It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 am 

I agree with the prion pathogen part. Apart from the practical benefits of a worst case scenario, it'd be the most likely culprit for a proper zombie outbreak, due to its sturdy nature, ability to exist in different climates and heats and how zombie matter remains infectious when removed from the host and whatnot.
Plus if you have a look at the kinds of diseases which prions cause in humans such as Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (like mad cow disease but for humans) they have the kind of symptoms which we associate with zombies.
"rapidly progressive dementia, leading to memory loss, personality changes and hallucinations. This is accompanied by physical problems such as speech impairment, jerky movements (myoclonus), balance and coordination dysfunction (ataxia), changes in gait, rigid posture, and seizures."
Plus the infection occurs in the brain, which backs up the whole destroy the head thing.
Better just not to use weapons for food prep.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 am 

Alcohol hand gel?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:57 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I heard an old axiom that sounds all ancient and profound and shit:
Don't eat with your killin' knife.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:04 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:09 pm 

AKFTW wrote:

lol awesome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:48 pm 

AKFTW wrote:

I thought tupperware should go on the top rack.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 pm 

Meh.. That really doesn't do a good job.

Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html

Please also like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:22 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Single malt Scotch

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 am 

Prions scare the hell out of me. That's not something that should exist.

Build a zombie a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a zombie on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm 

I guess I am confused, there seems to be quite a descripency concerning the amount of bleach required.

One post from the CDC says "add ¼ cup of bleach to 1 gallon" and another from the EPA says "8 drops for dirty water per gallon" so whose is right? Or should I ask who has jurisdiction over Zombies, the CDC or the EPA? Maybe we need a new government agency the ZCA (Zombie Control Agency) CZC (Center for Zombie Control) ZPA (zombie Protection Agency) humm, that can't be right.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm 

Bleach & the pressure washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Once, my wife used my saucepan to dissolve a Polaroid for a transfer (or something), and I was pissed because I liked that saucepan, she hadn't asked me, it has a lid, and I have a steamer basket that really only fits that saucepan. (Most of our kitchenware is "ours" but that one saucepan was "mine.") Anyway, not a big deal, but the point is, she said I should never use it for food again. I sanded it with varying grits of sandpaper, til I was removing the top layer of steel, but still she, and every one else I knew, was telling me, "Eh, I wouldn't risk it. The chemicals might have penetrated the steel and could give you some long-term toxicity if you use it over and over again." So I didn't.

And you guys are seriously talking about the best way to wipe down a blade, after sticking it directly into a rotting, reanimated corpse's central nervous system, intentionally submerging it in the very stuff you KNOW is the vector of contagion for the worse disease imaginable, so that you can then go back to using it for making PB&Js?

All this bleach & boil stuff sounds great in theory, but in practice, let me tell you: if I ever have to use an edged weapon for self-defense against a person who might have a blood-borne illness, I'm not likely to use it for food prep ever again. If it's been hilt-deep in zombie brains, that shit is for fucking certain.

Edit to add: Asking how to clean your weapons after killing a zombie, so you can go back to using them for food preparation, is like asking how to clean your sex toys after loaning them to an AIDS patient, so you can go back to using them yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

tedbeau wrote:
I guess I am confused, there seems to be quite a descripency concerning the amount of bleach required.

One post from the CDC says "add ¼ cup of bleach to 1 gallon" and another from the EPA says "8 drops for dirty water per gallon" so whose is right? Or should I ask who has jurisdiction over Zombies, the CDC or the EPA? Maybe we need a new government agency the ZCA (Zombie Control Agency) CZC (Center for Zombie Control) ZPA (zombie Protection Agency) humm, that can't be right.

1/4 cup to 1 gallon = for washing and cleaning surfaces as a solution. I've seen this go up to 3/4 cup.
8 drops for cloudy = for drinking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Jeriah wrote:
Once, my wife used my saucepan to dissolve a Polaroid for a transfer (or something), and I was pissed because I liked that saucepan, she hadn't asked me, it has a lid, and I have a steamer basket that really only fits that saucepan. (Most of our kitchenware is "ours" but that one saucepan was "mine.") Anyway, not a big deal, but the point is, she said I should never use it for food again. I sanded it with varying grits of sandpaper, til I was removing the top layer of steel, but still she, and every one else I knew, was telling me, "Eh, I wouldn't risk it. The chemicals might have penetrated the steel and could give you some long-term toxicity if you use it over and over again." So I didn't.

And you guys are seriously talking about the best way to wipe down a blade, after sticking it directly into a rotting, reanimated corpse's central nervous system, intentionally submerging it in the very stuff you KNOW is the vector of contagion for the worse disease imaginable, so that you can then go back to using it for making PB&Js?

All this bleach & boil stuff sounds great in theory, but in practice, let me tell you: if I ever have to use an edged weapon for self-defense against a person who might have a blood-borne illness, I'm not likely to use it for food prep ever again. If it's been hilt-deep in zombie brains, that shit is for fucking certain.

Edit to add: Asking how to clean your weapons after killing a zombie, so you can go back to using them for food preparation, is like asking how to clean your sex toys after loaning them to an AIDS patient, so you can go back to using them yourself.

Like I originally posted - knife for eatin', knife for killin'. 2 different tools.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:09 pm 

ninja-elbow wrote:
tedbeau wrote:

1/4 cup to 1 gallon = for washing and cleaning surfaces as a solution. I've seen this go up to 3/4 cup.
8 drops for cloudy = for drinking.

OK that makes sense I guess, except that it means that the knife blade is going to be cleaner than the water we are drinking based on the amount of bleach used. Granted I wouldn't think drinking a high concetration of bleach would be tastey or healthy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:11 am 

Im with those who say dont risk it, have a tool for killing and a tool for food prep.
Same goes for hunting tools.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:14 pm 

A lesson from my dad whilst hunting: Diet 7-Up takes blood and tallow off a knife very well, and can be used for washing your hands clean just as well.

No sugar in the soda means things don't get sticky.

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:54 pm 

Kutter_0311 wrote:
A lesson from my dad whilst hunting: Diet 7-Up takes blood and tallow off a knife very well, and can be used for washing your hands clean just as well.

No sugar in the soda means things don't get sticky.

Yes, but if zombism is transmitted by prions, you're not getting them off any kind of implement without an autoclave. Maybe not even with an autoclave. It's best to have one instrument for killing zombies and not use it for anything else.

Sent via carrier wave

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:20 pm 

Why not just have 2 knives, one for eating and 1 for zombie killing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:04 pm 

jabames wrote:
Like, after a zombie has been killed with maybe a knife or an axe, how would we clean the weapon afterwards? I mean the tool could be used for eating or skinning, and the virus or what ever it may be would be still on the weapon. So something like clorox would kill something like that? Maybe I can like use a pocket knife for eating needs or skinning game etc. and a fixed blade for general self defense/utility, and maybe my tomahawk for cutting down dead saplings or a machete for a bladed back up weapon etc...

This really depends on the "type" of zombie you are raging against. Let's assume that the zombie carries some transferable disease that you could potentially catch from various... leavings. Wipe it clean and disinfect it, if possible. Otherwise, boil the bejeezus out of it.

If the zombies do not carry any transferable viruses, then the cleaning process could be much more lax. Of course, unless your a viral biologist, you might not know what kind of zombie you are facing when the SHTF. To be safe, just boil everything. :wink: