How would your home stand up in a zombie attack?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

What percentage would you give your home on being able to withstand a zombie attack?

1. I give it 100%, we're impervious! ..... As well as delusional.
4%
2. I give it 80% or more, we're pretty well covered.
19%
3. I give it at least 65%, not perfect but we have the bases covered.
19%
4. I give it a 50/50% chance, could be better but it could be worse.
21%
5. I give it 30%, I live on the ground floor with lots of windows and surrounded by idiots!
19%
6. I give it 25%, I MIGHT have a chance of making it.
7%
7. I give it less than 20%, zombiefication is almost guaranteed!
6%
8. I give it 10% or more but at that level its irrelevant, I'm doomed to wander the land as a meat puppet :(
4%

Total votes: 68

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

How would your home stand up in a zombie attack?

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:39 am

I was bored at work the other night and one of the books I brought with me was the Zombie Survival guide since I hadn't read it in years. Now I'm not endorsing nor a huge supporter of the book but the section on home defense had me thinking about my own place. Zombies being more fun to talk and hypothesize about than say, a home invasion, that's what I'm going to use. Take a while and look at your own home, its design and layout as well as location and general surroundings and give an objective assessment of how you think it would fare against a zombie event. Now you can include your preps if you like but I'm really talking about the structure its self so keep that in mind.

As for me, I live in a 1,200sq ft apartment with our double garage downstairs and all the living space on the second floor. The stairway is wood and would be easily deconstructed or destroyed if necessary to eliminate any access to the second floor. I have a couple cases of water downstairs but all the rest of our food and water supplies are up here. The house is surrounded by 15' chain link fence that the owner put in years ago to try and keep out critters from the woods DIRECTLY behind the house (not that it stops them much). Most of the yard and driveway is also bordered with fence but not all of it and the street out front is one of the main thoroughfares through the city and has heavy traffic during the day. This is compounded by the gas station directly across the street which is also at a stop light.

Physically, given the design of the house I would give us a fair to good chance of surviving a zombie outbreak. This would be reduced if they were faster/smarter zombies and of course, our proximity to the high traffic would mean that people looking for supplies would have a better chance of trying for our place. Luckily we are directly adjacent to a fairly well off neighborhood and I expect that they would be more desirable targets for looters. We are only six blocks from the demarcation line between what could be considered as one of the "bad" parts of town where much of the crime and shootings take place. This isn't very good, as we are well within walking distance from many who may not have the means or foresight to stock supplies in case of emergencies despite getting hit by multiple hurricanes every year. Power outages are common during these times and can last for more than a week but still, most people act as if its never happened before and freak out having not a clue what they should do. This would be magnified by a zombie outbreak and the living human element would have me the most worried in such an event.

Our windows give us an excellent view all around the house and the driveway is really the only approach. Looking down the driveway, the house to the right has a 7' brick wall entirely enclosing their property and comes right up to our own fence. One of the horizontal supports is conveniently only a foot below this height which would make scaling the brick wall very easy if necessary for escape. The main powerline into our house connects right outside one of the bedroom windows easily within reach and a cable of undetermined purpose (not energized) is mounted about four feet below it. If the power were down this could possibly provide yet another means of escape if it came to it as the anchoring hardware for both are very sturdy and the lines are at a slight decline from the house to the other side. The pole for the powerline is in a neighbors yard (theirs is fully enclosed by a fence with zero gaps around the property) and has an integral maintenance ladder (the posts that are screwed in on the sides).

For my home I give us a 78% chance of surviving a zombie pandemic unless they were the faster and smarter type. This would drop if a very large percentage of the population turned and there were tens or hundreds of thousands of them or more wandering around. If the outbreak's characteristics were such that enough people turned to make things dangerous out there but not so many so quickly that no one ventured outside once they knew what was going on I give us a 54% chance. This is because of the human factor, frankly its sad to say that I'd be more worried about regular people than zombies. However its not exactly a new concept.

So what about you?
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

"Why bring more, when you can take Les"

E&E belt kit thread- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77171

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: How would your home stand up in a zombie attack?

Post by Beowolf » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:10 am

Tagged for later response.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:17 am

We would be toast vs actual zombies. Too many first floor windows. Had we time to get ready we could harden them greatly increasing odds. So it is good TTINST.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Slow, shambling, non-climbing zeds with about 30 minutes to prepare, I'd say we could hold our own.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:42 pm

The physical structure and location? About 50/50.

Too many windows on the ground floor.

Not completely bad, far from ideal.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:55 pm

my building is mostly brick but with a lot of windows... but the good thing is that my closest neighbor is about a mile away
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm on the top floor of a multistory apartment building, all my windows are several stories off the ground and it would be trivial to re-inforce the door by shifting over the refrigerator, so unless they start clawing their way through the drywall, I figure I could hold out for as long as my preps lasted.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:19 pm

200+ year old house built with large stones, and has solid doors with mortice locks. No glass patio doors or attached glass conservatories. The windows are double glazed and in sturdy wooden frames but I still think they'd be the weakest point as they have no shutters.
We don't have a cellar though which could be a disadvantage.
My house isn't going to be easily destroyed by the undead hordes, it'd just be a matter of keeping the windows and doors secured.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Drunkengunner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Drunkengunner » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:11 pm

I was sitting on a LZ at around 4 in the morning one cold day in Afghanistan and I got to thinking about this very topic. I came to the conclusion that my house would do pretty alright. I live on the 7th floor of a tower build to withstand typhoon force winds, so the structure itself is pretty sturdy. I'm pretty sure that my house plan and my house would do quite alright.
Amanda (my wife): "Gunner do you know what zombies are?"
Gunner (my 4 year old): "Bad guys."
Me: "And what do we do when we see zombies?"
Gunner: "Kill them?"
Me: "That's right, we kill them...again."

