How do we clean weapons after we kill a zombie?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Fugglesby

Re: How do we clean weapons after we kill a zombie?

Post by Fugglesby » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 am

I agree with the prion pathogen part. Apart from the practical benefits of a worst case scenario, it'd be the most likely culprit for a proper zombie outbreak, due to its sturdy nature, ability to exist in different climates and heats and how zombie matter remains infectious when removed from the host and whatnot.
Plus if you have a look at the kinds of diseases which prions cause in humans such as Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (like mad cow disease but for humans) they have the kind of symptoms which we associate with zombies.
"rapidly progressive dementia, leading to memory loss, personality changes and hallucinations. This is accompanied by physical problems such as speech impairment, jerky movements (myoclonus), balance and coordination dysfunction (ataxia), changes in gait, rigid posture, and seizures."
Plus the infection occurs in the brain, which backs up the whole destroy the head thing.
Better just not to use weapons for food prep.

MAJOR_SNAKEBITE

Post by MAJOR_SNAKEBITE » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 am

Alcohol hand gel?

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:57 pm

I heard an old axiom that sounds all ancient and profound and shit:
Don't eat with your killin' knife.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:04 pm

docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

jabames

Post by jabames » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:09 pm

AKFTW wrote:Image
lol awesome

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:48 pm

AKFTW wrote:Image
I thought tupperware should go on the top rack.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Meh.. That really doesn't do a good job.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:22 am

Single malt Scotch
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Jed_Eckert
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Planet Terror, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later

Post by Jed_Eckert » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 am

Prions scare the hell out of me. That's not something that should exist.
Joe

Build a zombie a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a zombie on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm

I guess I am confused, there seems to be quite a descripency concerning the amount of bleach required.

One post from the CDC says "add ¼ cup of bleach to 1 gallon" and another from the EPA says "8 drops for dirty water per gallon" so whose is right? Or should I ask who has jurisdiction over Zombies, the CDC or the EPA? Maybe we need a new government agency the ZCA (Zombie Control Agency) CZC (Center for Zombie Control) ZPA (zombie Protection Agency) humm, that can't be right.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Bleach & the pressure washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get off my lawn!!

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Once, my wife used my saucepan to dissolve a Polaroid for a transfer (or something), and I was pissed because I liked that saucepan, she hadn't asked me, it has a lid, and I have a steamer basket that really only fits that saucepan. (Most of our kitchenware is "ours" but that one saucepan was "mine.") Anyway, not a big deal, but the point is, she said I should never use it for food again. I sanded it with varying grits of sandpaper, til I was removing the top layer of steel, but still she, and every one else I knew, was telling me, "Eh, I wouldn't risk it. The chemicals might have penetrated the steel and could give you some long-term toxicity if you use it over and over again." So I didn't.

And you guys are seriously talking about the best way to wipe down a blade, after sticking it directly into a rotting, reanimated corpse's central nervous system, intentionally submerging it in the very stuff you KNOW is the vector of contagion for the worse disease imaginable, so that you can then go back to using it for making PB&Js?

All this bleach & boil stuff sounds great in theory, but in practice, let me tell you: if I ever have to use an edged weapon for self-defense against a person who might have a blood-borne illness, I'm not likely to use it for food prep ever again. If it's been hilt-deep in zombie brains, that shit is for fucking certain.

Edit to add: Asking how to clean your weapons after killing a zombie, so you can go back to using them for food preparation, is like asking how to clean your sex toys after loaning them to an AIDS patient, so you can go back to using them yourself.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 pm

tedbeau wrote:I guess I am confused, there seems to be quite a descripency concerning the amount of bleach required.

