It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:36 am 

Like, after a zombie has been killed with maybe a knife or an axe, how would we clean the weapon afterwards? I mean the tool could be used for eating or skinning, and the virus or what ever it may be would be still on the weapon. So something like clorox would kill something like that? Maybe I can like use a pocket knife for eating needs or skinning game etc. and a fixed blade for general self defense/utility, and maybe my tomahawk for cutting down dead saplings or a machete for a bladed back up weapon etc...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 am 

I would guess you could disinfect it the same way as you do for a flu virus.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/school/cleaning.htm

"If an EPA-registered disinfectant is not available, use a fresh chlorine bleach solution. To make and use the solution:
Add 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 quart (4 cups) of water. For a larger supply of disinfectant, add ¼ cup of bleach to 1 gallon (16 cups) of water.
Apply the solution to the surface with a cloth.
Let it stand for 3 to 5 minutes.
Rinse the surface with clean water."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 am 

Sweeet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:54 am 

In zombieland, the way they seemed to get around it was by driving around with an suv of assorted tools and weapons. Use once, then dump it and grab another. The banjo was my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 am 

Seems legit, lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:17 am 

i agree with the bleach

but don't waste it. for what i've been told (and what i actually use) you need one spoon of bleach for every 2 cup of water. be sure to use sterile water or at least boil it for at least 5 to 10 min.

if your weapon is made of high carbon steel don't forget to dry it and put a slim amount of oil on it (baby oil, mineral oil, deep fry oil, for as long as it clean and not thick AVOID motor oil )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:00 am 

I think if you don't have disinfectants (may be hard to find at that point), just put the blade in the campfire. Don't overheat it, though, or else the steel may loose its hardness. Should be OK if you just use the open flames of a wood fire.

My blog: http://www.slingshotchannel.blogspot.de/

My forum: http://www.theslingshotforum.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16 am 

Maybe just wipe it clean or rinse it in a pool of water, then expose it to flames a lil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 am 

I've always wondered this very question!
My answer would be not to use a knife with infected blood for food prep as it's a pretty risky move compared to just using another knife. You never know if the blood might have found a way to shelter from your cleaning treatments in pits int eh finish or perhaps embedded in durakote.
HOWEVER!
I have a bit of a background in biology, of all things and I can give a pretty definitive answer right here.
Assuming the outbreak is caused by any known pathogen type (bacterial, fungal, macroparasite, protozoan, virus, prion) and is capable of taking up residence in humans, then if subjected to temperatures outside that of human body temperature (37 degrees celcius/98.6 fahrenheit), the enzymes and protein bonds within the pathogen would begin to break up or denature rapidly. This could be achieved through freezing, though it's not advised or by simple heating the blade or weapon. I suggest this be done in boiling water, as 100 degrees celcius is enough to kill all pathogens apart from certain extremophiles (nasties that live in deep sea vents or in ice or hot springs). This solution will work when disenfectants and scrubbing and dishwashers won't if the pathogen was a virus or prion as they aren't actually living creatures, instead merely kind of chemical processes that reproduce themselves. This makes them very hard to kill. And creepy as all hell. Extremophiles could be dealt with through the fire, but it should be noted that these can't survive at room temperature either, so I doubt they'd be an issue unless your zombie plan involves deep sea diving or bathing in sulphuric boiling lakes caused by hot springs :P
Now as for your knife's temper, it will be able to be submerged in boiling water indefinitely as this temperature is not hot enough to affect a knife's hardness. The lowest kind of heat which can affect a knife's hardness varies depending on steel, but for 1095, 01 and 5160 at least, it's around 140 degrees celcius, well above boiling water. Assuming your knife's steel is very odd and can be tempered below this temperature, keep in mind that you knife has already been tempered at a much higher temperature in all probability (reducing RC hardness from the 60's to low or mid 50's). This means that this low temperature would have even less of an effect. I suggest to perhaps be wary of having the knife edge touching the sides of your container (if metal) of boiling water as these would be hotter. I also don't think having the knife sitting in the container as the water is being brought to a boil is a good idea, nor is quickly waving the knife through the flames of the fire. A fire is very unpredictable temperature wise in most cases, but ignoring heat treat I just don't think it would give a thorough enough clean. Better safe than zombified, right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:03 pm 

My zombie defense weapons aren't practical for dressing game or fixing dinner with so I would have separate utensils for that.

On the bleach for disinfecting water, I believe it is around 3-5 drops per gallon for mildly cloudy water, 8 drops for dirty water per gallon... I was close, per the EPA: http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/eme ... ection.cfm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 pm 

Just watch out with bleach, that's an oxidizer and will rust anything you put in it if you're not careful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 pm 

Dragonblight wrote:
Just watch out with bleach, that's an oxidizer and will rust anything you put in it if you're not careful.
This... is what I clicked to say :lol:

Especially carbon steel, it will rust so fast you can literally watch it.

