A spike to the head, may not work?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Red Tamarillo

A spike to the head, may not work?

Post by Red Tamarillo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:47 am

I've been in the Estwing rock pick anti Zombie camp recently, and even got a Cold Steel spike hawk today (after watching the now disappeared anti Zombie Cold Steel youtube vid).
In the youtube vid the spike penetrated a dead pigs skull and rebounded out because of the wooden handle very easily.

But then I remembered those cases of people who survive a spike/metal fence pailing etc... through the head. They're not doing well when the initial injury occurs but they're not dead. People like Phineas Gage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which made me think a single strike to a Zombie's head with a spiked tool would be no guarantee to stop it functioning.
More destruction would be needed.

fred.greek

Re: A spike to the head, may not work?

Post by fred.greek » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Quite a few zombie stories at least imply that the bacteria/virus/??? acts on the most primitive part of the brain… the "reptilian brain"

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sumer ... iles14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a much smaller "target" then is presented in zombie movies as a terminating impact…

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:49 pm

fred.greek wrote:Quite a few zombie stories at least imply that the bacteria/virus/??? acts on the most primitive part of the brain… the "reptilian brain"

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sumer ... iles14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a much smaller "target" then is presented in zombie movies as a terminating impact…
Yeah, that's why they can't use tools, read, speak. [But that's just one kind of Zombie.]

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm

One of those great mysteries of the universe unfortunately. How much damage, is enough damage to drop a zombie. Unfortunately we will never (hopefully) never know.

A good argument for the double tap.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:27 am

Yes, double tap good. Claws on a hammer are natural double tap.
Or maybe some wiggle waggle? In which case you want it to stick a little.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:40 am

When people kill pigs they tend to saw the knife in and out to kill the thing quicker. It would make sense to do the same with zombies.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 am

Red Tamarillo wrote:I've been in the Estwing rock pick anti Zombie camp recently, and even got a Cold Steel spike hawk today (after watching the now disappeared anti Zombie Cold Steel youtube vid).
In the youtube vid the spike penetrated a dead pigs skull and rebounded out because of the wooden handle very easily.

But then I remembered those cases of people who survive a spike/metal fence pailing etc... through the head. They're not doing well when the initial injury occurs but they're not dead. People like Phineas Gage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which made me think a single strike to a Zombie's head with a spiked tool would be no guarantee to stop it functioning.
One of my favorite moments on Deadliest Warrior was when someone used a spike to impale a skull and that doctor dude says, "That'll change his personality." And I was like, "Aww, someone else liked learning about Phineas Gage." Such an interesting case.

Hey, maybe since his getting impaled turned him into a giant dick, and zombies are already really mean, spiking their skulls will turn them all friendly like puppy dogs.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Spread the joy - use a 12 ga with # 4 buck for maximum coverage! :ooh:

dpurgert
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later.

Post by dpurgert » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:25 am

Well, as we all know zombies are DR 5/Slashing. Go for a machete/sword for maximum damage infliction when using "close quarters" weapons. At range, projectiles "work", but you have to be a good shot. 8-)
Dawgboy: I knew a chick that carried a dog in her purse, everywhere... It was a tiny little Yorkie and it went literally everywhere with her...
cv66er: I prefer oatmeal bars. You don't need to waste time butchering, building a fire, etc.

Wolfe4086
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Series
Zombii Series
Cemetary Man
Zombieland

Post by Wolfe4086 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:13 pm

fred.greek wrote:Quite a few zombie stories at least imply that the bacteria/virus/??? acts on the most primitive part of the brain… the "reptilian brain"

This is why a bolt/arrow would not be totally effective. That is a small triangle on the face you have to hit and transfer energy to to take down. I beleive the great Kenny B made mention of that once. :)
"The price of failure is to be paid for in blood" Sensei Yamashita - Tanaka Corporation School of Assassins

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:30 am

The need to affect a large part of the brain is definitely there I think. One of the main reasons that people advocate the use of .22 rounds, no? They enter the skull then rattle around and blend the brains up?
I think while a spike will definitely ensure penetration of the skull, a ball peen hammer might do more damage to a larger area and give a greater chance of hitting something vital. Or something with a faceted head, like a flanged mace.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:38 am

Fugglesby wrote: One of the main reasons that people advocate the use of .22 rounds, no? They enter the skull then rattle around and blend the brains up?
Goddammit no. Well let me roll that back, I'm sure that's why some people do, but that's because those people are dumb. Bullets do not pinball around inside the head, the urban legend is false. Further, if you want to shut down the human body, there's only one part you need to destroy. Small lump at the base of the brain, or failing that anything above the C5 in the spine will prevent any signals from being sent to any motor muscles below the neck. At that point, treat Bitey like a rattlesnake, and avoid getting any limbs near the mouth.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Doctor Fab. Should've done my fact checking. I like your name by the way :)

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:14 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:

Yeah, that's why they can't use tools, read, speak. [But that's just one kind of Zombie.]

But unlike animals we have a really useless reptilian brain. Which is why a baby takes years to walk and a horse is standing in a few minutes.

apocalypsepal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by apocalypsepal » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Red Tamarillo wrote:I've been in the Estwing rock pick anti Zombie camp recently, and even got a Cold Steel spike hawk today (after watching the now disappeared anti Zombie Cold Steel youtube vid).

It really depends on mythology used to simulate the z-day events. In some cases, all it takes is decapitation. Other times, the body will keep moving. Are you talking solely animated corpses according to physiological norms?
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”