from the other. Very few large windows, but I have two, four panel sliding doors (hurricane rated, double pane) that lead to the lanai from each wing. Have a bathroom with zero acces that has an attic panel that is the last resort to hide hte kiddos or to get out quickly.

"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:56 pm 

I voted 50/50. My house is a little different. The house is a bi-level, the lower floor is actually 5 feet below the ground. This floor contains the master bedroom, a small bedroom we converted to a communications room (Computer room), the laundry room where our preps are also stored, and a R&R room (family room). The upper floor has the commons area, (living room) head (bathroom) two bedrooms and the mess hall (kitchen and dinning room).

All the windows on the lower level are 3 inches above the ground. When you are standing inside the windows are chest high at the bottom. This in effect makes the lower level a concrete block fox hole with gun ports. Against zombies as long as they are not smart enough to kick in the windows, or get on their hands and knees and crawl then they should not get in. The only ones that would be a threat would be ones that had their legs cut off, hips broken, or those that would be crawling for some reason before they turned, paraplegics, I guess? The upper level is accessed by three stairways. One off the deck in back, one inside the front door, which is a landing with stairs going down to the lower level, (7 steps) and up 6 steps to the upper level. I consider these stairs my "Fatal funnel". Anyone coming in the front door is going to be met by me at the top of the stairway with either my Glock or AK. Everyone knows its harder to fight up hill. the fairly narrow stair case only allows two zombies at a time up the stairs and I plan on piling up the bodies to at the bottom to prevent others from getting in while I reload.

The last set of stairs is through the garage. For some dumb reason when they built this house they did not include access from the attached garage into the house. You either had to go out the garage door, along the sidewalk to the front door, or out the small back door up the deck stairs and go into the kitchen door. One of the first things we did was add a door and stairs from the garage into the dining room. Since this door is between the garage and the living area fire code requires a fire resistant door. The door I installed is a solid core fiberglass door with a steel outer layer. I would guess the steel is about 1/8 thick. I would not think it would be bullet proof, but I bet it would take a while to get through it with an ax.

So in conclusion, the lower windows are walker proof, but not crawler proof. They allow some protection to the torso due to the fact that you are below ground and the lower walls are concrete block. The upper level has two fairly secure stairways. I would want some means of preventing access to the deck stairs. The back yards has a chain link fence that would stop a few walkers. It would only take me a few minutes to remove the deck stairs, which would mean the walkers would have to pull themselves up 5 feet onto the deck. I could also bobby trap the deck with trap doors that would drop them below the deck surface again, allowing me to take care of them when I had time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:01 pm 

fred.greek wrote:
Just babbling thoughts to toughen up the house…

For low vulnerable glass: Add decorative fake shutters, hung in a removable manner on some REALLY strong mounting points. As a hang in place window shield, how about something along the lines of a chain link fence gate. Pre-zombie apocalypse, the "gates" might be connected as a dog-run, fence around the garden, etc.?

Cool idea!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Second floor of an apartment building. The flight of stairs leading up to me is open air. Seal the door, and they can't get in, but I can't get out without going out a window or over the balcony. In any real SHTF situation I'm getting out of there and going to my parents farm.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:03 pm 

My basement sits halfway into the ground. All basement windows are barred and only face the two driveways bracketing my home. Ground floor windows sit 7 feet or so off the ground, so slow movers will need a boost up. Assuming I get advance warning about it, I can keep watch from the living room roof over the street. From that vantage point I can see up the street to the Cross Island Parkway/Jericho Turnpike cloverleaf, and south to the end of the block. Lara can cover the back yard from the second floor bathroom and Cir and Van can pick off anyone coming down the driveways from the second floor side windows.

No conventional home could provide 100% passive protection. An active defense will always be required.

I might have trouble with herds exceeding 5000 in number.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 am 

Tagging for later. Great thread quickly, I think we are toast.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:36 pm 

I live 7 miles from nearest town....the entire population of my county is only 10K and I'm several hours from nearest large town (Little Rock, AR and Springfield, MO are two closest cities)

We have a clear line of fire for 75 yards minimum, out to 1,200 yards in some directions.

Rock farmhouse...windows are high off the ground (over waist high from outside) so zombies couldnt easily climb in. Plus lots of materials (steel, tin, wood) to shutter them.

Metal and rock exterior...pretty resistant to any fire (in case zombies can use molatov cocktails)

Only two exterior doors...both steel, both easily barricaded.

We also have three outbuildings for overlapping fields of fire...one rock and two metal

The road into our place from town has a bridge that's a mile down from our place...could be easily blocked off to slow zombie travel. We're pretty isolated. And if we have to bug-out, my brother has a farm 8 miles away that's just as secure and even more isolated.

Honestly, it's pretty damn secure right now from simple mindless zombies....there wont be enough of them because of low population to make much of a dent. And I have a tractor to bury them after.

And with an hour or two of work with welder, cutting torch and tractor....could make this house invulnerable (to zombies) and I could string temporary barb-wire fences all over the yard to slow them down. Hell, see if electric fence does anything to hurt them :) works to keep cattle in...might keep zombies OUT.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:06 pm 

I would like to think that my house is pretty solid. I have food rations enough for about six months, as well as land and the means to grow food in perpetuity. I am building up an apiary, I have chickens and goats. Thinking about getting a cow or two.

My only issue is that I am surrounded by woods, which limits my viability, particularly at night. I have a bunch of kerosene standing lanterns that I plan on surrounding the lions share of my land with on dangerous nights.

Ammo and melee weapons are important. I have a few guns, but plan on getting more ammo. I also plan on working up a better knife collection. You never know how many you'll need.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:29 am 

Apartment half a floor up so we have a chance against slow, quick ones and we're dead. Steel security door is a plus. Low on weapons and a wife who asks me why I would want to survive teotwawki a clear minus.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:19 pm 

Quote:
... and a wife who asks me why I would want to survive teotwawki a clear minus.

No children in the household I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:44 pm 

The cabin we're building is on an island over 500 miles from any major cites. There are no roads within 3 miles of our home, so the only access is either by water (and the marine life would eat zed like hotcakes), or over very vertical terrain through heavy growth...in which we have an amazingly high number of very large bears (who would also eat zed like hotcakes).
No windows or doors on the "ground" floor, which is actually the basement, and only one set of wooden exterior stairs up to the wrap around covered porch.

So, for zed to come get us he has to travel 500 miles or more from civilization (I only have 150 "neighbors") , cross waters that are more than a few hundred feet deep with very strong currents and active wildlife, then avoid the land based predators while they moan and look 12 feet up at th only entrances to the interior of the home. While I poke them in the head with a pointy stick and prepare to use them for bait.

Not worried about Zed.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:05 pm 

jor-el wrote:
Quote:
... and a wife who asks me why I would want to survive teotwawki a clear minus.

No children in the household I guess.

You'd think so but no, 3 year old and another on the way.
I prep so she can make that choice when it's staring her in the face. I'm betting she'll find her self preservation is stronger than she thinks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:07 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Brick ranch house. If I could secure the sliding patio door, and the large front office window, I think we might hold out against a couple dozen at most.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:09 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I said 80%, but with a caveat that we'd need about 12 hours to finish securing it.

Two story insulated concrete form home, 8 inch thick reinforced concrete exterior walls, with the door frames bolted into the walls and steel entry doors. Breaching the walls would require heavy equipment, and I don't mean a Bobcat but more like a D3 or larger dozer and plenty of time. The windows, especially the ground floor ones, are the problem. I tried to take that weakness into account when building our pantry and shelving units (3), all are built with 2X4's and 5/8" OSB as the core and screwed together for easy disassembly so we can use the lumber to secure the windows later if needed. Also pre-cut some 5/8" OSB sheets to fit some specific windows, and are using those in the attic (as flooring across the rafters) for storage of lighter weight items that aren't affected by heat/cold like paper products, gauze, plastic bags/sheeting, soaps, extra clothing, etc.

If we were in hurricane country I might have bit the bullet and spent the money for roll-down hurricane shutters, but think our plan of disassembling the shelving is a reasonable (if slow) compromise. Our remoteness should buy us enough time to finish the job, I hope. Plenty of screws, bolts, concrete anchors, drill bits, miscellaneous hardware, and tools stored of course.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:17 am 

On the very edge of a small rural market town(low population), nearest town 10 miles away, clear visibility all the way around, only one road in-to a dead end- same road out again.
semi detached house, high fences all the way around, good field of fire, one door front, one door at rear, no access to rear without first going through the house.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:32 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

You should just put a sign outside that reads: Grumpy Viking. Of course, you run the risk of never having visitors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:37 am 

Asymetryczna wrote:
You should just put a sign outside that reads: Grumpy Viking. Of course, you run the risk of never having visitors.

suits me!!! :lol: I don't like people turning up unannounced.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:48 am 

I live on an acre with a separately fenced front and back yard (an open, flat area so things could be spotted fairly easily at long distances). The windows are all pretty high except for the ones over the porch so maybe it would take the zombies some effort to get inside if they were sucky climbers. I'm sure I'd be able to barricade them before anything reached the house. Luckily, I live on the outskirts of town so I would assume I had an idea that something strange was going on and there were attacks happening. I like to think that'd give me plenty of time to bug out if I had to and go to the mountains less than two minutes away or wherever I felt was safest at the time. Considering my location I could probably bug in! Not sure I'd risk that, though. It seems safer to get away from populated areas of any kind when zombies are involved.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:59 am 

I picked 20% (assuming slow zombies), we just bought a new home and space to entertain friends and family won out over zombie apocalypse durability. Lots of tall windows and glass in the doors front and back. No fencing around our yard or either neighbor to the sides.

Given a few hours notice I think I could bump our chances up to 50/50, with the lumber and tools on hand. I have 2x4s and particles board enough to get a good start on boarding up vulnerable doors and windows plus removing a few steps in the back would deny access to the deck and garage door (while letting us still escape that way). Like others we have shelves that could be repurposed and have looked at what furniture could be use to block doors, only one faces a wall allowing us to use it to brace our barricade (luckily it's also the most vulnerable).

If I had a couple of days and the neighbors were willing to pitch in I think we could have fighting chance as a neighborhood. Our section is bracketed by green space on three sides that has some nice terrain features from a defensive stance. A team of guys with chainsaws could turn some of these nice tall straight hardwoods into pretty decent barriers.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:41 am 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h?cm_vc=-10005

you could secure a lot of windows and doors with these

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:11 pm 

My house has all the safety and security that one would find in a tent. However my neighborhood... it could be fortified.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:33 pm 

Not Well

Just kidding, I have a lot of windows downstairs but my bedroom is upstairs with a narrow staircase the only entrance point. My problem would be my proximity to I-40 and Nashville.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:48 pm 
BANNED

well from all the movies zombies arn't very forceful so as long as you can board up windows it should be fine I think.