Heat can kill most buggies, but again, for blades watch heating beyond a few hundred degrees, and messing up your heat treat... which may be very hard to do... When water boils on it STOP HEATING! (or that may be too late, gotta ask stormcrow).

Alcohol is not too bad, but it may remove any oil and that may cause rust later... So clean, and re-oil your carbon steels!

Boiling water might be best, if you can fit the weapons in a pot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:57 pm 

How about boiling the water, then pouring it on the blade?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I used a garden hose the last time I killed a Zombie.

But really, disinfect as you would anything else. Dumping boiling water on it is a good example.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:33 pm 

maldon007 wrote:
Dragonblight wrote:

Heat can kill most buggies, but again, for blades watch heating beyond a few hundred degrees, and messing up your heat treat... which may be very hard to do... When water boils on it STOP HEATING! (or that may be too late, gotta ask stormcrow).

Alcohol is not too bad, but it may remove any oil and that may cause rust later... So clean, and re-oil your carbon steels!

As long as water is touching the blade it can't really go above 212'F, unless under pressure, which is not a bad idea = autoclave, pressure cooker etc. though, from my reading on preserving foods with pressure canner, there are supposedly some bacteria that are heat-resistant enough to make it through pressure canning = this is also the reason strict procedures have to be followed with cool down times in canning so the heat resistant stuff doesn't linger at high temps and have a chance to multiply.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm 

SteveCA wrote:
maldon007 wrote:
Dragonblight wrote:

As long as water is touching the blade it can't really go above 212'F, unless under pressure, which is not a bad idea = autoclave, pressure cooker etc. though, from my reading on preserving foods with pressure canner, there are supposedly some bacteria that are heat-resistant enough to make it through pressure canning = this is also the reason strict procedures have to be followed with cool down times in canning so the heat resistant stuff doesn't linger at high temps and have a chance to multiply.

I was refering to heating a blade in a fire, as people are known to do... And warning not to heat it past when water will sizzle, when flicked onto it.

Boiling water may or may not kill everything, if poured on the blade, as the cool blade will not reach 212 from this action & thick gunk on the blade may also resist displacement or through & through heating, if say only a quart of water was used.... But this is mostly supposition... And this should probably be moved to zombie tactics :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 pm 

If you're really keen on a professional job, an autoclave is the way to go. Also, these aren't the hardest objects to find in an apocalypse scenario.
High schools that teach biology would have an autoclave, which is pretty much every high school in australia. Not sure about other countries.
Other places to look are tattoo parlours, beauty salons (for sterlising equipment for puncturing ear lobes and the like) and of course hospitals, though I'd say that's a pretty big dick move.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 pm 

Use your hanky.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 pm 

Chiburi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiburi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Moved to Zombie Combat Tactics.

JamesCannon wrote:
I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.

Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Pig wrote:
How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 pm 

Kelvar wrote:
Moved to Zombie Combat Tactics.

Aiight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:23 am 

If zombism is spread by prions, you might not be able to clean your zombie-dispatching tool. Prions are proteins, so chemicals won't neutralize them, and it is difficult to achieve heat sufficient to destroy them even with an autoclave.

Sent via mimeograph.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:08 am 

then the safest way is to avoid using that weapon for other task than dealing with zombie .

other then, rinse, and swipe (but avoid using clean water since it would be a waste and avoid cleaning your weapon close to water source to not contaminate it. and obviously , watch out to not injure yourself while cleaning your weapon )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 am 

jabames wrote:
Like, after a zombie has been killed with maybe a knife or an axe, how would we clean the weapon afterwards? I mean the tool could be used for eating or skinning, and the virus or what ever it may be would be still on the weapon. So something like clorox would kill something like that? Maybe I can like use a pocket knife for eating needs or skinning game etc. and a fixed blade for general self defense/utility, and maybe my tomahawk for cutting down dead saplings or a machete for a bladed back up weapon etc...

Well, I'd hope that you wouldn't use a machete or tomahawk for food prep, so as long as you use a separate sheath, there shouldn't be too big of a problem.

IMO, the bigger problem at hand is blood spray/exposure. You might not use that machete for food prep, but if you're not wearing gloves or otherwise maintain division of contact between your instruments (i.e disinfect handle somehow, or disinfect hands), you might end up eating zombie virus anyway. Especially with bladed weapons (that blood trickling down the handle won't just be for show).

If it's a prion, there's almost no hope for field-expedient cleaning methods. Autoclave at 121 C with lye solution for an hour, because you'll have to go full lethal on that stuff to make it die (the CDC recommends using multiple cycles of this and possibly cycles with bleach along with the standard 212 F sterilization treatment). You might as well just discard it at that point, since that sort of treatment would kill your blade too.

Might as well assume prion and keep weapons separate from utility (and if all you have is utility, well, RUN).