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Moved to Zombie Combat Tactics.

My house would not fare well. The windows are too large to board up quickly, pre-made hurricane plywood or no, and it would be a bad scene all around.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Currently in an RV. So portability is awesome, and can outrun slow or even fast zombies even with poor maneuverability. If they reach the RV, however, I am toast rather abruptly.

ZAG
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

Faydee

Post by Faydee » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:36 pm

my house is pretty much F'd and i'd have to make it 7 tenths of a mile to my in-laws place that we could hole up in for a long time cause they have a nice choke point stairway to the top floor of their 2 story 1910 brick house PLUS we can get out on top of the front porch easily but it isn;t accessable form the ground and would make a good sniper point and also a place to talk to non-zombies with out them being to access our place...

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 pm

Our house would do pretty well.... We are on the 4th floor with a sturdy doors (they are actually re-enforced). All the doors to stairs open into the stairwell so that's good assuming that the zeds can't work the handle pull the door open, and walk though. The biggest down side to it is that we live downtown.... so the hordes could be coming relentlessly. I give us a 50% chance of long term survival if we bug in, bugging out........ .2% chance of survival
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Let's see: single story dwelling, windows on all four sides, basement access only via going outside the structure and accessing a side door in the foundation. Yeah, I'm pretty much brains in an easy-open can.

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:54 am

Yeah it sounds like an even split between relatively defensible structures and those that would be more akin to a nightmare to secure. Any of you guys with single story homes have some sort of attic or ANY kind of space up there that could be used in an emergency? This reminds me that I need to see if I have one of those (nothing blatantly obvious in the ceiling) as we've only been in the new place a few months and I've not looked at every possibility. What can you guys do to fortify your positions/weak points? Do you have any lumber or suitable materials on hand, would furniture do the trick if needed? Here's something you may or may not know, if you want to barricade a door, don't just push something heavy up to it.

If there is a nearby wall, then stack the sturdiest items in a straight line all the way from the door to the other wall. This way, anything trying to get in is fighting against the structural integrity of the building, not the mere weight of an unanchored object. For example, you could place the fridge against the door as its nearly the full height of a normal door and line furniture up behind that. That way you have a sturdy appliance in direct contact with the door that would be very hard to get through even if the door were physically torn off and its braced against the opposing wall. My front door is set up in a way that it faces the living room and a long hallway so I'd have to make a brace in the floor. Luckily its all hardwood so I can screw some 2x4's to the floor and use others to brace the door with a frame that would still allow me to easily remove them if needed.
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

"Why bring more, when you can take Les"

E&E belt kit thread- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77171

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:01 am

Always remember that whatever keeps others out keeps you in.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:03 am

Just babbling thoughts to toughen up the house…

For low vulnerable glass: Add decorative fake shutters, hung in a removable manner on some REALLY strong mounting points. As a hang in place window shield, how about something along the lines of a chain link fence gate. Pre-zombie apocalypse, the "gates" might be connected as a dog-run, fence around the garden, etc.?

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 am

Pretty well I reckon :D

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:35 pm

2 foot thick granite walls, sitting in a couple of acres surrounded by deer fencing, with clear views and fields of fire across the glen .... 40 miles from town .... bring em on!
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Two feet thick granite? Last I checked bunkers were made out of reinforced concrete, so what gives? :) Figuratively, of course, since 2' of granite likely won't move much. lol

ZAG
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 pm

This is Aberdeenshire , we make EVERYTHING out of granite! LOL
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Well, unfortunately my chances would depend more on my creative problem solving skills and less on the brute strength of the house itself...

It's a one story home with a walk-out (or in) basement, large windows everywhere, no shutters, two sliding glass patio doors, and a 4ft fence between our backyard and a small road/open land. Needless to say, a few pieces of furniture and some spare lumber isn't going to cut it -- I'd need to make a mad dash to the Home Depot across the street. I'm thinking one giant roll of chain-link fencing, a few boxes of large bolts, some sort of fasteners, and a day's time to reinforce every vulnerable opening of my house with fencing!

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Safe room is okay. The rest of the house, not so much.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 pm

I think I'd do pretty well, a pro to living adjacent to a sketchy neighborhood. All the stuff you do to keep criminals out should work well against zombies.

4ft steel fence in front
6ft wood fence in back
Hurricane screen doors on the French doors
Security glass storm doors on the front and side doors
Steel entry door with crossbar lock front door
Steel and lex an side door with two deadbolts
Lexan storm windows in front
Security film on all of the windows
Bars on some of the lower windows
330 gallons of rainwater and 50 gallons of fresh water

Problem is that it is basically a stick frame house. A super strong zombie could probably smash through the wall

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”