One post from the CDC says "add ¼ cup of bleach to 1 gallon" and another from the EPA says "8 drops for dirty water per gallon" so whose is right? Or should I ask who has jurisdiction over Zombies, the CDC or the EPA? Maybe we need a new government agency the ZCA (Zombie Control Agency) CZC (Center for Zombie Control) ZPA (zombie Protection Agency) humm, that can't be right.
1/4 cup to 1 gallon = for washing and cleaning surfaces as a solution. I've seen this go up to 3/4 cup.
8 drops for cloudy = for drinking.
President ZSC011

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Jeriah wrote:Once, my wife used my saucepan to dissolve a Polaroid for a transfer (or something), and I was pissed because I liked that saucepan, she hadn't asked me, it has a lid, and I have a steamer basket that really only fits that saucepan. (Most of our kitchenware is "ours" but that one saucepan was "mine.") Anyway, not a big deal, but the point is, she said I should never use it for food again. I sanded it with varying grits of sandpaper, til I was removing the top layer of steel, but still she, and every one else I knew, was telling me, "Eh, I wouldn't risk it. The chemicals might have penetrated the steel and could give you some long-term toxicity if you use it over and over again." So I didn't.

And you guys are seriously talking about the best way to wipe down a blade, after sticking it directly into a rotting, reanimated corpse's central nervous system, intentionally submerging it in the very stuff you KNOW is the vector of contagion for the worse disease imaginable, so that you can then go back to using it for making PB&Js?

All this bleach & boil stuff sounds great in theory, but in practice, let me tell you: if I ever have to use an edged weapon for self-defense against a person who might have a blood-borne illness, I'm not likely to use it for food prep ever again. If it's been hilt-deep in zombie brains, that shit is for fucking certain.

Edit to add: Asking how to clean your weapons after killing a zombie, so you can go back to using them for food preparation, is like asking how to clean your sex toys after loaning them to an AIDS patient, so you can go back to using them yourself.
Like I originally posted - knife for eatin', knife for killin'. 2 different tools.
President ZSC011

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:09 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
tedbeau wrote:I guess I am confused, there seems to be quite a descripency concerning the amount of bleach required.

1/4 cup to 1 gallon = for washing and cleaning surfaces as a solution. I've seen this go up to 3/4 cup.
8 drops for cloudy = for drinking.

OK that makes sense I guess, except that it means that the knife blade is going to be cleaner than the water we are drinking based on the amount of bleach used. Granted I wouldn't think drinking a high concetration of bleach would be tastey or healthy.

Citizen-Z

Post by Citizen-Z » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:11 am

Im with those who say dont risk it, have a tool for killing and a tool for food prep.
Same goes for hunting tools.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:14 pm

A lesson from my dad whilst hunting: Diet 7-Up takes blood and tallow off a knife very well, and can be used for washing your hands clean just as well.

No sugar in the soda means things don't get sticky.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:54 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:A lesson from my dad whilst hunting: Diet 7-Up takes blood and tallow off a knife very well, and can be used for washing your hands clean just as well.

No sugar in the soda means things don't get sticky.
Yes, but if zombism is transmitted by prions, you're not getting them off any kind of implement without an autoclave. Maybe not even with an autoclave. It's best to have one instrument for killing zombies and not use it for anything else.

Sent via carrier wave
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

ParanoidMedic

Post by ParanoidMedic » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Why not just have 2 knives, one for eating and 1 for zombie killing

apocalypsepal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by apocalypsepal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:04 pm

jabames wrote:Like, after a zombie has been killed with maybe a knife or an axe, how would we clean the weapon afterwards? I mean the tool could be used for eating or skinning, and the virus or what ever it may be would be still on the weapon. So something like clorox would kill something like that? Maybe I can like use a pocket knife for eating needs or skinning game etc. and a fixed blade for general self defense/utility, and maybe my tomahawk for cutting down dead saplings or a machete for a bladed back up weapon etc...
This really depends on the "type" of zombie you are raging against. Let's assume that the zombie carries some transferable disease that you could potentially catch from various... leavings. Wipe it clean and disinfect it, if possible. Otherwise, boil the bejeezus out of it.

If the zombies do not carry any transferable viruses, then the cleaning process could be much more lax. Of course, unless your a viral biologist, you might not know what kind of zombie you are facing when the SHTF. To be safe, just boil everything. :wink:
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”