It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:47 pm 

azrael99 wrote:
about the ''aim to the head'' thing. some people think that a common fmj bullet would not have enough power to destroy enough of the brain to actually touch the vital part of the brain from a zombie

what about the ''grenade ammo'' ?

theses littles anti-vermin bullet

would they be able to inflict enough damage inside the head without being a hazard to the surrounding survivor ?

Don't believe everything the mainstream media tells you. FMJ will penetrate (or overpenetrate) more than hollowpoints, segmented, or "grenade" ammo of equal speed and weight, because it stays together rather than expanding or fragmenting. This allows the FMJ to maintain its energy, rather than transferring it to the surrounding tissue.

Unless you weren't talking about penetration but rather tissue damage. In that case, I'm not sure how finely the brain would need to be diced, so I can't tell you if FMJ would end brain function or not. Go for the jaw/brainstem twofer, if they don't stop moving, at least their bite will be diminished. Maybe.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:49 pm 

ZHT-1A wrote:

That is pretty funny you to mention those "facts" considering your "Shotguns are overrated" thread.

Anything in particular you're concerned with, or are you just trolling?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:13 pm 

zero11010 wrote:
ZHT-1A wrote:

That is pretty funny you to mention those "facts" considering your "Shotguns are overrated" thread.

Nope. Just pointing out the "FACTS."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:37 pm 

ZHT-1A wrote:
zero11010 wrote:
ZHT-1A wrote:

Nope. Just pointing out the "FACTS."

So, just trolling. I gotcha!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 am 

What about using your surroundings as an advantage?

Nobody wants to face a horde of hungry zombies. But everyone wants to find shelter in a place that *bottlenecks* incoming zombies, forcing them to have to walk single-file to get to you.

Or, perhaps, even having to climb a ladder single-file to get to you.

What about a Bug Out Location that is a ranger station in a park? You go up the ladder, close and latch the horizontal door behind you. If they make it up the ladder, not only are they incredibly smart in zombie I.Q., but they're sitting ducks if they breech the latch and force the door open. Just shoot the first one (brain or otherwise) and watch it take down the ten under it like a bowling ball takes out pins!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:30 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

As Bigeyeebrows and Learntwoshoot pointed out, if you can't hit the brain because yoi took dump in your adrenals or whatever, or if a brain shot doesn't work (You mean the movie lied?), a pelvic shot may give you a "M-kill" (Mobility Kill) as opposed to the ideal K-kill (totally deadicated). The cargo pants and polos crowd talk bout "Mozambique drills," which is two in the chest one in the head. At Milcopp we learned a variant NSR (Non-Standard Response or Failure to Stop) which was chest-chest-pelvis. The logic being that the pelvis is big, doesn't wave around, and if you break it they can't walk.

Against zombies, I'd go head-head-pelvis. Trying for that K-kill like I've seen in the movies (except Return of the Living Dead), but before I run I'll slow em down with a hip shot, or else hip shot then close in and coup-de-grace 'em.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:40 am 

It was brought to my attention by a friend with some actual combat credentials, that a handgun caliber may not reliably shatter the pelvic bone to the point of physical incapacitation. It would almost certainly put a hole thru it or crack it... but is that enough to drop someone where they stand?

Anyone who knows more about this care to chime in? At what degree of damage does the pelvic bone stop being able to physically support weight regardless of pain and adrenaline?

All the more reason to use a rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:43 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Sworbeyegib wrote:

It was brought to my attention by a friend with some actual combat credentials, that a handgun caliber may not reliably shatter the pelvic bone to the point of physical incapacitation. It would almost certainly put a hole thru it or crack it... but is that enough to drop someone where they stand?

Anyone who knows more about this care to chime in? At what degree of damage does the pelvic bone stop being able to physically support weight regardless of pain and adrenaline?

All the more reason to use a rifle.

If rifle is an option, rifle is the answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:38 am 

Dash wrote:
Mostly right.

Anyone who has seen a zombie movie, or heard someone talking about a zombie movie, or ever watched a program that references zombies in anyways knows…

Aim for the head.
    Destroy the brain.
    Go for the grey matter.

Shooting anywhere else is a waste of ammo, right?

I wouldn’t go that far. First off, always aiming for head shot is gonna “waste” a lot of ammo, unless you are a crack-shot or get up close and personal. Becoming a crack shot can take some time, and even crack-shots can miss one target in a firefight, and getting all up in the zombie’s business sort of defeats the purpose of a projectile weapon.

That being said, the brain is the sure fire way to kill a zombie, as well as pretty much everything else. A well placed bullet in that reanimated nun’s noodle will do the trick, but a spine or leg shot will slow that bitch down.Killing every zombie that crosses your path is a good way to end up zombie food, most people will agree. In a world of 7 billion people, you aren’t gonna put a huge dent in the zombie population.

In most cases, a firearm should only be used when absolutely necessary to avoid attracting attention, and missing a critical head shot could mean your ass, or someone in your group. Going for a crippling, but not fatal spine/leg shot that you can hit 100% of the time, is better than a head shot you can hit 98% of the time. That extra bullet will be a very generous price for a life.

When in doubt, put them down, then out.

via axebros.com

Look for my post at this link: https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=112238&p=2589570#p2589570.
I agree with not aiming for the head and give an alternative solution to that issue.